J. Edgar Reviews

½ March 30, 2015
Sorry Leo but you looked ridiculous in this film
½ February 21, 2015
Amazing to consider the breadth of what this man built while considering the man in full. Eastwood again demonstrates that he is the consumate story teller and has the juice to tell the story that way he sees it. I understand Rex Reed did not like it because it did not tell the Liberaci'd version of the story but who cares, really, Rex?
February 11, 2015
One of DiCaprio's best films, don't pay attention to the big time critics on this one.
December 31, 2014
I thought it was very good film, and Di Caprio played the role excellently.
½ December 9, 2014
It's a pity this movie was discarded, I thought it had the best: Clint Eastwood's sensitive directing and DiCaprio's brave acting.
November 16, 2014
A soulless prestige picture so dimly photographed it belies a deserved self-embarrassment. Black's screenplay is like a series of note cards filmed by actors who should have known better. I wouldn't even subject high school history students to this on a teacher sick day.
½ October 11, 2014
Never have I seen a film with such a sharp divide between the critics and the awards. A lot of critics didn't like this movie, yet it was named one of the best of 2011 by both the National Board of Review and American Film Institute. Leonardo DiCaprio and Armie Hammer were nominated for almost every major award except the Oscar.

Leonardo DiCaprio is engaging from beginning to end, and to see him age from his 20s to his 70s is fascinating. Armie Hammer and Naomi Watts are great as J. Edgar Hoover's associate/maybe lover Clyde Tolson and secretary Helen Gandy respectively, and Judi Dench provides a good performance in her small role as Hoover's mother. It's not Clint Eastwood's best work, but it's nowhere near as god-awful as you may have heard. History buffs will find it very fascinating. 9/10.
October 9, 2014
Someone let Clint Eastwood near a camera again. I know he buys a lot of the rights to these stories he wants to tell, but I don't know how someone takes a story and life full of potential and create this mess of a film. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the finest young actors we have, and while his performances can tend to run together, he had an opportunity to shine even more in a role like this similarly to how he did as Howard Hughes in "The Aviator." The difference between "The Aviator" and "J. Edgar" is sitting behind the camera in this one. Clint Eastwood, who has the biggest track record of empty, overrated directorial presentations, just blows it all to Hell in this one. The directing is weak, bringing out the blandest performances with its horrid storytelling. The movie shortchanges the viewer during what appear to be pivotal scenes, yet drags out the ones we knew were coming. Pretty standard stuff from "Bronco Billy." The actors and viewers deserved better. I hope the awful reviews send him a message. I'm glad I only spent $1.25, although I deserve some change.
September 20, 2014
this is very good movie
November 12, 2011
J. Edgar the 2 leads are fantastic but the other aspects just don't match the work. Nothing new is brought to the floor
½ August 31, 2014
The script is mess it is never sure what story of Hoover's life to stick with or indulge,in it doesn't construct the story of his life very well. The direction is staid and bland,
August 27, 2014
Strong performances aside, especially a magnetic DiCaprio, ŽJ. EdgarŽ is at times both brillantly incisive and human, and yet also really clumsily constructed at others. This is down to a strange back and forth structure that both show us Edgar at his weakest and most human moments, yet the cherry picking of cases and the spacing between them is questionable.
July 28, 2014
What I got to say about "J. Edgar" is that it's a interesting movie. The performances by the cast is perfect. "Leonardo DiCaprio gives a predictably powerhouse performance as "J. Edgar Hoover"." The directing by Clint Eastwood is excellent. "Clint Eastwood hit a landmark in this movie." The screenplay by Dustin Lance Black is good. The score in this movie is dazzling. And the effects in are fine. "I got to say that "J. Edgar" is a outstanding movie of the year!"
½ July 17, 2014
70%
Makeup could have been worse, but the drama is solid, Eastwood's signature lighting and visuals are exquisite as always for these biopics, and though it is sporadic in timeline continuity with sudden flashbacks and flash forwards, it still benefits (but to a fault) with a strong central performance from DiCaprio.
½ July 24, 2014
7/10
good perfomance by diCaprio
July 17, 2014
An intriguing movie but it is suffocated by Dustin Lance Black's overstuffed script.
July 12, 2014
The story about J. Edgar Hoover who was one of the most prominent faces of law enforcement for 50 years in the United States. This movie is directed by the great man himself (Clint Eastwood) and I thought this movie was going to be brilliant and I also thought this was going to be Leonardo DiCaprio best role yet, And I only got one thing right and that is Leonardo DiCaprio acting in this film but the rest is a bit of a let down. The make-up looks really fake and laughable in this movie and they are these flashbacks in the movie that comes out of nowhere and I at time didn't know it's a flashback. This could have been a great movie but the movie lacks on enjoyment and joy to it, and it just left me bored.
½ July 9, 2014
How am I just now seeing this?? DiCaprio really deserved more recognition for his work here.
July 7, 2014
While The Material Was Interesting, The Execution Was Not. It Felt Like A Three Hour Slugfest To Stay Awake.
June 26, 2014