Jack the Giant Slayer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack the Giant Slayer Reviews

½ June 4, 2013
'Fe-fi-fo-fum! I smell the blood of an Englishman'

Yet another famous children's fairytale gets the big screen treatment but can you make a entire film out of a rather short and rather simple fable? The other question is which fable is this film supposedly based upon? Jack and the Beanstalk? or Jack the Giant Killer? Both are very different yet this film merges the two or so it seems. At the same time the films animated intro felt very much like a rip of the 'Hellboy 2' intro, whilst the entire plot about this magical crown felt like a rip off 'Lord of the Rings'.

This whole idea felt very much like a one trick pony to me, that trick simply being the excuse to show huge CGI giants eating people and going on a rampage, and that's it. The rest of the film felt so utterly pointless it was almost laughable. Half the film seems to be based on the beanstalk fairytale with the second half based around the giant killer fable but at the same time neither are remotely accurate to the original sources. So why not just make a completely independent giant fantasy?

Everything about this just felt like a misfire to me. The casting was poor, Nicholas Hoult is just a very average actor with a very odd haircut (what is going on with that parting?! had the same stupid cut for 'Warm Bodies'). Eleanor Tomlinson as the Princess was so very bland, not particularly attractive and not particularly useful in any way, whilst Ewan McGregor seemed to be doing his weak ass Jedi thing all over again. Only decent performance came from the ever reliable Tucci. Overall the characters weren't really developed much and there was a distinct lack of a really bad baddie.

On top of that the effects weren't even that good! the giants looked exactly like what they were, big CGI giants. It looks like they're trying to make them appear realistic but not entirely, but they look awful. Especially the two headed giant leader with that shitty Gollum-like head, what the hell! giant fail there folks (see what I did there heh). Plus why are most of the giants Irish? am I missing something there? and why aren't there any female giants? how does this race keep going? am I being too picky?

Even the beanstalk looked pretty naff frankly. The only thing that looked good was the CGI landscapes and the giant island in the sky, but as usual way too much reliance on CGI. There seemed to be many giant waterfalls going over the edge of the giant island, where exactly does all that water go??

Bottom line this just feels like a jump on that fairytale action flick bandwagon we have seen recently. All the usual big CGI battles, stunts, camera angles etc...the same recycled crud we've seen over and over again. Predictable as usual in that boring modern Hollywood cookie cutter fashion. The plot is thinner than a catwalk model after she's just stepped out of the toilet and to make matters worse the CGI effects are pretty terrible. So you can't even call this a sharp looking updated piece of crap, its just crap.

Oh and the final twist at the end is useless. I mean really, is that suppose to be clever? gee...errr...genius. And while I'm at it, the films title is 'Jack the Giant Slayer', many giants get killed here but I believe Jack only kills one, so he doesn't slay much then.
February 27, 2014
Looks like Singer wanted to make an R rated fairy tale but the studio got cold feet
July 6, 2013
Solid, fairy tale fun. The giants are cool.
½ April 10, 2016
A generally well made and enjoyable film. It manages to avoid the hackneyed dialogue of most films (I don't think there was a single one-liner), and the actors are good.
February 12, 2012
I liked it. Great acting and interesting take on the classic fairy tale. more people should see this.
February 13, 2016
It's a bit of fun alright. It could be more I think.
½ April 5, 2015
It had great actors, But that's all i remember what is good.
The movie itself is very Trash!
Taking the Piss out of Jack in the Beanstalk and they choose to add more and more giants.

My Score Opinion: 40/100
March 16, 2013
Entretenimiento hollywoodense clasico, fallido, con efectos visuales muy buenos, olvidable pero recomendable, pelicula perfecta pa toda la family.
January 6, 2016
I thought it was awesome¬°!
March 8, 2013
Another fairytale turned film with an adult plot, it wasnt great but wasnt bad the first half hour dragged with not alot happening and when the pace does pick up its good but soon slows down again, i cant comment on the 3D as i watched it in 2D version, the final quarter of the film was pretty good with some great effects but its all been done before, the giants looked great and the story was good, its just about worth watching but its nothing new.
July 22, 2013
Loved this movie. Well played.
April 13, 2015
half a start for Warwick Davis (he makes a cameo)
half a star for Bill Nighy
half star for the rest of the film.

Better of giving this film a miss. :)
½ November 15, 2015
Normally i doesn't really like this kinda faritale story's , but the normal people and the Giants and the magic beans make it a pleasure to watch !
October 27, 2015
una de las peores cintas del 2013
½ August 14, 2013
Really entertaining and charming fairy tale adventure that only suffers from the massive use of CGI. Especially the giants would have worked much better as real actors filmed in forced perspective. That doesn't mean there is plenty to enjoy here, though.
October 20, 2015
Good clean fun with a simple unpretentious story. Special effects are well done, not over done. Overall it is a truly excellent film and I can't fault it one bit. Thoroughly enjoyable and I'm sure very well suited as a family film.
October 20, 2015
A great mindless adventure romp. One of the better fairytale adaptations. The heroics were spread between all the 'good' characters making them all likeable.
½ September 22, 2015
didnt care for this only bryan singer pic i don't like and as i've said b4 I d/k wot others like i only know what I like!
September 20, 2015
Nicholas Hoult continues to impress in this live action depiction of Jack and the Beanstalk.