It's Kind of a Funny Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's Kind of a Funny Story Reviews

½ October 6, 2010
When I first saw the traielr for this, I feared it was going to be some big rip off of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and, while there are traces of that, the film thankfully is not that, and is its own little thing. That, and since Fleck and Boden were behind it, I got the feeling that this seemed like the sort of film they'd make anyway.

While the film is a little underwhelming and feels a bit too precious or indie, or trite and a little too neat and tidy (which is actually addressed in the film), I liked it. I wanted more, but this didn't leave me unsatisfied, either. The writing was a little weak, and Craig didn't really seem like he needed to be at the hospital, but I found myself able to relate to him and some of the other characters...maybe more than I'm comfortable with, actually.

Where this film really shines is with the acting. As others have said, Galifianakis knocks it out of the park, showing that he really does have some legit and serious acting chops. He gives a really nuanced performance that seems like we knew he had it in him, but just needed to see it to be sure. I look forward to seeing him do more stuff like this. The rest of the cast is good too. Lots of known names and faces, but not in a gimmicky stunt casting sort of way. Galifianakis owns this one, but Emma Roberts is also really quite good, and also achieves the right balance given the type of character she's playing. Keir Gilchrist is not bad as Craig, but I think could have been just slightly better.

While this film didn't grab me like I thought it would, it's decent enough, and should be pleasing in some way for just about anyone who sees it.
July 29, 2012
I don't wanna be a dick and say teenagers don't have real problems, or even that the teenager in THIS movie has no real problems, BUT the teenager in this movie certainly has issues articulating his problems, so I am left with the impression that this movie just wanted to create a young romance in an unconventional location but neglected to set up the proper groundwork for mental illness or distraction.
July 15, 2012
A week in a mental ward is one sobering reexamination and reappraisal for one depressed teen in this predictable New York dramedy. Zach plays Yoda.
½ April 20, 2012
It's a very gentle portrayal of mental instability and I really liked it for that. The mental ward was so peaceful and loving. I'm glad this fictional character got to stay in this kind of environment.
½ February 12, 2011
Bland is a good word to define this movie - not only does it feel sterile and tonally inept, but it also seems to be trying so hard to break free from those descriptors. However, the charming cast and incredible soundtrack really adds a lot to the movie, making it a movie worth watching if you're curious.
December 7, 2011
I liked this movie a lot. I definitely feel that it could have fallen victim to being portrayed as a comedy film when it is not a laugh out loud movie, so I'm glad that didn't happen.
November 19, 2011
Its the tale of a depressed sixteen year old who signs himself into a mental hospital. Should I say more? He goes through a big change in the movie and learns that his life is better he thought it was. The movie seems to aim high but is just in the "alright" zone.
½ August 24, 2011
'It's Kind of a Funny Story' greatly benefits with such a great cast and a steady hand over direction, that it shows a solid amount of poise with material that cannot be easy to adapt. The comedy is solid, the drama is better, and the performances are near perfect. This film always knows what it wants to be and never fails at it. Gilchrist is obviously talented, and his haunting eyes and deadpan delivery are perfect for the role. Galifianakis is also amazing as always, portraying the character that delivers the most laughs as well as the most obviously complex character, but Zach shows thrilling poise. Although the film is generally directed towards teens and make it easy to relate with the film, it could be widely accepted by a much larger audience as well. If you are part of that audience, 'It's Kind of a Funny Story' will be both entertaining and emotionally satisfying.
½ October 28, 2010
Keir Gilchrist sucks at acting pathetic, probably because hes already had girlfriends and is not a virgin. Im still waiting for Emma Roberts to have a night of heavy 4-Loko drinking and collapse from internal and external bleeding. i don't wish this to happen to her, im just patiently waiting for it. Zach Galiafaliglastagrasoceous needs a goddamned agent that cares about him.
½ September 7, 2010
Very entertaining, enjoyable film with a lot of heart and depth. There's good humor, great acting, interesting characters, etc. Just an all-around great film with a great message. A really nice movie that made me smile...alot.
July 17, 2011
I really liked this movie. The story line was original and it ran its course on the thin line of humour and utter sadness. If anything was wrong with it, I did not think it lasted long enough! Laugh out loud funny, deeply theoretical and still shed a few tears towards the end. Really good movie.
½ July 31, 2010
This kid comes closer to representing my high school experience and I guess that's what connected me with the character and helped me enjoy the movie so much. LOVED IT!
March 29, 2011
Even though the backstory of all the characters are so long ago roughed up, the cast delivered such a believable performance to sidestep away from many cliches with psych comedy. Amiable with laugh-out-loud moments but also with Zach Galifianakis' turn from a comic to a pragmatic but likeable character does not hurt. Actually, it is one of the highlights (the other one is the great soundtrack) of this feel-good film.
½ January 30, 2011
IT'S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY, adapted from Ned Vizzini's 2006 novel of the same name, is the new comedy-drama from acclaimed writer/directors Ryan Fleck & Anna Boden (HALF NELSON, SUGAR).

