70% The Equalizer Sep 26

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Jack and Diane Reviews

February 14, 2014
Diane(Juno Temple) loses her cell phone and therefore has no idea her sister is not coming to visit her from Washington, DC until it is too late. By that point, she is feeling nauseous and having nose bleeds. Seeking shelter in a night club, she runs into Jack(Riley Keough) who takes her home with her. When Diane finally gets home the following morning, her aunt Linda(Cara Seymour) is so sick with worry that she is prepared to ground her until she is old enough to collect social security.

Desperately wanting to put its own fresh spin on the teenage lesbian coming of age movie, "Jack and Diane" goes the extra mile unnecessarily in throwing random plot elements at the wall to see what sticks which is pretty much nothing, except in the department of bodily functions. The more the movie tries to be dark and edgy, the more it becomes harder to tell exactly what is going on. Characters coming and going as they please does not help in the least. In any case, we've known for a while that Juno Temple is game for anything while Kylie Minogue just seems intent on putting together the most eccentric filmography ever.
Shawn M

May 19, 2013
Think my obsession with Juno Temple was the main reason I was interested in this movie, and watched until the end. While the lesbian/horror love story was entertaining, I can't help but still call it an average movie, saved by my love for Juno haha.
Dann M

February 27, 2013
There just aren't enough lesbian werewolf films, and Jack & Diane fills that niche. The story is paper-thin and involves a friendship between two teenagers that are werewolves? The werewolf aspect is so poorly integrated that it's hard to tell whether they are wolves, whether one turned the other into a wolf, or if it's just a visual manifestation. But beyond that, the acting is poor and there's no point to anything in the film. Jack & Diane is a monotonous piece of rubbish that has nothing to say.
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

December 10, 2012
The titular characters, essayed by Keough and Temple, are two star-crossed lesbian teens who fall in love after a chance encounter in one of New York's hipper districts. "Hip" is the keyword for this film. Characters carry skateboards, hang out in tattoo parlors and generally look disillusioned, but in, like, a "hip" way.
Just for the hell of it we get a few dream sequences involving some sort of werewolf creature. I'm guessing this is meant to represent the girls' burgeoning sexuality ala 'Company of Wolves' but don't quote me on that. Despite this injection of weirdness, it's the straightest gay drama you'll see this year. Our heroes even have their own song, The Flying Pickets' 'Only You', used to far greater effect in Wong Kar Wai's 'Fallen Angels'.
If the characters weren't so damn irksome it wouldn't be a bad little romantic drama. Temple gives a great performance and is one to watch in the coming years. Unfortunately, director Gray seems intent on alienating as large an audience as possible.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

November 1, 2012
Unforgivably empty teen lesbian romance that keeps hinting at a percolating tension beneath the surface getting ready to erupt with ominous music cues, a monster, and very bizarre visual themes, but those turn out to be nothing more than a maddeningly unsatisfying tease. The bulk of the movie consists of nothing more than overlong takes, dull conversations, and pointless incidents at every turn. I want to wring the neck of a director who bilks talent like Juno Temple and a name like Kylie Minogue into appearing in their self-indulgent crap for absolutely zero cinematic return. What a shameful abuse of both their willingness and our time. Riley Keough got to kiss them both, so maybe for her alone the experience wasn't a total loss.

I could gaze at the strikingly unique face, untamed hair, and innocent expressions of Juno Temple for hours, so that's the sole reason this waste gets one star instead of rock bottom. Unless you're a completely incurable Juno junkie, please please PLEASE do yourself a favor and spend those spare 100 minutes by doing anything else. Seriously, this movie was such a letdown by failing to deliver ANY sort of entertainment or provoke ANY kind of emotional response that I had to watch another movie immediately after it was over to jump-start my inert central nervous system. THAT'S how big a failure it is.
March 4, 2013
Juno Temple and Riley Keough are both likeable actresses... too bad everything else about this movie sucks. There's no plot, and really not much background on the characters. I spent most of the film wondering when and if anything was ever going to happen. I look forward to seeing more from the two leads, but this movie is not worth sitting through.
Hamee
January 14, 2008
This was a disturbing, but intriguing love story. It was definitely worth a watch - I just wish I understood the monster/creature/thing that kept showing up randomly.
February 13, 2013
Could have been much better.. but, I liked it for its simplicity. The lack of self loathing was a nice touch too..
January 19, 2013
Another HD Net Movie Channel grab off the TiVo, and what a waste of my fucking time. I love Juno Temple to death, but this was just a bunch of crap, with a hinted at werewolf (?) storyline told around the budding romance between two young lesbians.

