It Should Happen to You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It Should Happen to You Reviews

½ September 5, 2010
Brilliantly directed by Cukor, and brilliantly acted by the great cast. This movie is hilarious, and a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.
jjnxn
October 21, 2008
Lovely comedy with some sharp observations. Judy is radiant and Jack's debut performance is a gem.
½ January 20, 2012
I saw this movie on TCM and Ben Mankiewicz's intro summed it all up...."The story is as current as today's reality shows. The idea of being famous not because you're talented or accomplished, but just because you're famous."
January 20, 2010
Judy Holliday is a one of a kind actress, and it's a shame she didn't make more films. There is no one else quite like her. She is always such a delight and so genuine. This movie is a fine addition to her resume, fun, with a unique story and it's very well handled. It works, thanks to Judy and a great first role for Jack Lemmon. Excellent George Cukor direction.
June 14, 2007
A charming little film about a New York documentary filmmaker and a would-be model who invests all of her money in a billboard.
April 22, 2013
A small town girl moves into New York city to make it big, but is disappointed in her naivity to see that nothing has happened yet. So she takes matters into her own hands and buys a billbard to put her own name on it; and this suddenly gives her overnight fame. Witty concept for a witty romantic comedy that should also be noted for featuring the debut of Jack Lemmon. Judy Holliday plays the na´ve small town girl to perfection, and her relationship with Lemmon, who plays a documentarian, is very sweet down to the final sequence that is simply charming. All the while, Cukor's direction makes the film seem very much like a product of its time.
January 17, 2011
Yes, I am guilty. I watched this yesterday and it was a train wreck. I kept thinking it would get better but at the end of the picture my husband who so kindly endured it with me voiced, "that is an hour and a half of my life I will never get back." Not too far from the truth... it was pretty cheesy and exhausting the idea of the poor dumb blonde. She acts like a 10 year old innocent girl through out the movie as she is "wooed" into being used as property. Lesson well learned for young girls who misconstrue the celeb life for a woman to be a glamorous fairy tale. If I had a chance to see the movie again... I would pass and suggest you do too unless you like the dumb blonde air head movies.
October 25, 2007
*** (out of four)

A rather typical set up is given a fresh look mainly due to a fun and endearing performance from Judy Holliday. She is so warm and loveable that she helps you forget the somewhat routine script.

Holliday plays a young woman who moves to New York to make it in the world. She rents out a billboard and becomes a sensation in the Big Apple.

Peter Lawford and Jack Lemmon add fine support, but it is Holliday's movie all the way.
September 16, 2010
Not bad for a dumb blonde brand romantic comedy. Visually, it's a great slice of mid-century NYC -- the clothes, cars, billboards, TV shows and ads are to die for. Also, Jack Lemmon circa 1954 = swoon.
½ January 24, 2010
A "sort of" classic plot... one of my favorite films. I love practically every scene, especially the last one.

3 1/2 out of 4
August 2, 2005
½ November 8, 2004
A pretty fun film, with bright cheery performances from Lemmon and Holliday. Holliday is at best when playing the comedic role; at times her dramatic scenes feel very forced. The real star here though is Garson Kanin, whose screenplay is clever and witty and even bit a quirky here and there.

B:fresh:
January 25, 2004
(VHS) (First Viewing, 6th Cukor film)