Average Rating: 6.2/10
Reviews Counted: 9
Fresh: 6 | Rotten: 3
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 1
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 2.8/5
User Ratings: 2,733
An experiment in bovine genetic modification goes horrifically wrong in writer/director Billy O'Brien's debut feature, Isolation. John Lynch stars as Dan a cattle farmer on the remote Irish countryside, whose ex, Orla (Essie Davis of the Matrix films), a veterinarian, has convinced him to take part in a profit-driven experiment on his cows, run by John (Marcel Iures), an officious scientist who seems very concerned with maintaining secrecy. Orla is conducting a routine check on a pregnant cow,
Mar 17, 2006 Wide
Jun 26, 2007
First Look Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Novice writer-director Billy O'Brien brings a seriousness of purpose and a modicum of showmanship to the task of serving generic B-movie cheese in Isolation
Working from a rather inauspicious premise ... writer-director Billy O'Brien conjures a remarkable genre achievement: a somber, sad, and absolutely convincing film that is also genuinely terrifying.
Isolation is a claustrophobic, increasingly icky chiller that is just as horrifying for its underlying ideas as for the more visceral shocks that it presents on screen.
Taking itself far too seriously and nearly devoid of suspense, Isolation gets kudos for a nice try... but I can't recommend it.
Will the movie, which was actually quite cool and stylish for the first half, turn into a typical sci-fi/horror/slasher flick? Yes.
Audience Reviews for Isolation
- Orla: It's a fetus, Dan. The calf is pregnant. Fuck! This is unbelievable. They're completely malformed. The bone structure's gone haywire. The skeleton's on the outside.
- Orla: [on the phone] John, we have to shut it all down. It's gone wrong.
- John: That's impossible. My cells,it's corrupting them. The creature can infect humans. It's the bite. we have to stop it getting off the farm.
- John: This rate of cellular growth is off the scale. There are human cells mixed up with it. Orla's cells.
- Dan: We can't leave the farm.
Discuss Isolation on our Movie forum!