20% The Identical Sep 05

—— Sullivan & Son: Season 3

Jack and Jill Reviews

Spencer S

October 18, 2011
What is something I can say that has absolutely no negative connotation connected to it? This...exists. A painful, idiotic ploy to get more money with zero effort, Sandler has certainly gone off the deep end with this egomaniac venture. (I prefer not to call this a film, as that would be recognizing it as a form of artistic expression, which would be misleading.) We all understand that this had little to no comedy involved, but worse than that the plot is nonexistent. There are no stakes, no climax or even a plausible ending. Really it's a man and himself, dressed in drag, fighting with one another. The jokes are really juvenile with no buildup or even start, because it's oh it's funny because she's old. Oh, it's funny because she's fat. (RedLetterMedia) Then, for no reason whatsoever, you have a long cameo from Al Pacino, a man who hasn't put in a bad performance, possibly in his entire life. What's good is that Pacino actually gives the best reason to see this, and that is him being a overexaggerated and eccentric version of himself. There's also a minor and not too original Mexican character named Felipe, played by Eugenio Derbez, who has the same quirky likeability as many of Sandler's original films. Still, there is no heart, no humor, or even effort put into this and I would love to hear him take some responsibility for his films again. I thought Grown Ups at least knew what it was and had a lot of talented people involved to make up for some of its flaws. This movie didn't surprise me because he had building up to it with atrocious choices. Funny People and Spanglish were his last best films, and it hasn't been since the early two thousands that he has made a goofy comedy that worked. Just awful, but at least I watched it at no cost to myself.
boxman
boxman

June 26, 2012
I was anticipating bad, I was anticipating outlandishly bad, but nothing can prepare you for how stunning and jaw-droppingly awful Adam Sandler's reported comedy Jack and Jill truly is. The movie swept the Razzie Awards in all categories this year, a historic feat. Sandler plays a rich ad exec and his braying, boorish twin sister, who Al Pacino, in a strangely committed performance as himself, falls in love with for no discernable reason. I've seen my fair share of craptacular cinema, and yet this movie is bad on a rarely seen level of human tragedy; it feels like the movie came from a different dimension, where they had no concepts of human relations, reactions, expectations, or senses of humor. It feels like you're watching a cultural artifact of a civilization in decline. I haven't been a fan of Sandler's brand of naughty-yet-safe humor for a while, but this movie is weirdly cruel to all sorts of people, like Mexicans, atheists, adopted kids, Jews, and human beings with working senses of humor. The quality of comedy includes gems like, "Play twister with your sister," and, "These chimichangas are making a run for the border." The rampant and nakedly transparent product placement for Carnival Cruise and Dunkin' Donuts is obscene. This is a charmless, witless film, and when it tries to wring actual emotion out of its daft scenario, the whole enterprise just implodes. Jack and Jill is so odious, torturous, reprehensibly bad that it feels like one of the joke movies that Sandler made in 2009's Funny People. You feel like the entire movie is one long joke put on by a contemptuous Sandler. I think my good pal Eric Muller had it right; we're on the tail end of Sandler's deal with the devil. Jack and Jill is why the terrorists hate us.

Nate's Grade: F
Nicki M

March 2, 2012
I don't think it would be a shock to anyone that this is a really bad movie. It looks awful, I only watched it to see just what level of awful.
Pretty much it is Adam Sandler in drag playing his own twin sister. He is a horrible woman. He is unattractive enough as a man, so slap a dress on him and you get the idea! Totally unconvincing with a shrill "girl" voice (also unconvincing). Seriously, it is like he didn't even try to pass as a woman.
Having said that, it is watchable, in a crap movie kind of way. Certainly was an improvement on "Grown Ups" (but that's really not saying a whole lot). I don't know why I even keep watching his movies. I guess I keep hoping for another The Wedding Singer or Punch Drunk Love. (I can keep looking, obviously wasn't too likely to find it here!).
Katie Holmes plays his wife. She looks like his daughter.
Anatoliy D

May 10, 2012
Worst movie ever!!!!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

