Critics Consensus: Jack Reacher Features Tom Cruise in Control

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got a cool cop (Jack Reacher, starring Tom Cruise and Rosamund Pike); harried marrieds (This is 40, starring Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann); mother-son bonding (The Guilt Trip, starring Barbra Streisand and Seth Rogen); and a fanciful circus (the performance film Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Looking very forward to "Zero Dark Thirty", "Impossible" and "Not Fade Away". Not looking too forward to "Amour", but I'll probably have to see it eventually.

Dec 20 - 04:53 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I'm oddly intrigued to see Les Mis too. Not necessarily in either a good or bad way, I just want to see it. It's kinda weird.

Dec 20 - 07:10 PM

King Crunk

Based on early reviews, I am expecting Les Mis to be rotten by opening weekend. Seems some people are really enjoying, while others are hating it like few films this year.

Dec 20 - 09:24 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

I hope with Jack Reacher, Oblivion, and All You Need Is Kill, we are on the verge of a Tom Cruise action renaissance.

On a side note, Something Awful's film subforum has decided to use Rotten Tomatoes' Fresh rating as a guide for one of their awards category: The Armond White Award for Best Film Below 60% on RT. Battleship, V/H/S, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance are three of the nominees so far, though there are probably a few more being considered.

Dec 20 - 04:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Armond White sez that "Crystal Skulls" was the best Indiana Jones film. Worse, he said "Raiders" was the worst. Just saying. Something awful indeed.

Dec 20 - 05:55 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Dec 20 - 05:55 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I would like to see Monsters Inc 3D.

Dec 20 - 06:18 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Too bad we won't be able to see these movies or any of the movies coming out in the future. :(

Dec 20 - 06:19 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

- super sad face -
D:

Dec 20 - 06:45 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

It's already Dec 21st in Japan and we're still here. I think you'll be OK. If the Mayan apocalypse was gonna happen anywhere it'd be in the birthplace of Godzilla (Gojira), Rodan and Mothra.

Dec 20 - 07:12 PM

quietus28

jj l

Nah, it would be in the Mayan time zone, dontcha know?

Dec 21 - 12:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The Mayan clock ran out at 6:11 AM eastern this morning.

Hopefully, it'll be a much quieter place with all those Christians finally rapture'd.

Dec 21 - 02:41 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Didn't work. I am still here.

Dec 22 - 12:35 PM

Dec 20 - 09:24 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 20 - 07:12 PM

quietus28

jj l

Nah, it would be in the Mayan time zone, dontcha know?

Dec 21 - 12:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The Mayan clock ran out at 6:11 AM eastern this morning.

Dec 21 - 02:41 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Didn't work. I am still here.

Dec 22 - 12:35 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

can't wait to see zero dark thirty.

Dec 20 - 07:32 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

I want to see Jack Reacher despite the action cliches. Tom Cruise is born for this kind of role. Also looking forward to This is 40, The Impossible, Zero Dark Thirty, and possibly Amour. The Guilt Trip looks interesting but the reviews may keep me away. I'll pass on Cirques du Soleil and Monsters Inc 3D. Not a fan of watching re releases while I can just pop the DVD into my home theater.

Dec 20 - 07:37 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

A pretty large slate of releases this weekend, although I doubt any of them will beat An Unexpected Journey in it's second weekend. I'm looking forward towards Django Unchained on Christmas (which has gotten reviews way better than I anticipated) than any films coming out this weekend. I have to say Jack Reacher and the re-release of Monster's INC will fight over the number 2 spot this weekend.

Dec 20 - 07:59 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Yes, Django for sure. Though, once again I'll have to wait a week like I did with the Hobbit but I'll live.

On a side note: Is your name really Adam Jones? I'm a Tool (band) fan and Adam Jones is their guitarist, not to mention on of the greatest modern guitarists alive. Just sayin' I like your name, yo!

Dec 20 - 08:52 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Yes this is my real name (why did Rotten Tomatoes starting using people's real names anyway?) I hope you enjoy being in your band.

