Janie Jones - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Janie Jones Reviews

January 30, 2012
The Little Miss Sunshine star is a very talented teen now. This movie was very enjoyable. Good music. Touching story. A really well done Independent film....love these!
September 25, 2012
A heart-wrenching and deeply absorbing movie. It`s the best film of its kind since Crazy Heart. A powerful and emotionally gripping film that just tugs on your heart. Abigail Breslin and Alessandro Nivola gives outstanding performances. Breslin is truly heart breaking and brilliant. Nivola is magnificent. A tremendous surprise to watch. A wonderfully written and exceptionally crafted work.
LWOODS04
March 27, 2012
Cast: Abigail Breslin, Alessandro Nivola, Elisabeth Shue, Peter Stormare, Joel David Moore, Frances Fisher, Brittany Snow, Frank Whaley, Rodney Eastman, David Lee Smith

Director: David M. Rosenthal

Summary: Has-been rock star Ethan Brand is attempting a comeback when a former groupie tells him he has a 13-year-old daughter, Janie, and leaves her in his care. Janie must then convince the hedonistic Ethan to reform and accept his responsibilities.

My Thoughts: "I really enjoyed the movie and it's story. Abigail Breslin has changed into a very beautiful young adult. What hasn't changed is her great talent. She is great in this film, and her voice is great as well. She also shows some great talent on the guitar. It was a pleasant surprise. Alessandro Nivola aslo is fantastic in the film and has a great voice as well. The story may have been done before, but not with so much heart. I really felt the father and daughter relationship that started out complicated and awkward grew into a loving and protective relationship. It's a funny, touching, and honest film. The film also has some great music. A film I would recommend."
Harlequin68
½ May 9, 2013
The movie starts with Mary Ann(Elisabeth Shue) taking her 13-year old daughter Janie(Abigail Breslin) to meet her father Ethan(Alessandro Nivola), who is in Little Rock touring with his band, for the first time. Whatever Mary Ann was expecting, it could have not been that Ethan says that he does not remember her, much less not claim Janie as his own, even with a copy of her birth certificate listing him as the father. So, Mary Ann forces the issue by leaving Janie behind at the concert venue, leading Janie to call 911. That leaves her with a choice of getting on the tour bus or taking a tour of the foster care system. With Ethan's assent, she chooses the former.

Even though the plot of "Janie Jones" sounds like it has been done plenty of times before, the movie finds its own nuanced downbeat way, hitting just the right notes, mostly due to the excellence of its two lead performances.(However, the less said of Elisabeth Shue the better.) Alessandro Nivola is especially good playing a tortured soul who with the departure of his enablers from his life is forced for once to reconsider his life while learning how to act around a 13-year old daughter.(Learning from watching her irresponsible mother, Janie can take care of herself while still being young enough to not have to think about psychoanalysis yet.) While the movie is subtle about its condemnation of drug and alcohol abuse, it also helps that Ethan is not instantly likable, as the movie does not take the easy way out.
September 2, 2011
Decent drama with a good cast and a nice soundtrack
½ October 5, 2014
Seeing movies back to back on a plane is always interesting. The context can totally shift the tone of a film. Watched JANIE JONES, a lovely small indie that just feels so right and so right now, capturing the ebb and flow of contemporary life. The film doesn't break any new territory but as a character study it surprises in so many ways. Both Abigail Breslin and Alessandro Nivola are pitch perfect and even every small role from Elizabeth Shue to one of my favorites Peter Stormare, just rings right. An eloquent complex work that really surprised me!
½ December 14, 2013
Sweet, although not so much an original story. Abigail Breslin shines as the title character and shows that not only is she a very talented actress, but a talented singer as well.
October 18, 2011
U know what abigail is getting better to nice for my taste but this guy wow how can u not love him he was great
August 26, 2012
Cliche for more then most of the movie, but I can say I enjoyed a fair amount of this to say it was pretty good.
July 4, 2012
The story is familiar and the arc trite, but the acting is reputable and the music excellent. It felt a bit too obvious at times with the film as a whole trying hard but failing to become the next crossover in the line of "Once."
½ February 15, 2012
Covering similar ground as 2010's FAR superior Somewhere (starring Steven Dorff and Elle Fanning in these "same" roles), Janie Jones is another father-daughter bonding pic although this one is set in the world of tour buses and indie rock where Somewhere was glitz/glam of Hollywood and hotels. Alessandro Nivola (Junebug, Jurassic Park 3, Face/Off) stars as musician Ethan Brand who's band is on the road of a "Comeback Tour". When the band comes to Little Rock, a former flame (Elisabeth Shue -- Leaving Las Vegas) informs him that she'll be seeking rehab and will need him to watch their daughter (Abigail Breslin - Zombieland, Little Miss Sunshine) while she does so. Obviously ... a bomb like that wouldn't NOT ruffle a few feathers within the group. Part of Janie Jones' problem is this very part of the film -- we don't know enough about Ethan and his past and bandmates to make total sense of what becomes of this; but we do see him begin to enteract with his daughter Janie and see their relationship grow. I don't buy all of it ... and I did but the bonding in Somewhere. If more of THIER story had been presented, perhaps we'd allow for the relationship to become believable; but I don't feel as if Janie Jones allows for this. The filmmakers knew how they wanted the film to end; but they didn't know how to BELIEVABLy get to that point. Perhaps some wouldn't care; but I felt let down by that. It was as if a fast-forward button had been pushed a couple of times and I missed out on portions of story that was necessary to convince me of what I was seeing. This isn't a bad film (although the songs in it are bad -- which is rather strange) ... it is just one that feels short-changed. There could have been something more here but there isn't.
October 7, 2010
I saw this film at TIFF, and enjoyed it immensely.
Abigail Breslin is moving toward more mature roles, and from what I can tell it seems
it will be a seamless transition for the young star. She leads her character with exceptional
range and humility. Transitioning with ease from desperation to insecurity to joy.
Alessando Nivola is also amazing in his role as Janie Jones estranged father.
Moving from hardcore douche-bag rocker to warm and fuzzy. We like Alessandro, a lot.

The soundtrack deserves a review on it's own, as it is full of life, but channels the
melancholy of the title character and her father in a beautiful way.
There is an acoustic feel to the music that is relieved by edgier rock and roll throughout
the film.

Nivola and Breslin performed all the songs themselves, which helps personalize
the tunes, letting the performers channel the emotion that exists in the script.

This is one of my favorite movies so far this year.
January 5, 2016
I very much enjoyed this film. Breslin portrayed Janie Jones beautifully. You cannot help but feel for her. I also did not even know that Breslin could sing well
June 13, 2015
A sweet, but rather forgettable movie.
March 12, 2015
I just watched this on netflix the other day and it kind of reminds me of my life. I loved this movie because of that :)
½ October 5, 2014
September 13, 2014
i thought the movie was terrific. I cannot understand the negative reviews. the acting was superb.
June 30, 2014
Its a nice story but nothing special.
May 19, 2014
Me gusto bastante, muy tierna y buena música.