I just couldn't get into this one, and I enjoy a 'style over substance' tale a lot more than the average guy, so me not liking this is very telling,

Pass.
November 26, 2012
This is a little odDITTY about Jack and Diane ... Jack and Diane could have been a simple, all-consuming teen love story about the titular Jack and Diane; but it continously teases the audience that it is going to become something it is not which makes the film fall flat and fail. Girly-girl Diane (Juno Temple - Atonement, The Dark Knight Rises) meets tom-boyish, skateboarder Jack (Riley Keough (The Runaways, Magic Mike) and the pair begins to develop a seemingly realistic relationship based on friendship, fascination and respect -- and this would all work if there weren't so many intercut scenes of bizarre visuals featuring bodily innards becoming ensnared with human hair (uhm, really). I am sure this is supposed to symbolize Diane's inner turmoil and confusion coming to terms with something she'd never expected; but it is too heavy, grotesque and confusing. The "she's like a werewolf" message is poorly conveyed and distracts from the simple story I would rather have watched as both Temple and Keough are like-able enough actresses. The howls coming from this film aren't intentional and that is never good.
April 20, 2012
I've been following this film for over five years. I couldn't have been more excited. Now that I've seen it, I wish I hadn't. So many amazing pieces come together to create.... nothing. Bradley Rust Gray seems incapable of creating any sort of energy. It's like listening to someone tell a story while they're falling asleep.
August 19, 2014
This felt like it could have been a good film. It felt liken there was an idea or vision that may have lead to something worthwhile. I like the actors. I like them together; they had real chemistry. I like the look and feel of this film. But they are in the service of an absolutely in-cohesive, inconsequential, contrived, and very poorly-dialouged screenplay. This is one of those films that tells us the two characters fell in love based on absolutely nothing. From what I saw Jack and Diane barely said three things to each other before they started declaring their love. I detest that trope in movies. Without barely any justification for their relationship, there is barely anything for the audience to get invested in. And then the film doesn't fix this problem. It gives us scene upon scene of nothing important happening, all the while failing to show us who these characters are and who they are to each other. Thats the film. No scene in this film had any relevance at all, they could've been shown in random order and the film would have been just as cohesive. And the dialogue is awful, cringe-worthy in some places. Finally there are the "werewolf" scenes. This film is marketed as a "werewolf" film, but the scenes could be completely removed from the film without having any consequence. They are meant to be symbolic, but I didn't know what they meant, and don't think the film knows what they meant. And it's a shame because the two leads give good performances, and they make the film very watchable in some parts. But they can't save this pretentious and plotless failure.
The Film Grinch
August 7, 2014
This felt like it could have been a good film. It felt liken there was an idea or vision that may have lead to something worthwhile. I like the actors. I like them together; they had real chemistry. I like the look and feel of this film. But they are in the service of an absolutely in-cohesive, inconsequential, contrived, and very poorly-dialouged screenplay. This is one of those films that tells us the two characters fell in love based on absolutely nothing. From what I saw Jack and Diane barely said three things to each other before they started declaring their love. I detest that trope in movies. Without barely any justification for their relationship, there is barely anything for the audience to get invested in. And then the film doesn't fix this problem. It gives us scene upon scene of nothing important happening, all the while failing to show us who these characters are and who they are to each other. Thats the film. No scene in this film had any relevance at all, they could've been shown in random order and the film would have been just as cohesive. And the dialogue is awful, cringe-worthy in some places. Finally there are the "werewolf" scenes. This film is marketed as a "lesbian werewolf" film, but the scenes could be completely removed from the film without having any consequence. They are meant to be symbolic, but I didn't know what they meant, and don't think the film knows what they meant. And it's a shame because the two leads give great performances, and they make the film very watchable in some parts. But they can't save this pretentious and plotless failure.

February 14, 2014

October 7, 2013
Yes, the plot wasn't so great and under developed, and the pace was too slow at times, but there was something about this film that wouldn't let it leave my mind afterward. Despite the shortcomings, Gray does a beautiful job at capturing the nostalgic dreamlike state of first love. Jack and Diane takes the cake in originality, and is definitely worth experiencing; if anything just for fun.
July 10, 2013
What an uneven film. It tries to be mumblecore hipster, it tries to be teen romance, it tries to be horror, it tries to be profound. It succeeds at none of these. The elaborate werewolf metaphor is ugly to look at, confusing, and serves no purpose. I believe that, for the film to succeed, it would have to be recut as a love story, removing all of the animated werewolf sequences. Despite the film's failings, I was extremely impressed by Riley Keough performance as Jack. She was a natural on screen.
June 26, 2013
Not only does the film inexplicably and awkward make use of horror elements, but its uneven script also makes the story feel both uncomfortable with and unrepresentative of modern times. It's a shame because at heart Jack and Diane is actually quite a sweet and tender story about first true love and the heartbreak of separation.
June 3, 2013
well, I still confuse. so, what about the monster's things? -.- btw Riley Keough is really handsome here :p
Shawn M

May 19, 2013
April 25, 2013
"Juno Temple and Riley Keough (who was great in The Runaways) give good performances as the title role. While, they were moments I got hooked in, the movie just doesn't go anywhere, it's pointless, slow and mostly not interesting."