67% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Jack and Diane Reviews

February 14, 2014
Diane(Juno Temple) loses her cell phone and therefore has no idea her sister is not coming to visit her from Washington, DC until it is too late. By that point, she is feeling nauseous and having nose bleeds. Seeking shelter in a night club, she runs into Jack(Riley Keough) who takes her home with her. When Diane finally gets home the following morning, her aunt Linda(Cara Seymour) is so sick with worry that she is prepared to ground her until she is old enough to collect social security.

Desperately wanting to put its own fresh spin on the teenage lesbian coming of age movie, "Jack and Diane" goes the extra mile unnecessarily in throwing random plot elements at the wall to see what sticks which is pretty much nothing, except in the department of bodily functions. The more the movie tries to be dark and edgy, the more it becomes harder to tell exactly what is going on. Characters coming and going as they please does not help in the least. In any case, we've known for a while that Juno Temple is game for anything while Kylie Minogue just seems intent on putting together the most eccentric filmography ever.
Shawn M

May 19, 2013
Think my obsession with Juno Temple was the main reason I was interested in this movie, and watched until the end. While the lesbian/horror love story was entertaining, I can't help but still call it an average movie, saved by my love for Juno haha.
Dann M

February 27, 2013
There just aren't enough lesbian werewolf films, and Jack & Diane fills that niche. The story is paper-thin and involves a friendship between two teenagers that are werewolves? The werewolf aspect is so poorly integrated that it's hard to tell whether they are wolves, whether one turned the other into a wolf, or if it's just a visual manifestation. But beyond that, the acting is poor and there's no point to anything in the film. Jack & Diane is a monotonous piece of rubbish that has nothing to say.
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

December 10, 2012
The titular characters, essayed by Keough and Temple, are two star-crossed lesbian teens who fall in love after a chance encounter in one of New York's hipper districts. "Hip" is the keyword for this film. Characters carry skateboards, hang out in tattoo parlors and generally look disillusioned, but in, like, a "hip" way.
Just for the hell of it we get a few dream sequences involving some sort of werewolf creature. I'm guessing this is meant to represent the girls' burgeoning sexuality ala 'Company of Wolves' but don't quote me on that. Despite this injection of weirdness, it's the straightest gay drama you'll see this year. Our heroes even have their own song, The Flying Pickets' 'Only You', used to far greater effect in Wong Kar Wai's 'Fallen Angels'.
If the characters weren't so damn irksome it wouldn't be a bad little romantic drama. Temple gives a great performance and is one to watch in the coming years. Unfortunately, director Gray seems intent on alienating as large an audience as possible.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

November 1, 2012
Unforgivably empty teen lesbian romance that keeps hinting at a percolating tension beneath the surface getting ready to erupt with ominous music cues, a monster, and very bizarre visual themes, but those turn out to be nothing more than a maddeningly unsatisfying tease. The bulk of the movie consists of nothing more than overlong takes, dull conversations, and pointless incidents at every turn. I want to wring the neck of a director who bilks talent like Juno Temple and a name like Kylie Minogue into appearing in their self-indulgent crap for absolutely zero cinematic return. What a shameful abuse of both their willingness and our time. Riley Keough got to kiss them both, so maybe for her alone the experience wasn't a total loss.

I could gaze at the strikingly unique face, untamed hair, and innocent expressions of Juno Temple for hours, so that's the sole reason this waste gets one star instead of rock bottom. Unless you're a completely incurable Juno junkie, please please PLEASE do yourself a favor and spend those spare 100 minutes by doing anything else. Seriously, this movie was such a letdown by failing to deliver ANY sort of entertainment or provoke ANY kind of emotional response that I had to watch another movie immediately after it was over to jump-start my inert central nervous system. THAT'S how big a failure it is.
March 4, 2013
Juno Temple and Riley Keough are both likeable actresses... too bad everything else about this movie sucks. There's no plot, and really not much background on the characters. I spent most of the film wondering when and if anything was ever going to happen. I look forward to seeing more from the two leads, but this movie is not worth sitting through.
Hamee
January 14, 2008
This was a disturbing, but intriguing love story. It was definitely worth a watch - I just wish I understood the monster/creature/thing that kept showing up randomly.
February 13, 2013
Could have been much better.. but, I liked it for its simplicity. The lack of self loathing was a nice touch too..
January 19, 2013
Another HD Net Movie Channel grab off the TiVo, and what a waste of my fucking time. I love Juno Temple to death, but this was just a bunch of crap, with a hinted at werewolf (?) storyline told around the budding romance between two young lesbians.

