Which books are must-reads for the movie fan?

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it's title character Jack Reacher. Having been introduced to this character by the film, I would like to know which of Lee Child's 17 books in this series are favorites and must-reads.
Justin G.
12-23-2012 07:54 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Ben Stone

Ben Stone

Persuader has gotta be my favourite (and i've read em all) echo burning and nothing to lose are my least favourite, but hell start at the start with killing floor

Jan 3 - 10:20 PM

Mike Bass

Mike Bass

I was also introduced to Jack Reacher by the movie and wanted more. I read The Enemy and really enjoyed the book, which is sort of a prequel to his days as an MP. It's smart, ballsy and entertaining with a definte "other shoe dropping" moment.

Jan 1 - 07:33 PM

Suse Corliss

Suse Corliss

I agree, all of them are great! Lee Child is my favorite thriller author. Just dig in anywhere and keep going.

Dec 24 - 09:16 PM

Joshua Spiers

Joshua Spiers

Really any of them are good. The books are setup pretty much like the movie, in that they are mostly standalone stories. The Jack Reacher character does get developed through the books of course, but there's no need to read them in order unless you just want to.

Lee Child's writing generally matures as he writes, just like any other author. The first books aren't stellar, but they're definitely good enough to hook someone. In short, if you liked the character in the movie then you'll like any of the books.

There are a couple of books that jump back to Reacher's past (or deal with it in the present at least) and these could both be good starting points. One is "The Enemy". It deals with Reacher back when he was still an army MP. The second is "Bad Luck and Trouble." It's set in the present but the plot centers around Reacher's old army buddies. Both look into his past and help develop the character.

Another great one is "Gone Tomorrow".

The one book I didn't like was "The Hard Way". I just thought the plot was too far out, and it was the wrong time in the U.S. to be writing that type of book. People just weren't receptive. The most recent book, "A Wanted Man," also had mixed reviews from fans. I liked it well enough, but it definitely wasn't the best. The final 4 books all build upon each other to an extent, so if you're going to read any of them then start with "61 Hours".

As you can tell, I'm a Jack Reacher fan :). I find it cathartic in a way. The books are filled with really bad villains who get what they deserve. The evilness of the villains isn't watered down. Sometimes it's shocking. But when they get taken down it feels really good.

Hope you enjoy reading them as much as I have!

Dec 23 - 12:58 PM

Pete Bateman

Pete Bateman

If you really liked cruise in the film then I wouldn't bother. You'll be disapointed. The Reacher books are about a huge great big bloke who doesn't do car chases or wisecracks.

Dec 24 - 08:18 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile