Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

June 19, 2007
The best American Blockbuster of all time. Spielberg invented the Blockbuster here, entertaining audiences in a very traditional way, but there's a smaller scope as a character study on Roy Scheider's character. It's so detailed while maintaining a big spectacle and it will forever be hailed.
August 15, 2012
I had this idea that Jaws would be one of the coolest movies I'd ever seen. It isn't. And when I discovered that it wasn't the awesome thing I'd imagined, I struggled to figure out why. It's not flat or boring. It has spectacular scenes of suspense and flesh ripping violence that are thrilling and unpredictable (The thrills are placed just where you don't expect them). It looks spectacular with its ideal summer beach setting and bursts of explosive, bloody violence. The scenes that actually show the shark are pretty amazing. It sounds incredible with the terrifying, classic score by John Williams. It doesn't have bad characters. Chief Brody is a very likable, decently complex character (One of my favorite scenes is when he plays with his son at the dinner table). The narrative is absorbing, the dialogue is sparing and sharp, the ideas it brings up are terrifying and provocative. It looks at the political and scientific impacts of the shark attacks. It ruins Americans' favorite activity, a beach vacation, and plays on one of their worst fears, a lack of security. It doesn't just have awesome action, it also has fascinating science and adventure, when they search for the shark and cut the old one open to discover what it ate. It doesn't have a bad director. Steven Spielberg wrapped all those awesome elements into a cohesive and iconic movie. He's brilliant with his placing of clues and use of suspense. It's a really good movie in a lot of ways, but somehow the feeling I got after watching it was just "ehh".

And I think that's because of the ending. I didn't like the old fishermen, he was a little too coarse and stereotypical. He shouted sailor songs, crushed beers, told war stories and it just wasn't realistic. Part of the terror of the movie was it felt like it was Small Town, USA, like it was real and it could happen anywhere. It was a legendary beast in the most ordinary of settings attacking average Americans. The sailor isn't an average joe, like the rest of them. He's a theatrical caricature of a hard drinking, story telling sailor and it feels off. The final chase sequence is also drawn out way too long. Their journey lasts for two days, we see the shark about a million times and at a certain point you just want it to wrap up. The final scene where the Shark devours the fishermen and the Shark blows up is undeniably pretty awesome, it just took too long to get to that point. I struggle to criticize Jaws because it has a lot of brilliance and I can barely point out anything wrong besides the fact that it didn't quite live up to the magnificent thriller I'd imagined it'd be, even if it came remarkably close. I also think it's really cool to watch such a pop culture landmark like Jaws or Grease, just to travel through time and see what was cool back then.
February 11, 2016
This Steven Spielberg classic never gets old, it's comical, scary, and even touching at times!
½ February 8, 2016
Jaws thrilled people back in the day and it thrills people now, nice job Spielberg.
½ January 19, 2016
A classic sea monster movie that boasts all the things Steven Spielberg is now famous for: gripping suspense, gritty hands-on action, and a surprising human touch.
½ January 31, 2016
A stunning Spielberg tour de force back in 1975. Scheider, Dreyfuss and Shaw's classic characters are the stuff of legends, as Spielberg was just starting to roll with a massive string of blockbusters that followed.
½ January 16, 2014
Steven Spielberg impeccably makes a simple killer shark thriller have layers, with a good cast, acting and characters. Using the sharks first-person perspective for the first half to build suspense worked very well. Unfortunately, there are a lot of slow moments and boring, irrelavent dialogue scenes that have nothing to do with the story, and could easily have been cut out to avoid gaps in the script. Jaws is still a groundbreaking classic and a benchmark for both blockbusters and horrors, boasting one of the best, influential film scores of all time by John Williams.
½ January 20, 2016
Absolute classic, defined a genre.
January 19, 2016
"Great characters, amazing theme song, the effects still hold for the most part today, Jaws is one of the best movies ever put on screen!"
February 3, 2012
Every once in a while I get the urge to go back to this little gem! This is still one of Steven Spielberg's best films. If you have never seen the original Jaws...I highly recommend it. It is old, but it still creeps me out.
½ January 14, 2016
Set the stage for summer blockbusters. Jaws is a terrifying creature, even for today's technological standards. Acting is at times over the top or outright silly, but doesn't detract much from the trauma of Jaws impact on the town's summer activities. Not much is gained from this film as far of positive messages or fascinating ideas, but is an edge-of-your-seat flick that is quite entertaining.
January 9, 2016
One of the best movies ever made.
January 23, 2011
Jaws constantly keeps you wondering when the shark will strike next and who will fall victim. Brody is the lone relatable and developed character.
February 12, 2008
This is one of the very few animal disaster movies ever worth watching.
½ December 30, 2015
Steven Spielberg's Jaw's lives up to its classic status. Many films today move immediately into action, rely on jump scares, and fail to build suspense. Jaws does none of those. It is like a slow cooked piece of meet that tastes all the better because the chef took his time. Don't mistake Jaws for a scary movie. If you come looking for that a guarantee you wont find it. But a thriller? Jaws easily ranks among the best.
June 18, 2011
Good but the music sometimes it to happy to be about a killer shark, very gripping and intense a classic.
December 27, 2015
My favorite movie ever...period!!!! It builds tension and does so much with so little. A masterpiece.
August 26, 2015
Jaws is my favorite film of all time. Everything about the film is amazing, and its amazing that this film was even made because of what was going on, on set during production.
One of the reasons I love this film is the characters, Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dreyfuss, to name a few, are excellent characters. Chief Brody, played by Roy Schieder, is a great the every man in this film and he is one of my favorite characters in film because he has to deal with the safety of his family, the safety of the town, and because of an ignorant mayor, is blamed for the death toll by the shark. Richard Dreyfuss as Matt Hooper is also great (all the characters in this film are great) he is the funny character and not that he is comic relief, but him being the rich shark expert? genius, but the real humor that comes from him is his interaction with Quint. Quint is the rough and grough shark hunter, played by Robert Shaw, he is the man who has his heart set on killing this fish, at his core he is character, he is a rip off of Captain Ahab, but where his character become his own is the back story given to him and the bosey loud performance, that is the stuff of legends.
The one this that truly the best thing in this film is the score by John Williams. The theme is simple, but it sticks with you through the years and has become one of the best and one of the most recognizable themes of all time. Also the script is great, it gives so much time developing these characters, and when the story looses a little bit of weight in some moments, the weight of the characters are able to carry it so well that at that point anything could have happened and I would have been totally invested. And the best part of this film is the fact that imagination is used to keep the shark alive, barrels, imagination and barrels. And when the shark does appear, its all the more power.
I love Jaws, I love everything about it, this fill is not for the general movie audience anymore, those looking to see cool shark moments where it eats people, will be disappointed, but those who want to be invested in characters and to overcome this ordeal, then you won't be disappointed.
½ April 10, 2011
Along with George Lucas' "Star Wars" released two years later, "Jaws" helped to define modern blockbuster filming. Thanks to strong performances from the actors and Steven Spielberg's impeccable direction, "Jaws" remains a timeless classic.
August 20, 2015
Jaws is an absolutely terrifying film that still makes you think twice before going in the water