Jaws

79% Penny Dreadful: Season 1
84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Jaws Reviews

July 12, 2014
I found this scary as a kid, but as an adult, it looks a little clunky, despite Spielberg's exceptional film making talents.
Andrew Targaryen
August 11, 2011
Since it took place on and around the 4th of July, I will be reviewing my favorite movie of all time. Full review soon!
Christian Bale
July 3, 2014
True classical horror, Jaws brought a new era of horror to life. The movie was pure genius, not showing the full Jaws until the end, keeping the audience in suspense and wondering what will happen next and who will die next. Jaws is one of the best movies of all time and didn't deserve its bad sequels.
June 21, 2012
My all time favorite movie!
CoolCatPat7
July 1, 2014
One of the best Steven Spielberg movies, Jaws is an exiting,creepy, and sometimes funny blockbuster.
June 27, 2014
Total classic, the remastered Directors Blu Ray is awesome also. Some of the most quotable scenes are in this movie. Great acting, great direction and the fact you just see bits of the Shark during the movie makes it even better. That was an accident as they couldnt get it to work. One of my all time faves
John Tandlich
March 27, 2014
One of the greatest monster movies of all time and the one that brought director Steven Speilberg to prominence. This film is excellent for three reasons. First, The acting was superb, particularly the interplay between Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw. It doesn't hurt that they are played by three highly skilled actors and supported by a script that snaps with great dialog and, for about the last forty minutes, non-stop tension. The most notable example is the long (but not drawnout) scene in the Orca when the three discuss their fears and motivations for catching the shark.

Second, the deirection by Spielberg. Spielberg takes a lot of time for character development, but he doesn't lump it all together at the beginning of the filmScenes like Brody's son mocking Brody's expressions at the dinner table, or Quint's speech about why he hunts sharks, are crucial to understanding the motivations of characters, but Spielberg makes sure they come at times where a release of tension is needed.

Finally, the ingenious music that John Williams composed for the film, especially the two note theme that announces the impending arrival shark, which has become part of our pop culture. Other production aspects deserve mentions as well, from Bill Butler's superb cinematography to the mechanical shark itself, which, despite the well-known tales of it not working most of the time, still looks menacing.

Jaws is one of the best monster movies ever made simply because it takes time to explore the human side of its story. It is a penetrating drama, a kind of throwback to 1950's monster films. It influenced films such as Alien and Deep Blue Sea, whether in the general construction of story, the setting, or more literal takes on a monster in a closed environment. Even if this weren't the case, Jaws would still be essential viewing for anyone serious about film.
Michael H.
December 9, 2011
Practically perfect in every way.
November 12, 2007
Treinta años me llevó verla. Genial.
June 16, 2014
I always feel like something is creeping up behind me when I watch this film. Masterpiece at that.
Eric B.
August 12, 2012
Definitely a top 5 greatest movies of all time. Even watching it today its crazy and suspenseful for both first time viewers and those like me who have seen it many times. The way Jaws was made was flat out brilliant, with the robotic shark and then also using a real shark when needed was amazing. The casting for the film was great too. Roy Scheider was perfect for Chief Brody, Robert Shaw played a great and creepy Quint, and Richard Dreyfuss was a great Cooper, which all added to the film. Jaws is one of the few movies that can be considered a perfect film.
June 15, 2014
Truly the best film I've ever seen for years it still has the best movie moment
DanOMovieguy
November 15, 2013
Jaws is a frightening and brilliantly made movie. Most of the credit should go to the genius of Spielberg, who doesn't show us the mechanical shark until the very end, and editing the film as to ensure the audience is still in shock. The characters are all very well developed, and the movie is extremely compelling. It's truly a thrill ride from start to finish, and unpredictable, feeding even more into the suspense. It is well written, interesting, and just great. Maybe the first act is a bit slow moving, but it gives us important character moments, and leads us up to bigger and better things to come. The climax is frightening, and the mechanical shark almost has a presence because of how well edited this film is. Jaws gets 5/5 stars (A+).
June 13, 2014
A very thrilling and spine chilling movie. Hard to believe a few simple piano notes can make such a tragic soundtrack, to go with some haunting imagery.
Furious Film Fan
May 29, 2014
The three main characters are interesting and their conflicts help you through the movie, the suspense and build up is great, the action is exciting and the shark model itself still looks impressive. I see "Jaws" is a character drama with horror and suspense.
June 25, 2013
Nowadays, there aren't any shark movies that live up to what "Jaws" had made them out to be.
June 20, 2007
If you're shocked at how well it's held up, consider that essentially summer blockbuster has followed this template for nearly 40 years now. The cast is great, the effects have aged well and all the thrills and suspense we now expect of Spielberg are on grand display.
June 7, 2014
Labeled as the greatest "terror in the water" film of all time, Steven Spielberg's Jaws is suspense-filled entertainment that delivers superb performances by Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw.
Tristan Lane
August 26, 2012
Jaws meets and exceeds every criteria for film. Spielberg's thrilling masterpiece is undoubtedly one of the greatest films of all time.