—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Jackal Reviews

Lucas M

June 6, 2011
Bad movie, bad review. Rotten.
garyX
garyX

April 28, 2007
A cold blooded professional assassin is hired by the Russian mob and a joint FBI-Russian secret service task force race against time to prevent him from reaching his target in the USA. Allegedly a remake of The Day Of The Jackal, this film actually has very little in common with it. The original was a study of an ice cold killer who always kept two steps ahead of the authorities and is unusual for its distinct lack of action. This is more like a cross between In The Line Of Fire and The Rock with the American studio system unwilling to go without a pointless explosion or irrelevant car chase at strategic intervals. Bruce Willis was a very odd casting choice for the part, usually relying on his charm and quips but some dodgy hairstyle choices aside, he is reasonably OK. Sidney Poitier is as reliable as always as the pursuing FBI agent and is nicely complimented by Diane Verona and Richard Gere whose Irish accent is almost bearable (compared to some of the others I've heard in this type of film. Blown Away for example...) Whether you enjoy this film or not is going to rely entirely on if you can swallow the glaring absurdities of the plot; namely the fact that all these international terrorists seem to know each other as if there is some Al-Qaeda social club where they all share eggnog at christmas or something, the implausible final confrontation and the vendetta between the central characters which completely misses the point of the original. All in all, it's just another silly Hollywood action thriller and if that's what you expect then that's what you'll get.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 21, 2010
Great thriller with a great performance by Bruce Willis and Richard Gere. Full review later.
Dean !

January 1, 2007
Finally got round to seeing this, been meaning to for years! This is a very enjoyable action/thriller centered around a hunt for an elusive hitman. The emphasis is definitely on the action, seeing Willis go through about 10 different looks as a master of disguise was fun. The tension builds as the day of the hit gets closer, will the FBI and Russian agents be able to stop him? This has a great cast including Richard Gere, Sidney Poitier and even Jack Black makes an early film appearance. The whole Manhunt, assassin films have been done bigger and better since this was made. However this is still a classy enjoyable film.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

December 25, 2008
Yawn...
Cassandra M

November 8, 2009
I thought that this was an intelligent thriller that lived up to the original. I thought that willis portrayed the perfect cold-blooded assassin. Richard Gere did a fine job as well. Even though you can tell his cheesey accent is a fake. This is not an action movie, so if you're expecting cars and planes blowing up, it doesn't happen. Even though one car blows up. This is a thriller and a good one at that.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
Painfully crap!
Red L

February 3, 2009
I haven't seen "The Day of the Jackal" yet, so I can't compare this movie to the predecessor. I found the movie alright.

Of course it doesn't make sense that an assassin with the reputation of the Jackal would be so easy to figure out, but I am here to enjoy the movie not to complain about every little inconsistency.
Sophie B

January 25, 2009
The story was really good and interesting and the characters were great. The fantastic cast did a great job however I could have turned it off at any point and not be bothered about it.
Luke B

August 12, 2008
There's nothing too horrible about this film other than the derivative nature of the film and some very poor accents. AT the same time there is nothing to recommend it on. Must admit it did have me hooked which helped me to overlook any plot holes, but the lack of time Willis and Gere had on screen meant there was no real tension between the two. The complex way in which different governments work together and hire and contact the most bizarre of people is also off putting. Could the screenwriters not just made Gere the only Jackal witness instead of having a lumbering sort of romantic side plot? Willis was excellent and suited every disguise of his, but his cold bastard nature wasn't fully exploited.
Gx7
Gx7

May 19, 2008
Cool Soundtrack, but for an assasin movie, this one surely had a couple of wrinkles, oh I guess people wont really notice it if they only see it once.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 4, 2008
Bruce Willis puts on a good performance in this remake, plot put together well.
Aaron N

June 12, 2007
Carter Preston: Witherspoon, you by-the-book asshole.

A very lame and forgettable action movie with a plot that becomes more and more ridiculous.

For some reason Richard Gere is cast in the lead action role as an Irish prisoner who is the only one that can stop an assassin played by Bruce Willis.

Willis is alright as a cold blooded killer, except that his methods are needlessly complicated.

For some reason Sidney Poitier of all people is also in this film as an FBI head official.

The story is pretty bad and it doesn't help that the director tries to add "style" throughout with flashy techniques.

Even Jack Black steps in here for some reason, only to get blown away later on. Pass.

The Jackal: Ooh, that's bad. The blood's almost black, that means the bullet's in your liver. You have about 20 minutes to live. If the pain gets to be too much, you can take your hand away. Then you'll be dead in 5 minutes.
Jason S

February 26, 2007
I liked this remake and thought the cast was picked perfectly.
Al S

February 2, 2007
A pulse-pounding and electrifying edge of your seat thriller. Heart-racing and exhilerating. Stylish, compelling and brilliant. Packs lots of searing suspense, explosive action and great performances by Richard Gere, Bruce Willis and Sidney Poitier. A great standoff between two dynamic superstars. It will keep you on the edge of your seat with its heart-pounding story and adreniline-pumping excitment.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
pretty good assassin movie
Michael G

November 14, 2006
The only good part was when Bruce Willis' "boyfriend" came home and Willis shot him. That killed me.
deano
deano

November 1, 2006
Great international suspense thriller with Bruce Willis, Richard Gere and Sidney Poitier.
Stuart B

October 30, 2006
poor remake
Lanning :

May 10, 2006
I can't remember another movie where I saw so many people get up and walk out of the theater. I stayed, against my better judgment, to the bitter end.