It Should Happen to You Reviews

½ December 27, 2014
Jack Lemmon's feature film debut came in this sprightly comedy about getting 15 minutes of fame before Andy Warhol ever coined the phrase. With writing by Garson Kanin and direction by George Cukor, It Should Happen To You takes on the quality of a can't miss proposition... Carefree in Manhattan--Judy Holliday should happen to anybody, she had a gift for capturing the childlike quality of the pure of heart "dumb blonde"... A lot of heart and humor!!
½ November 7, 2013
George Cukor directed this fun lightweight satire about Judy Holliday wanting to make it big in NYC and when she has trouble doing it, she takes out a major billboard advertising her name. Although it didn't really work so well for Angelyne in the 1980s, the billboard works quite well for Holliday in getting her famous. Jack Lemmon, in his first film appearance, is her earnest neighbor and Rat Packer Peter Lawford is the schmoozy advertising executive. I think this is the first film I've seen with Judy Holliday and she is affable enough, but I didn't really get a sense of her being a major star or screen presence. Lemmon however is terrific and really carried the film for me.
April 22, 2013
A small town girl moves into New York city to make it big, but is disappointed in her naivity to see that nothing has happened yet. So she takes matters into her own hands and buys a billbard to put her own name on it; and this suddenly gives her overnight fame. Witty concept for a witty romantic comedy that should also be noted for featuring the debut of Jack Lemmon. Judy Holliday plays the na´ve small town girl to perfection, and her relationship with Lemmon, who plays a documentarian, is very sweet down to the final sequence that is simply charming. All the while, Cukor's direction makes the film seem very much like a product of its time.
January 29, 2012
haha. some brilliant, funny lines here delivered in such a dumb blonde manner they were hilarious. this is one classic that travels well. the theme of wanting that 15 minutes of fame is still relevant today, if not more so.
½ January 20, 2012
I saw this movie on TCM and Ben Mankiewicz's intro summed it all up...."The story is as current as today's reality shows. The idea of being famous not because you're talented or accomplished, but just because you're famous."
January 17, 2012
Big Jack Lemmon fan! :)
January 15, 2012
Lemmon's first film role. Really funny stuff in this movie.
January 17, 2011
Yes, I am guilty. I watched this yesterday and it was a train wreck. I kept thinking it would get better but at the end of the picture my husband who so kindly endured it with me voiced, "that is an hour and a half of my life I will never get back." Not too far from the truth... it was pretty cheesy and exhausting the idea of the poor dumb blonde. She acts like a 10 year old innocent girl through out the movie as she is "wooed" into being used as property. Lesson well learned for young girls who misconstrue the celeb life for a woman to be a glamorous fairy tale. If I had a chance to see the movie again... I would pass and suggest you do too unless you like the dumb blonde air head movies.
October 25, 2007
*** (out of four)

A rather typical set up is given a fresh look mainly due to a fun and endearing performance from Judy Holliday. She is so warm and loveable that she helps you forget the somewhat routine script.

Holliday plays a young woman who moves to New York to make it in the world. She rents out a billboard and becomes a sensation in the Big Apple.

Peter Lawford and Jack Lemmon add fine support, but it is Holliday's movie all the way.
½ September 5, 2010
Brilliantly directed by Cukor, and brilliantly acted by the great cast. This movie is hilarious, and a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.
September 16, 2010
Not bad for a dumb blonde brand romantic comedy. Visually, it's a great slice of mid-century NYC -- the clothes, cars, billboards, TV shows and ads are to die for. Also, Jack Lemmon circa 1954 = swoon.
½ January 24, 2010
A "sort of" classic plot... one of my favorite films. I love practically every scene, especially the last one.

3 1/2 out of 4
January 20, 2010
Judy Holliday is a one of a kind actress, and it's a shame she didn't make more films. There is no one else quite like her. She is always such a delight and so genuine. This movie is a fine addition to her resume, fun, with a unique story and it's very well handled. It works, thanks to Judy and a great first role for Jack Lemmon. Excellent George Cukor direction.
February 20, 2009
A cute little movie reminscent of why people want to be on tv.
jjnxn
October 21, 2008
Lovely comedy with some sharp observations. Judy is radiant and Jack's debut performance is a gem.
½ October 6, 2008
A little slow moving, but cute movie with a good end.
August 11, 2007
when i saw jack lemmon was in this i thought he's gonna be the reason to watch it but as doesn't often happen i was wrong. judy holliday totally stole the show as gladys glover. she's up there with katherine hepburn and helena bonham carter in my opinion even though i've only seen her in this. the facial expressions the great prescene. she made this film work. don't get me wrong... jack was his usual great self but just didn't end up being the centerpiece here. very enjoyable feel good romance with some great acting
June 14, 2007
A charming little film about a New York documentary filmmaker and a would-be model who invests all of her money in a billboard.
August 2, 2005