63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

40% Intruders: Season 1
90% Outlander: Season 1

Jacob's Ladder Reviews

September 10, 2014
"Jacob's Ladder" is definitely one of the more frighteningly trippy movies I've seen. You're never quite sure of just what the hell is going on. Is Jacob alive or dead? Are these demons he's seeing real or hallucinatory? Is his relationship with his girlfriend even real? The film doesn't exactly give you any answers until the ending. It's not a fun film to watch, but the journey into the dark recesses of the mind it takes you on is sure to scare you.
September 5, 2014
Possibly one of the most underrated movies, not just horror movies of all time. It is hard to consider this depiction of a man tormented by his memories of Vietnam, and the unfortunate demise of his young son as merely pop horror when it is so much more than that. This movie without revealing its overall outcome is a complete Labyrinth into someone's personal hell or what one individuals idea of hell is to them. Tim Robbins delivers my favorite performance of his to date and yes that includes Shawshank Redemption and Mystic River. The morbidly euphoric ride Jacob takes is haunting, vivid, and without a doubt terrifying b/c anyone can place misfortunes and tragedies they've experienced in their lives and manifest them into traumatic nightmares. I attribute the master craft of this nightmarish vision to it's director Adrian Lyne and the films excellent use of lighting. This movie is as deep as horror films can be when they utilize their potential. Many will feel they were cheated by this movie if they think that this is going to be relatable to almost any modern horror movie or slasher film that were apparent at the time of this films release. This movie has multiple layers and messages that will manipulate the viewers mind and hopefully refresh anyone's opinion that horror can't be taken artistically serious. This has my vote as the best horror film of the 1990s. To anyone who doubts the horror in this film I ask one to take a step back and realize that climbing Jacob's ladder is about more than cheap scares and gore. In many ways this is a spiritual film above anything else that has more of a chance to make the viewer cover their eyes from tears rather than scares.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
August 23, 2014
Jacob's Ladder - American psychological horror film written and produced by Bruce Joel Rubin and directed by Adrian Lyne. Starring Tim Robbins, Elizabeth Peņa and Danny Aiello. It inspired several films including franchise 'Silent Hill' as well as a remake Jacob's Ladder is announced.

Jacob [Tim Robbins] plays a Vietnam veteran who suffers from hallucinative imagination - and nightmarish flashback of last time getting injured at the Vietnam-war battle. These ghastly images open up twisted-thread.

Film is nowhere near being called as 'horror' (not even psychological aspect of it qualify it to be referred as horror). Film's central theme is inspired from the real-incident of usage of hallucinative medicines in the Vietnam-war by the Pentagon (an allegation that was denied by Pentagon). Good acting, soothing music-score!
June 12, 2012
What? I had no idea what happened....
August 14, 2014
This was a FANTASTIC movie. I've seen it multiple times, and love it every time!! Twisted, weird and off the wall, but great!
August 8, 2014
horror? what horror!?!? there's no horror in this messed up delusional halucinations of a dying man! that's all what it's about in this waiste of time they called film
August 5, 2014
A masterful psychological journey with a great sense of paranoia and symbolism--Anguishing, Intriguing, Original, Unique... Ascending the Celluloid Ladder!!
December 11, 2007
Tripping balls! Unreservedly recommended.
August 2, 2014
A little weird but excellent movie
Victor Hugo S.
July 30, 2014
The ending makes the film pointless.
June 21, 2014
If you know me, you know I love movies that make you think and Jacob's Ladder does just that. Director Adrian Lyne successfully combines the genres of psychological thriller, mystery, drama, and horror. A very underrated movie and one that everyone should see
filmlover1994
June 11, 2014
Ms. Carmen Watched 1991's The Silence Of The Lambs On VHS In 1992.
June 10, 2014
Sickly twisted, surreal and unsettling.
June 9, 2014
I enjoy movies a lot, and consider this to be the worst movie I have ever seen. Just 0%, plain and simple. Terrible!!!
June 2, 2014
A confusing but tense, dark and disturbing film. Jacob's Ladder is psychological horror done smartly, whose influence is still felt to this day with Silent Hill. A horror masterpiece that shouldn't be missed.
May 30, 2014
Jacob Singer is a soldier in vietnam, is knifed in the abdomen, and is suffering. To escape the suffering he periodically falls into dreams of an alternative future, and into dreams about his past. Several scenes make it apparent that he does not survive his injury in vietnam: when he goes to see "Dr Carlson" as a "vietnam vet" the receptionist says she can't find Jacob Singer in her files; at the party he goes, the woman reading his palm says his life-line shows that he is already dead.

The dreams he has while dying are affected by being on the drug "ladder" which makes the dreams more unpleasant than they might otherwise be.

Very remininiscent of "An Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge" only his death takes longer and his escapes into his dreams go on longer and are a mixed bag of bad dreams as well as good dreams.

A very moving movie about the transition from life to death and about things that can make this more unpleasant than it needs to be - like for example war, and certain drugs.
May 4, 2014
very weird... very screwed up and not gonna lie at times I was bored but it kept me interested because of how weird it was but the movie ultimately is saved by a brilliant ending
Leo D.
April 21, 2014
A journey into Vietnam's soldier mind after a really cruel world.
April 15, 2014
Jacob's Ladder is a mind bending psychological thriller following a Vietnam War veteran dealing with a secret kept from him since the war. The movie is often hailed as a horror, but it's not quite unsettling enough to justly classify it as that. The performances are passable, but nothing really spectacular. The plot gets trippy and confusing but all rounds out in the end. The ending is the most controversial part of this movie, many find it makes the whole movie pointless, but I enjoyed it and thought it saved a bit of the movie. 3.5/5
October 29, 2013
"Jacob's Ladder" is a psychological horror that actually made me scared. I loved Tim Robbins portrayal of Jacob Singer. I really felt for his character and felt everything he was going through. I almost shed a tear for the poor guy. The imagery is haunting with the fast moving heads, the random demons, the crows circling, and the hospital scene/tub scene get me every time. The twist ending is something that requires a second watching, it makes more sense and takes a while to sink in for full effect. This is one of the movies i'll be thinking about for a long time. Grab a copy and get lost in the psychological thrill ride known as "Jacob's Ladder".