Dec 21 - 07:20 AM

King Crunk

I am really excited Django. The reviews thus far have been extremely good, and the single negative one on here is from a guy who hates Tarantino in general. I find it ironic that Tarantino keeps harping on retiring from film before he gets old, when it seems like he just keeps pumping out modern classics with each new film.

Dec 20 - 09:29 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Hmm... unless I hear any good about "Jack Reacher", I'll wait for video. "This is 40" I can definitely wait for video on, as well as "Cirque de Soleil 3D", and I'll just skip "The Guilt Trip" entirely since I dislike Seth Rogen. I still remember seeing "Monsters, Inc." in the theater back in 2001; my family has the DVD of it, so I don't need to see it theatrically. Looks like I'll just stay home this weekend.

Dec 20 - 08:10 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Dec 20 - 08:52 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Dec 21 - 07:20 AM

King Crunk

Zero Dark Thirty is definitely the biggest release of the week for movie fans, even if it is limited.

Jack Reacher looks solid, and I appreciated the action scenes that were free of shakey cam showcased in the trailers.

The Guilt Trip looks abysmal. Streisand needs to stay away from movies.

Seems This is 40 is having the same problem Appatow's last film, Funny People, did. Great concept, ideas, and ambition, but uneven execution.

Dec 20 - 09:22 PM

Dec 20 - 09:24 PM

Dec 20 - 09:29 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

I Abosolutly loved Funny People... One of my favorites from Judd... And This is 40 seems to be getting a lot of the same complaints as Funny People sooo I will most likely love it as well

Dec 20 - 11:39 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Wow, the ratings for the wide releases have really dropped since I last checked them. Out of the five films, Jack Reacher is the only one I'm interested in. I really like Tom Cruise as an action star, as he tends to avoid most the clich├ęs that others fall into (He rarely comes off as invincible or a one dimensional killing machine, doesn't rely on an overabundance of cheesy puns, etc).

The limited releases, on the other hand, look much stronger, especially The Impossible and of course Zero Dark Thirty.

Dec 21 - 04:34 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Dec 21 - 07:20 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Zero Dark Thirty, Time to see what all the Fuss is about! I really enjoyed The Hurt Locker so I'm excited for this one.

The Impossible! Very conflicted about this one. It couldn't be any more white washed and yet the Family the story is based is perfectly fine with the White Washing as is the Spanish director...I hated the Help and everybody insisted to me that film was a triumph of the human spirit yet The Impossible (white washing aside) looks 20x more accurate to history than The Help. Lastly the preview and the family's true story has all ready spoiled the entire film that and of course pretty rich white people survive disasters in these films. So it does come across in the preview as a typical movie. I did really Like The Orphanage from this director but also told I was the only one that liked it. Naomi Watts wrecked The Ring Films and King Kong but was outstanding in 21 Grams. Sadness, very Conflicted about this film.

Armour isn't playing anywhere near me.

Dec 21 - 08:38 AM

Dave J

Dave J

"Zero Dark Thirty" would've been a good watch for me as well, except that it's opening on limited release!

Dec 21 - 11:54 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

The Impossible looks impossibly ridiculous. The powers that be yet again did the impossible: turn a movie about Asian people in an Asian country into one strictly about the plight of white leads.
Oh no, whatever will they do about their luggage? They've lost so much!

It's too bad that you're conflicted about it.

I myself am experiencing no inner conflict about it. I absolutely will not see it and I hope it's a huge flop.

But I'm not holding my breath because the average moviegoer has proven time and time again that they don't care about racist casting and whitewashing. Not only that, but they fervently defend such casting practices as well.

Dec 21 - 03:21 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I take it you didn't like Cloud Atlas either? In all seriousness the reason I'm conflicted is that so many people involved in the tragedy are giving it praise. Is there some kind of inbetween the lines message about that i'm missing? I can't stand white washing stuff but the fact that the actual Spanish Family are so happy their story is being told is very confusing to me. I think it's important to recognize that it is in fact Their story being told and not the story of the Eastern coast being destroyed by a title wave.

Dec 22 - 01:52 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships