Jack the Giant Slayer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack the Giant Slayer Reviews

½ August 14, 2013
Really entertaining and charming fairy tale adventure that only suffers from the massive use of CGI. Especially the giants would have worked much better as real actors filmed in forced perspective. That doesn't mean there is plenty to enjoy here, though.
½ May 9, 2013
It is what one would expect.
MANUGINO
March 7, 2014
Prepare for a giant adventure.

Good Fun Movie! "Jack The Giant Slayer" will reasonably divide critics and audiences, but if I had kids, I would have no problem taking them to see this. It's a fun little adventure that kids and open-minded adults will get a kick out of. It was refreshing to find a non ironic, non meta straightforward telling of this story, with some elements of charm and humor. The script is well written, the acting is better than good, and it moves along at a pretty lively pace. Not a classic, but good. It might have been better a little shorter, but that can be said of most movies these days.

Sent to the market by his uncle to sell their horse and buy thatch for their roof, Jack meets the beautiful Princess Isabelle whom he rescues her from ruffians. He returns home only with a handful of beans given to him by a monk who claimed they were sacred but that does little to impress his uncle who tosses them away. In the night the Princess arrives having run off to keep from marrying Roderick who is clearly only interested in becoming king. Soon the beans take root with a giant stalk carrying away the princess and Jack's house. He soon sets off on an adventure with the king's guards to rescue the princess only to find that a mythical land filled with giants really exists.
March 16, 2013
Maybe not for everyone, but I enjoyed this. I found this a rather entertaining new take on an old fable, complete with some humor and monstrous bad guys who need to be 'cut down to size'. A satisfying ending, to boot. Don't expect a particularly cerebral story here; after all, it is a fairy tale...
October 26, 2013
"Fe-fi-fo-fum"

Ahh yes, time for Hollywood to once again churn out yet another rendition to an old fairy-tale and give it that desperately needed "Hollywood flavor".
...Kidding.
The victim to Hollywood's incessant attempt to destroy yet another classic tale: Jack and the Beanstalk.
It's everything that I was coming to expect: gratuitous on CGI, poor screenplay, and a trade-off of stellar storytelling for heavy action. "Jack the Giant Slayer" looks like one of those movies that, sure, has Hollywood's backing, but neither would be a good movie or a box-office powerhouse. Especially after seeing the ratings hitting just near-shy of fresh, this live action rendition of a classic folk tale never caught my attention, but to my surprise, "Jack the Giant Slayer" is 2013's guilty pleasure.

Unfortunately, that's where all the surprises come to a screeching halt. You can't get a much more Hollywood movie than "Jack the Giant Slayer", and you know what? That's perfectly fine. Don't expect Oscar-worthy performances even when we got the likes of acting veterans Ewan McGregor and Stanley Tucci. But what truly makes "Jack the Giant Slayer" shine is that though the film is hefty on CGI, the story itself has just enough action injected into the source material's narrative that brings a quality of an entertaining adventure movie into life. It's not too much and not too little. And because the original source material remains a classic fairy tale because of its compelling storytelling nature, "Jack the Giant Slayer" seemingly manages to stand on its own two feet when the action dies down.

I'm not saying that you should go out and watch it immediately. "Jack the Giant Slayer" is a passable cable movie viewing because of its entertaining nature -- just don't come with high expectations. I could shred this movie to pieces of all the things it doesn't do right, but what it does do right is entertain audiences, whether through the cathartic action or when it unravels the universe of the fairy tale. Perhaps that's all the average joe may be looking for at the movies.
½ July 6, 2013
If anything, JtGS is somewhat of a baseline for family friendly, modern action-adventure-fairytales.

It's well acted, reasonably fun and although the story is old fashioned and impersonal it also has enough minor twists to not be completely bland.

It's an odd combination of childlike fairytale sensibilities mixed with over the top CGI action that we've come to see in recent years. Unfortunately, like 2010's Alice in Wonderland the movie sort of misses both demographics.

It's not whimsical, comedic or fantastic enough and the realistic gritty CGI action isn't very... realistic and gritty. The whole ordeal is just stuck in some bizarre unsatisfying middle ground.
June 18, 2013
A full-on joy-ride that you wont be able to resist. A fascinating, eye-popping, mind-blowing and outstanding roller-coaster ride from start to finish. An instant classic. A smart, funny and awesome action-adventure film. A vastly compelling, visually impressive and captivating re-telling of the thrilling fairy-tale. A spectacular and amazing action-packed adventure that you will love. A fiercely thrilling and endlessly enjoyable epic that's loaded with superb special effects, the action of The Lord of The Rings and the humor of The Princess Bride. A gloriously entertaining and tremendously fun movie that hits all the right notes. A big adventure filled with lots of big heart. An enchanting, magical and tasteful movie that brings out the adventuresses kid in all of us. A total blast for kids and adults. Director, Bryan Singer crafts another fine and excellent piece of work, he proves to be a great example of a genre filmmaker who tackles every project with dedication and vision. The cast is truly wonderful. Nicholas Hoult and Eleanor Tomlinson are terrific. Ewan McGregor is excellent. Stanley Tucci is wonderful. I truly loved this movie.
YodaMasterJedi
June 5, 2013
three stars!!
½ June 4, 2013
'Fe-fi-fo-fum! I smell the blood of an Englishman'

Yet another famous children's fairytale gets the bigscreen treatment but can you make a entire film out of a rather short and rather simple fable?. The other question is which fable is this film supposedly based upon? Jack and the Beanstalk? or Jack the Giant Killer?. Both are very different yet this film merges the two or so it seems. At the same time the films animated intro felt very much like a rip of the 'Hellboy 2' intro, whilst the entire plot about this magical crown felt like a rip of 'Lord of the Rings'.

This whole idea felt very much like a one trick pony to me, that trick simply being the excuse to show huge CGI giants eating people and going on a rampage, and that's it. The rest of the film felt so utterly pointless it was almost laughable. Half the film seems to be based on the beanstalk fairytale with the second half based around the giant killer fable but at the same time neither are remotely accurate to the original sources. So why not just make a completely independent giant fantasy?.

Everything about this just felt like a misfire to me. The casting was poor, Nicholas Hoult is just a very average actor with a very odd haircut (what is going on with that parting?! had the same stupid cut for 'Warm Bodies'). Eleanor Tomlinson as the Princess was so very bland, not particularly attractive and not particularly useful in any way, whilst Ewan McGregor seemed to be doing his weak ass Jedi thing all over again. Only decent performance came from the ever reliable Tucci. Overall the characters weren't really developed much and there was a distinct lack of a really bad baddie.

On top of that the effects weren't even that good! the giants looked exactly like what they were, big CGI giants. It looks like they're trying to make them appear realistic but not entirely, but they look awful. Especially the two headed giant leader with that shitty Gollum-like head, what the hell! giant fail there folks (see what I did there heh). Plus why are most of the giants Irish? am I missing something there? and why aren't there any female giants? how does this race keep going? am I being too picky?.

Even the beanstalk looked pretty naff frankly. The only thing that looked good was the CGI landscapes and the giant island in the sky, but as usual way too much reliance on CGI. There seemed to be many giant waterfalls going over the edge of the giant island, where exactly does all that water go??.

Bottom line this just feels like a jump on that fairytale action flick bandwagon we have seen recently. All the usual big CGI battles, stunts, camera angles etc...the same recycled crud we've seen over and over again. Predictable as usual in that boring modern Hollywood cookie cutter fashion. The plot is thinner than a catwalk model after she's just stepped out of the toilet and to make matters worse the CGI effects are pretty terrible. So you can't even call this a sharp looking updated piece of crap, its just crap.

Oh and the final twist at the end is useless. I mean really, is that suppose to be clever? gee errr genius. And while I'm at it, the films title is 'Jack the Giant Slayer', many giants get killed here but I believe 'Jack' only kills one, so he doesn't slay much then.
thmtsang
March 27, 2013
A runaway princess, a poor farm boy and giants feature in this retelling of Jack and the beanstalk. Jack gets into trouble when a monk swops his horse for some magic beans. Good cast and special effects.
½ August 4, 2012
Did anyone involved in making this film think to themselves ''Hang on, hasn't this been done many times before?''
ajaymuthecooldevils
March 16, 2013
For me 'Jack The Giant Slayer' deserved to be rated as a 4 star movie because of the fun this movie offers to its audiences and how fast paced and thrilling to turn this movie into a really entertaining movie.. Making a fairy tale story and twisting it a little to turn it into an entertaining and enjoyable movie to be watched, I must say that Bryan Singer did a great job in this movie.. For the cast, I'm a little surprised that this movie only had a few well known actors such as Ewan McGregor, Stanley Tucci, and the future heart-rob boy Nicholas Hoult.. When I thought Bryan Singer almost wrapped this movie in an hour and a half and made this movie open-ended so it can had the possibility of a sequel, Bryan add keep the level of the climax of this movie or even take it more higher with his choices and I'm glad that he decided not to ended this movie with an open ending.. Overall, this is a reallt fun and entertaining movie to be watched..
March 14, 2013
Equal parts fun and throwaway, "Jack the Giant Slayer" is a commendable slice of old fashioned entertainment with two strong leads in Nick Hoult and Eleanor Tomlinson and some strong visuals and surprisingly violent action. Beyond that you have a film that feels tiring in it's bloated running time and it's refusal to not do anything fresh or particularly inventive. It's pretty good while it last, but pretty bland and forgettable in hindsight.
Bathsheba Monk
½ March 11, 2013
Took a little too long to get off the ground. The uncle character was unnecessary, I thought and detracted from the adventure story. World class bean stalks, however.
skactopus
March 10, 2013
There really isn't anything "giant" with Bryan Singer's Jack the Giant Slayer.It's a 110 minute film and the script is weak. The story does move along as it has to and there isn't much in the way of drag; however, it lacks any sort of excitement or entertainment value for that matter. The humor triggers very few laughs and there isn't much to remember about any of the characters.The final act is nearly all action, but there is nothing memorable about any of it. The giants do have detail when it comes to the CG, but in the end it is average at best.There are a number of recognizable names filling up the cast, but due to the weak characters nothing sticks out with any of their performances. Stanley Tucci, Ewan McGregor, and Ian McShane are a waste of talent in here. Nicholas Hoult and Eleanor Tomlinson also come up short on the effectiveness meter.In Jack the Giant Slayer, Jack slays some giants. That's about it. End of story.
March 3, 2013
Almost saved by a solid final third, 'Jack the Giant Slayer' still can't manage to hold interest with its slow pace and uninteresting plot. The laughs don't hit as hard as they might've liked, but the visual effects are well done and the conclusion is satisfying. There just isn't enough goodness throughout the entire film to keep it all afloat.
sanjurosamurai
½ March 3, 2013
there is no character development, but i understood the characters because ive seen them all dozens of times before. the comedy was corny, the script cliche, and the special effects pretty weak. so why the high score you ask? because every so often a film is released that is completely flawed, and is at the same time incredibly fun and satisfying. this movie was full of problems, and i thoroughly enjoyed it. part of this is that i really like nicholas hoult, and part of it was just that watching phenomenological creatures has a certain appeal. i can think of many things that would have made it better, but im satisfied with what i got.
½ March 2, 2013
"Jack the Giant Slayer is basically a re imagining of the Jack and the beanstalk fairy tale. Kind of the lIke the recent "Snow White and the Huntsman", in that it takes the story, adds elements, and makes it for adults just as much for children. Nicolas Hoult stars as Jack whom accidentally unleashes the bean stalk and takes the Princess(Isabelle) with it. The King(Ian McShane) has his men along with Jack ascend the stalk to get her back, when they come face to face with an army of Giants. The special effects are fantastic. The giants don't look nearly as bad as I expected considering they are CGI. The performances are all decent and serve the film good. Ewan McGregor has some pretty funny moments, and McShane is awesome as usual(he evens looks like Lord Farquaid from Shrek in a few scenes). Bryan Singer is one of my favorite directors("X-Men" and "Usual Suspects"), and here he takes something that could have been bad and cheesy, and made it entertaining and relevant. Is this a great movie? No, but it is an entertaining film that is perfectly fine for a Saturday afternoon. I'll be showing this to Grant when he gets older, because boys will probably love this with all the action it has. Good flick worth a watch, surpassed my expectations.