August 11, 2011
New low for Adam Sandler. He's had his weak moments before, with movies like Grown Ups and Little Nicky, but this...this is something else. Imagine if Jar Jar Binks and Fran Drescher had a daughter together, then put Sandler's dimwitted face on her, and voilá - you have the character of Jill. As for Jack, he's kind of like Sandler on a bad day at work; a little grouchy and low on his blood sugar, with no real charisma. That's not the worst part though. Besides containing some of the lamest, laziest and most degenerate jokes ever written, it also somehow managed to drag Al Pacino and Johnny Depp into the mess. They got to be really close friends with Sandler, to willingly lend their talents to something as abysmal as this. A razzie-magnet of epically bad proportions, which despite a chuckle here and there, have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I mean, I expected it to be bad, but this was just downright embarassing. Passing a kidney stone is more fun than this travesty of a movie. A complete and utter suck-fest, that makes his other comedies look like world-class entertainment. If you've never experienced a migraine before, you will after this. Because this is one of the worst, most excruciating and pointless films I've ever seen. An insult to the art of comedy, that makes me ashamed to have ever called myself a fan of Sandler's brand of humor. On a positive note though, here are some current results from the box-office:

Production budget: $79 Million

Total gross as of Feb. 12, 2012: $73,837,886

The cold hard fact that they're losing money on this pile of s**t: Priceless!
Luke B

March 6, 2012
Jack and Jill is a hideous movie that aims for the lowest common denominator. This isn't comedy, it's desperation and laziness. Like many a comedian before him, Sandler has decided to take on duel roles as brother and sister. When will these people realise they are not Peter Sellers or Alec Guinness. It takes great skill to seamlessly integrate yourself as more than one character. Here all I saw was Sandler in drag. Jack and Jill is about Jack, a director of commercials trying to land Al Pacino in a Dunken Donuts commercial. His sister arrives for Thanksgiving and she is the most horrible human being you can imagine. This was my biggest problem with the movie. There is nothing to connect us with this foul waste of space. Like Mater in Cars 2, this character is infuriating, She has no people skills. SHe is offensive, ignorant, loud, and just revolting. Sandler must feel destroyed by his family in some way, because with this and Click, he shows himself as a decent hard working man, constantly shat on my his family. Holmes is the worst wife in the world, not to mention a bland character. She repeatedly enables Jill to continue acting the way she does. The film tries to squeeze out some emotion, but fails, because we hate this bitch. If she was bullied when she was young, then perhaps the film makers should have shown this. Pacino has a lot of fun as himself, but the only way I wasn't embarrassed was by imagining his pay cheque. On top of all this the jokes aren't funny and the editing is abysmal. One scene sets up a joke, as Jill must find her way home without a car, and then it skips the punchline and gives us one to a scene they never showed us. It's confusing. As is the moment when the movie tried to get laughs from showing the face of Felipe's grandmother. I didn't know why they kept showing her, but once I looked on IMDB, I saw the same actor played both Felipe and the grandmother. This joke doesn't work if you don't know that. The film avoids the lowest rating barely, by having some fun jokes. Such as Johnny Depp in a Justin Bieber T-Shirt, or Spade mocking Rob Schneider. Predictable, crude, heartless, and annoying. This is a film that must be hated.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

March 6, 2012
2 stars
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 20, 2011
His twin sister is coming for the holidays... ...and it ain't pretty.

Not that great. This is probably one of the worst Adam Sandler movies of his career. Yes it's funny a few times but you can count them with your hand. The plot is just dumb and stupid and really doesn't bring anything new to the movie industry that you haven't seen before. Watch it if you want but you've warned!

Jack Sadelstein (Adam Sandler) is a successful advertising executive in Los Angeles with a beautiful wife (Katie Holmes) and kids, who dreads one event each year: the Thanksgiving visit of his identical twin sister Jill (also Adam Sandler). Jill's neediness and passive-aggressiveness is maddening to Jack, turning his normally tranquil life upside down.
Phil H

February 9, 2012
Wow Mr Sandler! what on earth is going on here!? I realise you are not exactly flavour of the month anymore but was this REALLY needed??

Talk about shovelling the shit Jesus! there was a time when Sandler was quite amusing and his films about standing up for the average Joe's whilst playing the typical everyman were fun, but that was along time ago. His childish toilet humour now seems completely redundant and boring and this film really is a prime example of how basic and pathetic his films now appear. Sandler plays himself (as usual) and his twin sister who also (surprisingly) turns out to be kinda like every other character Sandler has played, that's all you need to know.