It's @5:00 A.M. on a Sunday in Brooklyn. Craig Gilner (played by Keir Gilchrist of "United States of Tara") is bicycling up to the entrance of a mental health clinic; this bright 16-year-old is stressed out from the demands of being a teenager. Before his parents (Lauren Graham [of PARENTHOOD] and Jim Gaffigan [of AWAY WE GO]) and younger sister are even awake, Craig checks himself into Argenon Hospital and is admitted by a psychiatrist. But the youth ward is temporarily closed - so he finds himself stuck in the adult ward.

One of the patients, Bobby (Zach Galifianakis of THE HANGOVER), soon becomes both Craig's mentor and prot√ (C)g√ (C). Craig is also quickly drawn to another 16-year-old displaced to the adult ward, the sensitive Noelle (Emma Roberts of the upcoming SCREAM 4), who just might make him forget his longtime unrequited crush Nia (Zo√√,¬ę Kravitz of the upcoming X-MEN: FIRST CLASS). With a minimum five days' stay imposed on him by the adult ward's staff psychiatrist Dr. Eden Minerva (Academy Award nominee Viola Davis), Craig is sustained by friendships on both the inside and the outside as he learns more about life, love, and the pressures of growing up.

I would love to point out that this movie is kind of not a funny story. What this actually is depicts is the crumbling mind of a suicidal 16-Year old boy.

"Hi, how can I help you?"
"I want to kill myself."

I highly recommend this.

Grade: A-
March 19, 2011
It's sweet, but nothing to remember for a lifetime. It has the potential to be something truly incredible, but instead chooses to remain a bubbly, lighthearted comedy, a bit of a misfire when dealing with a tale in a psychiatric ward.
½ August 3, 2010
Teenage angst, a theme in filmmaking that has been pursued at every angle. Add in a weirdly poignant performance by funnyman Zach Galifanakis, a ward of crazies, and the sex appeal of Zoe Kravitz and Emma Roberts, and you have the highly original and slightly biopic story of It's Kind of a Funny Story. Cutaways, a stellar soundtrack featuring Dylan and The Pixies, and dream sequences, make this another recent hipster, artistic, and societal piece, dealing with depression and recovery. Funny, loving, and laughably realistic, there is a sweetness to the plot, as Craig tries to bring life to the various residents of psych ward 3 North, full of interesting charatcers. With the immensely graven appearance of Galifanakis, this time as a believably angry and pent up individual stuck in a shitty situation, we find the addictice personality in all of us. Gilchrist, of United States of Tara, does a good job of being gawky most of the time, and sentimental the rest. Emma Roberts come out of her kiddie friendly shell to play a badass who really isn't one, instead just misguided with a great taste in music. Good pick me up.
½ March 10, 2011
This tries to do what movies like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "On the Edge" have done, but fails miserably. It tries to blend the hipster fad and neurotic teens with suicide and mental institutions. That just doesn't work and makes it all the more forgettable and timely. It's almost like the main role was intended for Michael Cera, but they just found someone who could be nervous and sweaty all the time. The only person that seemed to be genuine was Zach Galifianakis, who clearly had another idea of what the movie should be. The plot has been done to death and it just makes the movie almost unbearable. This is just sort of a lifeless movie overall, without any real genuine qualities.
March 7, 2011
three stars
February 24, 2011
Very well cast, and very well acted. Drags in spots, but overall a very enjoyable dramedy. At first I didn't really think Zach Galifianakis was right for his role, but by the end I couldn't picture anyone else playing his character. He's not he oddball he usually plays, and it works great! Movie has spots where the story drags a bit, but overall a pretty good flick and well worth a watch. Also, reminds how bad-ass the song "Under Pressure" by David Bowie really is.
½ February 19, 2011
At first I was not too sure that I would like this film. However I gave it a shot, and I actually quite enjoyed it. Mixing drama and Comedy, It's Kind Of A Funny Story is a good little film that has just the right amount of drama and comedy thrown in. The film doesn't overdue it's dramatic elements and it's complemented by it's comedy bits. Galfianakis is surprising in this film, as he tones down his usual comedy antics as seen in The Hangover to deliver something a bit more serious. Glifianakis pulls it off very well. The film is very well acted and sometimes slow, but after a while the film picks up and becomes quite interesting and good. I thought it be just a depressing comedy, but it really didn't feel like that at all. Sure at times, it was, but there were much funnier parts than sad ones. Some may be disappointed at the lack of outrageous comedy on the part of Galifianakis, due to the fact that he played Alan in The Hangover. He is able with this this film to show his versatility, and unlike actors such as Will Farrell and Adam Sandler, he manages to create something very funny, yet sad and the same on screen. He shows he multi talented and he doesn't have just one trick in his bag. Directors Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden craft a film that is comically touching about overcoming life obstacles and learning how to cope with angst of growing up. Something that we all felt. Funny, dramatic and different; It's Kind Of A Funny Story is a fine little film that many can relate to.