I just couldn't get into this one, and I enjoy a 'style over substance' tale a lot more than the average guy, so me not liking this is very telling,

Pass.
November 26, 2012
This is a little odDITTY about Jack and Diane ... Jack and Diane could have been a simple, all-consuming teen love story about the titular Jack and Diane; but it continously teases the audience that it is going to become something it is not which makes the film fall flat and fail. Girly-girl Diane (Juno Temple - Atonement, The Dark Knight Rises) meets tom-boyish, skateboarder Jack (Riley Keough (The Runaways, Magic Mike) and the pair begins to develop a seemingly realistic relationship based on friendship, fascination and respect -- and this would all work if there weren't so many intercut scenes of bizarre visuals featuring bodily innards becoming ensnared with human hair (uhm, really). I am sure this is supposed to symbolize Diane's inner turmoil and confusion coming to terms with something she'd never expected; but it is too heavy, grotesque and confusing. The "she's like a werewolf" message is poorly conveyed and distracts from the simple story I would rather have watched as both Temple and Keough are like-able enough actresses. The howls coming from this film aren't intentional and that is never good.
April 20, 2012
I've been following this film for over five years. I couldn't have been more excited. Now that I've seen it, I wish I hadn't. So many amazing pieces come together to create.... nothing. Bradley Rust Gray seems incapable of creating any sort of energy. It's like listening to someone tell a story while they're falling asleep.

February 14, 2014

October 7, 2013
Yes, the plot wasn't so great and under developed, and the pace was too slow at times, but there was something about this film that wouldn't let it leave my mind afterward. Despite the shortcomings, Gray does a beautiful job at capturing the nostalgic dreamlike state of first love. Jack and Diane takes the cake in originality, and is definitely worth experiencing; if anything just for fun.
July 10, 2013
What an uneven film. It tries to be mumblecore hipster, it tries to be teen romance, it tries to be horror, it tries to be profound. It succeeds at none of these. The elaborate werewolf metaphor is ugly to look at, confusing, and serves no purpose. I believe that, for the film to succeed, it would have to be recut as a love story, removing all of the animated werewolf sequences. Despite the film's failings, I was extremely impressed by Riley Keough performance as Jack. She was a natural on screen.
June 26, 2013
Not only does the film inexplicably and awkward make use of horror elements, but its uneven script also makes the story feel both uncomfortable with and unrepresentative of modern times. It's a shame because at heart Jack and Diane is actually quite a sweet and tender story about first true love and the heartbreak of separation.
June 3, 2013
well, I still confuse. so, what about the monster's things? -.- btw Riley Keough is really handsome here :p
Shawn M

May 19, 2013
April 25, 2013
"Juno Temple and Riley Keough (who was great in The Runaways) give good performances as the title role. While, they were moments I got hooked in, the movie just doesn't go anywhere, it's pointless, slow and mostly not interesting."
Jerry R.
April 16, 2013
To be clear, Jack and Diane has nothing whatsoever to do with John Cougar Mellencamp's 1982 song of the same name. That song was a brilliant piece of Americana about two kids, a boy and a girl, growing up in Middle America. This movie is a disorganized piece of indie "realism" about two girls in New York who approach falling in love with one another. The problem is that the screenplay doesn't have enough confidence in its characters to develop them in a way that makes us care.

The major focus of the film is Diane (newcomer Juno Temple), a wide eyed Brit with a mop of blonde hair who chooses baby doll dresses to be her ever-present wardrobe. She's a cute girl who misbehaves, drinks to the point of vomiting and has frequent nosebleeds. The other girl is Jack (played by Riley Keough, the granddaughter of Elvis) a skate-boarding butch lesbian, a loner who finds something to like about the dysfunctional Diane.

The girls meet in a store one day and have a few shy, awkward exchanges before the moment is interrupted when Diane has another nosebleed. The relationship is mostly physical. We see them kissing, there are a few hints that they are thinking about sex, but the movie never really gets them there. What passes for romance is just a few scenes in which a mutual attraction. An attraction of personalities, however, never materializes because the movie doesn't really deal with emotions or teenage awkwardness.

There is something in these two girls that, in a better movie, might have made for a pure down-to-earth love story. The problem is that the screenplay won't have it. It keeps intercutting their budding relationship with a lot of episodic nonsense, like a silly scene in which Diane interrupts a date with Jack so that she can escape into the bathroom to shave her pubic area, or an early scene in which Jack is hit by a car which is never mentioned again.

There are lots of camera tricks and clever editing that take away from the underwritten characters, like the director's odd visual effect of a reoccurring microscopic image of something monstrous that is growing inside of Diane. It isn't clear what the manifestation is, maybe we're suppose to think that it is a physical rendering of her twisted feelings about Jack. We see internal organs with hair slithering tightly around them, but we are left to assume what that might be. We are led to believe that it is the manifestation of this new lifestyle but you're never really sure. The scenes are disgusting and fall on the story like a ton of bricks.

Those scenes seem to indicate that the filmmakers didn't know how to create characters with genuine emotions. The actresses playing the girls have screen presence but what they have to talk about is dull and uninteresting when it isn't being intruded upon by another dramatic element. The movie moves away from their relationship as an effort to keep from having to really deal with them. This is a very confused movie that leaves you scratching you're head when it's over.
Dann M