There is completely nothing here I can be positive about, its utter tripe from start to finish much like Martin Lawrence's 'Big Momma' 'comedy' films. What I can't believe is why Johnny Depp and Al Pacino would wanna star in a film like this for, its not like they need the work.
KJ P

November 14, 2011
After about 10 minutes into this film, I felt like I was sitting in an electric chair, knowing that I still have to wait another 80 minutes before I can get up. It is the type of movie that will have you yelling at Adam Sandler as his career slowly goes dow the toilet. Not only does this film have one of the most pointless plot lines in film history, but the fact that Adam Sandler has to result to playing a woman in order to make hollywood laugh, just shows that he truly has no passion for true comedy anymore. I hated every solitary frame of "Jack and Jill," it felt like I was watching montage of random bad clips from other sandler movies, but the entire film was like that. He has an indian kid (not explained), they celebrate thanksgiving, christmas, and new years all in the same weekend, they jumprope on a cruise to push one laugh on, al pacino should be ashamed of himself, and the list goes on and on. If is wasn't for countless other shitty films, "Jack and Jill" would be at the top. I don't have words to make a final comment about how bad this movie truly is!
Everett J

December 18, 2011
Adam Sandler's movies have gone from comedy classics, to this. "Jack and Jill" ranks with "Little Nicky" as Sandler's worst movies, by far. Other than a few funny(one very funny) parts, this is a complete mess of a movie. Sandler plays Jack and Jill, identical twins. Jill comes to L.A. to visit Jack, and hijinks occur. That's the synopsis, and the novelty of Sandler in drag wears off after about two minutes. The real surprise with this movie is that Al Pacino has a significant role. Sandler must have something on Pacino for him to do this movie. I love most of Sandler's movies, and I'll continue to watch them. But, this is just about unbearable. Hopefully, he'll redeem himself and get back to what made him so special to begin with.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

November 13, 2011
Jack and Jill was exactly what I was expecting, a incredibly dull, stupid, and pointless comedy that just proves that Adam Sandler is on a steep road that it will be hard to get back up. The story is about Jack and Jill (Adam Sandler), two twin siblings who have grown apart over the years and have come together for Thanksgiving, but doe to Jill being a very embarassing sibling, Jack will make it his duty to do anything to get rid of his sister, and he plans to do this by finding her a man. The plot is just an embarassing mess and I truly believe that that's what they were going for, and if they were not, holy crap what the hell were they thinking, the characters are annoying beyond all belief, having Al Pacino in the film was just a way to buy more screen time, and what I think i hated worst of all was that there was absoloutely and no denying that this movie was the worst storyline of any Adam Sandler film I have ever seen I think, I think even more pointless than last years Sandler comedy Just Go With It. The cast was just awful, plain and simple. Adam Sandler has not done a good comedy in years and he keeps the record going playing his regular smart ass character as Jack, and the completely stupid and god awful character as Jill. Katie Holmes didn't even have much of a role, she probably has a little over 10 minutes of screen time and it was completely pointless, i mean she wasn't even given any chance to be funny, in fact I think they insulted her because she switched to Judaism because of Jack in the movie, and in real life she switched to scientology because of Tom Cruise, and I think i am the only person in the world who caught that joke because the movie doesn't even try to explain it to us, but either way you will not be laughing with Katie Holmes. Al Pacino has play Tony Montana in one of the most controversial crime films ever, he played a crime boss in the greatest gangster films of all time in The Godfather, he played a Oscar winning dramatic role as a depressed older veteran blind man with a good heart in Scent of a Woman, but now considered one of the greatest actors of all time has now resorted to a incredibly awful comedy film that will be remembered as one of the final films he ever did, and that depresses me to no end because not only was he bad in this movie, he has a part where he sings and I felt embarassed to be watching him. The comedy was too awful to describe, I will admit I accidentally laughed because of some physical humour, but other than that it was one of the most unfunny films of the past few years and if you are planning on watching this movie than I recommend you grab a pillow, because your are gonna get about 90 minutes of sleep. Jack and Jill is exactly what I predicted it to be, and if you thought that Adam Sanlder was going to making a comeback with this, prepare to leave the theater feeling like pretty dumb.
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

November 28, 2011
"This must never be seen... by anyone."

I didn't say it folks. Al Pacino did. Okay, maybe he didn't say it about Jack and Jill, but he may as well have. This movie is loud and obnoxious the whole way through. At the beginning of the movie and during the end credits a few set of twins get maybe 20 seconds to talk about what having a twin is like. Those are the only bearable moments. Right after that we get our first fart joke in the opening titlles with a vintage home movie compilation of Jack and Jill growing up.

