• PG-13, 2 hr. 1 min.

80% Vicious: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Jane Eyre Reviews

June 22, 2014
I haven't read the book but the movie is very touching. Like every great novels there is something you loose in the end. Movie wise it's very good. Mia Wasikowska is fantastic. Well worth watching.
July 6, 2011
Like I said in my book review, I probably would've liked the story better if I had discovered sooner rather than later. I'm kinda past my goth/bad boy phase. As it stands, it's still a nice story and the acting's not bad.
May 28, 2014
Although it can be a bit slow and dry at times the costumes and Mia Wasikowska as Jane Eyre are among the stand outs. Unfortunately her and Fassbender lack chemistry from time to time.
December 10, 2011
Mia Wasikowska must essentially carry "Jane Eyre," and succeeds with restraint, expressing a strong moral compass.
May 10, 2012
I have a theory that the first movie version of a classic novel you see will almost always be your favorite. There might be other versions that you see afterwards that are just as good (or better) in some ways, but the first will always be the one that really got to you. I'm jaded because the first for me was the 1983 play with Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke. I liked this movie very much, but it lacked the passion and personality I liked so much from the play.
April 27, 2014
I wasn't sure about the movie at the start. It jumped around a bit on the timeline. But I definitely fell into it by the 30 minute mark. I think reading the book prior to watching probably helped me get so involved. I think they did a good job of getting the story across in such a short time. I do think anyone that watches this should read the book to understand the characters even better.
Casimira F.
April 24, 2014
The disappointment i felt upon watching this film was enormous. That could possibly be due to the fact that I had just finished reading the book and I felt they did not give enough credit to the very scenes that deserved it most.
I feel Jane or 'Mia' did not play Jane justly, she was too reserved, too emotional at the wrong times and she had such a sad, scared and forlorn look about her, nothing of the strong Jane I had grown to admire during the novel.
I wouldn't want to sound all negative, and I know that films usually don't follow the book exactly word by word (I did keep all this in mind before watching it!), but even my joint-second favourite character, Helen Burns, was robbed of her inspiring speeches, fantasies and imaginations in this film. I found the layout of the film immensely disagreeable. the jumping back and forth with Jane's childhood somewhat dampened the interesting flow that was present in the book (and while am at it complaining away to my hearts content, in hopes it will make me feel better; did they really have to leave out what really happened in the Red room and Bessie and her kindness?)
As for St John and his sisters, I was delighted to find that their clothes matched the descriptions in the book, even if their faces were not! I had to suppress my initial disappointment when Jane appeared sobbing right at the beginning and did not look through the window of Moor House at the two sisters, or that she was not first turned away by the house-keeper. This should have been a warning to me of the poor character of Jane of the film.

Mind, I have not finished watching the film, having only reached 35 minutes through. I'm hoping to maybe pledge myself to it sometime after the soreness and disappointment dies down a little. if it ever shall.
April 8, 2014
First act is kinda weak, rest is great. Fukunaga is the real deal. Love the high ISO shit.
March 2, 2011
Based on my favorite novel, this adaptation is the most closest and truest to the book. Michael Fassbender makes a terrific Rochester while Mia Wasikowska shines in her portrayal as Jane Eyre.
March 7, 2014
As equally engaging as the novel. Fassbender adequately embodies the mad,bad and dangerous to know hero of C. Bronte's only work.
October 7, 2010
I was sadly unimpressed - it was nothing like the 100 times better originals of this timeless film.
November 6, 2011
Possibly the most watchable version of Jane Eyre ever produced...but you'll only like it if this sort of thing is to your liking.
February 21, 2011
Fotografia, musica y una muy buena historia y actuacion de Mia Wasikowska... Vale la pena verla para quienes sean amantes de las novelas ;)
February 1, 2014
Admirable direction failed terribly mostly by horrid pace. For as blunt and bleak as this adaptation attempts to be, it's far too drawn-out and painstaking.
topjim
January 20, 2014
Just thought i'd sit down and find out what this classic story is all about. I enjoyed it
October 30, 2011
The mere cinematography of this film is what makes it so wonderfully profound.
MirrorX
January 18, 2014
Forbidden love kind of.......I was reading the novel as well. Didn't find it good in either novel or movie.
January 17, 2014
I found this production captured the most important aspect of the original book. It is less operatic than other versions, less romantic and histrionic, yet it achieved a heightened and distilled integrity.
January 15, 2014
More artistic and atmospheric than one would expect. Overall a solid movie in many respects.
April 21, 2011
Wasikowska is almost too gorgeous for the role of plain Jane Eyre.