Jacob's Ladder Reviews

April 15, 2015
Pretty good mind-fuck of a movie with creepy paranoia from Vietnam soldiers dosed with BZ. Stays interesting throughout and has a solidly bleak ending.
March 6, 2015
It would have been better if I didn't watch this. Still after few days I cannot put 2 + 2
together - nothings add to me , simple as that.
½ February 26, 2015
His 'life' jumps from reality to reality and sometimes he is confused and sometimes you're confused. The jumping around offers little in definition or depth and through most of them I was not interested. And then it sort of but not really even happened, but because I already didn't care......eh.
September 7, 2013
a descent into the pit of fear has Jacob losing his mind
the film is full of surreal images and scary stuff
our reality begins to get questioned as well going from one thing to the next
once it's revealed what's causing this madness it's simple enough although it doesn't raise the bar for the film entirely
still, Tim Robbins wonderfully plays a Vietnam vet on the verge of insanity and trying to find out what it is
once more war does terrible things to people and some things we don't even remember what scares us the most
all kinds of demons emerge from what we've suffered and what we've lost
January 10, 2015
This is my favorite movie. Not easy to watch, and even more difficult to unpack. I once watched this movie with seven friends, and at the end of the movie asked them what the plot of the movie was. I got 7 different responses. Before cerebral, byzantine movies became all the rage, Jacob's Ladder explored reality, time, and madness with a truly thought-provoking story.
½ October 4, 2012
A surprisingly brilliant, suspenful and visually stunning gem of a film
June 30, 2009
Probably the closest thing to a decent Silent Hill movie we'll ever get.
March 25, 2007
A brilliant film. Tim Robbins great. This psychological thriller is fantastic. I'm surprised that the makers of Silent Hill (the video game) were inspired by this film.
October 19, 2014
A haunting puzzle that will stick with you.
October 7, 2014
"If you're frightened of dying, and you're hanging on, you'll see demons tearing your life apart."

What a trip.
September 22, 2014
'Jacob's Ladder' makes for an interesting watch due to it's thoroughly creepy atmosphere And Tim Robbins' dedicated performance, but all it's good points are undone by a story which does a fair bit of telegraphing. The visual language is too suggestive in terms of story foreshadowing, despite being aesthetically very pleasing. Psychological thriller fans will certainly enjoy it while others might have to show some faith.
September 22, 2014
As ambiguous as you may have heard, yet Jacob's Ladder's success isn't simply it's ambiguity, it's the way it uses it and the impeccable craft it displays doing so, few movies have ever been successful in picking apart the viewer's brain, and this fine piece of filmmaking is one of them
September 10, 2014
"Jacob's Ladder" is definitely one of the more frighteningly trippy movies I've seen. You're never quite sure of just what the hell is going on. Is Jacob alive or dead? Are these demons he's seeing real or hallucinatory? Is his relationship with his girlfriend even real? The film doesn't exactly give you any answers until the ending. It's not a fun film to watch, but the journey into the dark recesses of the mind it takes you on is sure to scare you.
September 5, 2014
Possibly one of the most underrated movies, not just horror movies of all time. It is hard to consider this depiction of a man tormented by his memories of Vietnam, and the unfortunate demise of his young son as merely pop horror when it is so much more than that. This movie without revealing its overall outcome is a complete Labyrinth into someone's personal hell or what one individuals idea of hell is to them. Tim Robbins delivers my favorite performance of his to date and yes that includes Shawshank Redemption and Mystic River. The morbidly euphoric ride Jacob takes is haunting, vivid, and without a doubt terrifying b/c anyone can place misfortunes and tragedies they've experienced in their lives and manifest them into traumatic nightmares. I attribute the master craft of this nightmarish vision to it's director Adrian Lyne and the films excellent use of lighting. This movie is as deep as horror films can be when they utilize their potential. Many will feel they were cheated by this movie if they think that this is going to be relatable to almost any modern horror movie or slasher film that were apparent at the time of this films release. This movie has multiple layers and messages that will manipulate the viewers mind and hopefully refresh anyone's opinion that horror can't be taken artistically serious. This has my vote as the best horror film of the 1990s. To anyone who doubts the horror in this film I ask one to take a step back and realize that climbing Jacob's ladder is about more than cheap scares and gore. In many ways this is a spiritual film above anything else that has more of a chance to make the viewer cover their eyes from tears rather than scares.
½ August 23, 2014
Jacob's Ladder - American psychological horror film written and produced by Bruce Joel Rubin and directed by Adrian Lyne. Starring Tim Robbins, Elizabeth Peņa and Danny Aiello. It inspired several films including franchise 'Silent Hill' as well as a remake Jacob's Ladder is announced.

Jacob [Tim Robbins] plays a Vietnam veteran who suffers from hallucinative imagination - and nightmarish flashback of last time getting injured at the Vietnam-war battle. These ghastly images open up twisted-thread.

Film is nowhere near being called as 'horror' (not even psychological aspect of it qualify it to be referred as horror). Film's central theme is inspired from the real-incident of usage of hallucinative medicines in the Vietnam-war by the Pentagon (an allegation that was denied by Pentagon). Good acting, soothing music-score!
June 12, 2012
What? I had no idea what happened....
August 14, 2014
This was a FANTASTIC movie. I've seen it multiple times, and love it every time!! Twisted, weird and off the wall, but great!
August 8, 2014
horror? what horror!?!? there's no horror in this messed up delusional halucinations of a dying man! that's all what it's about in this waiste of time they called film
½ August 5, 2014
A masterful psychological journey with a great sense of paranoia and symbolism--Anguishing, Intriguing, Original, Unique... Ascending the Celluloid Ladder!!
December 11, 2007
Tripping balls! Unreservedly recommended.