Despite my rating I did laugh a few times. Mostly during Al Pacino's scenes.
Tyler K

November 6, 2011
One of the worst comedies I've ever seen. Also, one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. It has moments, but not much else.
MrNeoshredder
MrNeoshredder

November 15, 2011
Oh, my, GOD! This was horrible. I thought Little Nikki was the worst movie Adam Sandler ever did, but this one...this one might take the cake.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2011
I loved this movie. I thought the entire cast was hilarious and would def watch it again.
Shawn M

October 27, 2011
The thought of this movie and just the trailer to it, made me want to go... really?... really?... but hey, It's Adam Sandler, may as well. With the piles and piles of movies Happy Madison productions are throwing out like toilet paper, makes me wonder, why are they running with any/all ideas? but hey, so far, its decent enough, I can see its starting to go down hill but this film was still bearable, all the cameo appearances was surprisingly cool and Sandler never fails to bring me a giggle or two, and lately he's been concentrating more on drama than anything and to be honest, my favorite so far is CLICK. keep at it Mr. Madison! Even if you fail here and there, you are still really entertaining.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Jack and Jill was exactly what I was expecting, a incredibly dull, stupid, and pointless comedy that just proves that Adam Sandler is on a steep road that it wil be hard to get back up. The story is about Jack and Jill (Adam Sandler), two twin siblings who have grown apart over the years and have come together for Thanksgiving, but doe to Jill being a very embarassing sibling, Jack will make it his duty to do anything to get rid of his sister, and he plans to do this by finding her a man. The plot is just an embarassing mess and I truly believe that thats what they were going for, and if they were not, holy crap what the hell were they thinking, the characters are annoying beyond all belief, having Al Pacino in the film was just a way to buy more screen time, and what I think I hated worst of all was that there was absoloutely and no denying that this movie was the worst storyline of any Adam sandler film I have ever seen, I think even more pointless than last years Sandler comedy Just Go With It. The cast was just awful, plain and simple. Adam Sandler has not done a good comedy since Funny People, but his record of bad films continues playing his regular smartass character as Jack, and the completely stupid and god awful character as Jill. Katie Holmes didn't even have much of a role, she probably has a little over 10 minutes of screen time and it was completely pointless, I mean she wasn't even given any chance to be funny, in fact I think they insulted her because she switched to Judaism because of Jack in the movie, and in real life she switched to scientology because of Tom Cruise, and I think I am the only person in the world who caught that joke because the movie doesn't even try to explain it to us, but either way you will not be laughing at or with Katie Holmes. Al Pacino has played Tony Montana in one of the most controversial films ever in Scarface, he played a crime boss in the greatest gangster films of all time in The Godfather, he played a Oscar winning dramatic role as a depressed older veteran blind man with a good heart in Scent of a Woman, but now considered one of the greatest actors of all time has now resorted to a incredibly awful comedy film that will be remembered as one of the final films he ever did, and that depresses me to no end because not only was he bad in this movie, he has a part where he sings and I felt embarassed to be watching him. The comedy was too awful to describe, and its safe to say this was one of the most unfunny films of the past few years and if you are planning on watching this movie than I recommend you grab a pillow, because your are gonna get about 90 minutes of sleep. Jack and Jill is exactly what I predicted it to be, and if you thought that Adam Sanlder was going to making a comeback with this, prepare to leave the theatre feeling like pretty dumb.
Sean N.
Sean N.

November 12, 2011
I was going to start off this review by talking about how much negative reception this film has gotten way before it was even released because there was a whole lot of it. There was an internet meme where famous characters from movies like 'Taxi Driver' and 'Patton' would 'watch' the trailer with incredibly negative results. But somehow I gave this film a try because I am a fan of Adam Sandler as I've mentioned in past reviews. Even when his movies are stupid, he is always funny... that's not really the case here. Believe me when I say that all of those critics were right. This was just a horrible movie and I did not laugh once during this entire film. It makes me wonder why this film was even made. There is no reason why it should've been done. It is just a mess of a movie.

The 'plot' (and I use that term very loosely) centers around Jack Sadelstein (Adam Sandler), a successful ad executive who is living a perfect life with his wife Erin (Katie Holmes) and their two kids. However, there is one time each year that Jack dreads. That is when his twin sister Jill (also played by Sandler) comes to visit. And that's about it. There really is no plot to this movie other than some minor points to keep things going. It's just scene after scene that in a way don't serve any purpose in the movie. It's like with Grown Ups last year, but here's the main difference between these two films... Grown Ups was actually funny. It still is my pick for the funniest film of 2010. This... isn't.

It is really hard for me to find anything good about this film. Really the only saving grace of this movie is Al Pacino, who plays a fictionalized version of himself who falls for Jill. That's about it. I'm serious when I say that this was effing awful. Usually when it comes to Sandler films, they're usually funny. I'm serious when I say that this was the first time I did not laugh once at all. It's at this point where Adam Sandler should seriously consider moving away from Happy Madison Productions. If he doesn't decide to do that, he needs to get better writers and a better director (ditch this Dennis Dugan guy). Don't see this movie... believe me, you'll thank me for it.
Eddie C

March 23, 2013
"Jack and Jill" pummels us with its insulting stupidity and leaves us in a vegetative state.