Roy Scheider: 1932-2008

Rest in peace, Mr. Scheider.

Actor Roy Scheider, who earned Oscar nominations for his work in The French Connection and All That Jazz, passed away of undisclosed causes over the weekend. He was 75 years old.

Though Scheider's work encompassed everything from stints on soap operas to a star turn in 2010: The Year We Make Contact, he's probably best remembered for his appearance as police chief Martin Brody in Jaws and Jaws 2. Though he never broke through to the sort of leading roles enjoyed by contemporaries such as Gene Hackman, Scheider worked steadily for decades on television and film.

Scheider died at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences hospital in Little Rock, where spokespersons declined to reveal his cause of death. According to Variety, however, Scheider "had been diagnosed with myeloma in 2004 and subsequently underwent a bone marrow transplant."

Scheider is survived by his wife, Brenda, and three children.

Source: Variety

Comments

123Dan123

Dan Rhodenizer

It was fun watching him in Jaws. RIP Roy.

Feb 13 - 05:48 AM

bwozar

Bernard Ozarowski

Cpt Nathan Bridger and Chief Brody were two of my favorite characters growing up. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends and I'm thankful I got to watch his work over the years.

Feb 13 - 07:01 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

I can't believe so few have commented on this. I always liked him. RIP.

Feb 13 - 07:27 AM

a.n.t.

ant poland

R.I.P.

Feb 13 - 07:31 AM

jaredisme

jared burnworth

where is the love for mr. roy s? another tragic hollywood story of an actor taken before his time....say hello to heaven good sir

Feb 13 - 07:32 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Now I hardly think you can classify dying at 75 under the "Taken before his time category". Isn't that pretty much the average lifespan for a male in America, but still a great actor who deserved more attention than he got for his work. I hope he finally gets "a bigger boat" in heaven.

Feb 13 - 12:11 PM

The Great One

A Z

Rip Mr. Scheider

Feb 13 - 07:47 AM

IAmWinner

Emilie Ille

Jaws was one of those milestone movies in my life. Mr. Scheider was perfect in his role. He will always be with us in film.

Feb 13 - 08:02 AM

MovieSamurai

j _

He is one of my favorite actors. He will be missed

Feb 13 - 08:32 AM

cypress550

jeremy burnside

he was a good actor rest in peace roy.

Feb 13 - 08:34 AM

chazbow

Chuck O'Leary

Roy Scheider was one of my all-time favorite actors and he was extremely underrated. He was such a believably heroic figure as Chief Martin Brody in "Jaws" and "Jaws 2" that he became one of the symbols of cool during my childhood. For years, I looked forward to everything he did. I am genuinely saddened about his death. God bless Mr. Scheider. You will be fondly remembered as one of the best.

Feb 13 - 08:58 AM

Art_of_the_Topless

Bobby Oliveaux

Jeez... I'm just getting used to Heath Ledger not being around and now this... I agree with the guy that said "i can't believe there aren't more posts on this". Anyone that grew up watching movies in the 70s/80's has gotta know/respect Scheider. Everyone knows him from "Jaws" but I think I'll always remeber him from "Blue Thunder" or "French Connection". This guy was in some CLASSIC films that wouldn't have been as good without him. What was Malcom McDowell's crappy line from "Blue Thunder"??? Oh yeah... Roy, catch ya' later.

Feb 13 - 09:27 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

GREAT scene:

[outrage building]

"Yeah, well I know what a shark looks like! I've SEEN one UP CLOSE!!!"

My condolences to his family.

Feb 13 - 09:34 AM

jacketman

Brian Thatcher

He was cool.

Feb 13 - 09:52 AM

hunch51984

Jason Reneau

Yeah Jaws and Seaquest were the best, just recently saw a few episodes of Seaquest and brought back some good memories, gonna miss you Roy, Rest in Peace man.

Feb 13 - 09:58 AM

thereign

lance berry

Roy was a great actor, and Art_of_the_Topless is right: a lot of classic films wouldn't have been as good without him in them, especially "Jaws". Best wishes and condolences to his family. Peace be with you, Roy.

Feb 13 - 10:02 AM

Alcy

Alcy Greaves

I agree with the above posts, Roy was a fantastic actor, I just saw ads on TV last night for his role in Criminal Intent after I found out he had died and I was saddened. Seaquest was one of my favourite shows as a kid, I never missed it and he was the perfect captain.

Feb 13 - 10:55 AM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

R.I.P.

I've never understood how he didn't become a bigger star because of Jaws. He always did his roles justice, and then some.

Feb 13 - 11:50 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

I liked him precisely because he never really ascended the Hollywood "star" ladder. Too many actors compromise their career by making themselves too well known. It makes it harder for people to remove what they know about the actors when they watch him/her work in a film.

Feb 13 - 01:44 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Feb 13 - 12:11 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

Feb 13 - 01:44 PM

jbrown413

joe brown

just watching all that jazz. last saw it almost 30 years ago. i remember admiring joe giddeon (roy). surprised to find after my staid life, i still do. great flick. enjoy him again!

Feb 18 - 08:30 PM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>