Jaws 2

Jaws 2 Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 24, 2009
One good bite deserves another!

Good Movie! It's basically like this: when the film takes place on land, it's sometimes slow-moving and not always interesting. When it's on water, it's often exciting and tense, with suspense that sometimes equals the original. It's definitely not as great a thriller as Jaws, but it is a worthy sequel and certainly is better than the likes of Deep Blue Sea, Anaconda, and Lake Placid.

The small island resort town of Amity is trying to bounce back from the financial troubles that suffered after becoming known as the site of shark attacks four years earlier. Mayor Larry Vaughn is welcoming developer Len Peterson and his new resort to Amity. Two scuba divers are exploring the area where the Orca sank after police chief Martin Brody killed a huge shark four years ago. A shark shows up and devoured the two divers, but not before one of the divers takes a close-up picture of the shark's eye, and sometime later, while a mother is driving a boat that's pulling her water-skiing teenage daughter, the shark devours the daughter and causes the mother to accidentally blow up the boat, then a killer whale is found on the shore with a huge bites on it. After Brody sees this, he knows there's another huge great white shark in Amity's waters, but Vaughn and Peterson explain these attacks away as non-shark accidents, because the thought of another shark in Amity's waters would drive tourists away from the new resort and cause the new resort to lose money. It looks like Vaughn is still a mayor who puts money ahead of people's lives. Brody tips his gun's hollow point bullets with cyanide and melted candle wax and tells his sons Michael and Sean to stay away from the beaches and told them to not go sailing with Mike's friends, who include Vaughn's son Larry Vaughn Jr. Everyone thinks Brody's fears are shark trauma-induced paranoia. Brody even tries to call his friend Matt Hooper, who is doing research on a boat in the Antarctic Circle, and Matt will be in the Antarctic Circle for a few more months. While keeping an eye on the waters from the beach's shark tower, Brody sees a huge dark spot in the water and rings the tower's alarm bell, but it turns out to be a school of bluefish. Vaughn fires Brody for causing this panic at the beach and scaring tourists and their money away, and even though they were told not to, Michael and Sean go out sailing with Junior Vaughn and their friends, unaware that the shark is trailing them. Brody knows it's up to him to find them before its too late.
Joshua W

August 8, 2012
If a sequel of a classic Spielberg needs to exist I would rather have a Jaws 2 then an E.T. 2. With that said, this is a pretty solid sequel but is the cause for more terrible films to come.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 30, 2011
Worth you time.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Compared to the original JAWS phenomenon, JAWS 2 is a huge load of crap, but even so, it's still an enjoyable popcorn flick leading into the '80s.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 12, 2007
You know what to expect. You know what it looks like and what it's capable of. So why then should you bother to watch this? Well, because altough falling short of the greatness of the first film, it's actually not too bad. The writing and directing is as mediocre as it gets, but for an unnecessarily-made sequel, it's a decent piece of entertainment. Just set your expectations really low and you won't be too disappointed.
michael e.
michael e.

June 12, 2011
ive seen worse movies but this is literally one of the most boring movies ive ever seen. The shark is one sided, the characters are annoying, forgettable, and have little to no personality, and the shark is a complete MORON. Here's an example, there are 3 boats full of kids they all fall out of the boats, and what does Jaws do? Swim away of course, but then when everybody is back on the boats he comes back and rams the boat, knowing how jaws eats only 4 people in this whole movie really say a lot how in the first he eats 7 people including one of the main characters. This Jaws is just a disgrace to the original shark. The only thing i liked in this movie was Roy schiders performance, but the rest is boring and forgettable
Jason S

December 27, 2006
I actually enjoyed this sequel a lot. It was missing the great chemistry of Brody and Hooper but Scheider manages to carry the movie just fine on his own. I enjoy the setting of this movie and the original and that adds to why I like the movie as much as I did. The story works fine.
It's a little more Hollywood than the last one but it doesn't loose the charm and suspense of the first.
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 24, 2007
Wow. It's like someone took the script of Jaws, and said "Hey. How can we re-make this movie but cheaper, with less story, less interesting deaths, really just a stripped down sucky version, but follow all the same plot lines?" What's amazing is that they were able to pull together so much of the same cast. I give it 2.5 stars just because I had fun making fun of it.
Ken S

March 24, 2007
Not terrible, just not anything close to the original. At least it still has Roy and the music of John Williams in it.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
I know it's a sequel to a classic, but for some reason I enjoyed it more than the first Jaws. It doesn't have all the same cast, either, but it's very exciting and ups the special effects. I really enjoyed it, and if you liked Jaws, you should check it out.
TheGame90
TheGame90

September 19, 2010
Not even close to the first one...but still okay. You can clearly see that Spielberg is not around anomore.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 9, 2010
After Spielberg's 1975 hit Jaws, it was obvious that they would make a sequel to his classic. What basically follows is pretty much the same film as Spielbergs except for the ending. The film has some good moments with few suspenseful moments, but this film is pure and simply a joke, it does not hold a candle to the Original, which was a classic and by far quite the Horror/Thriller. Jaws 2 seems to be going through the motions as the film makers try to hard to deliver on the spine tingling chills and thrills that delivered so well in the first. Jaws 2 ultimately becomes a bland film halfway throughout the film, and due to it's predecessor, you know by films end who's going to win. Unnecessary sequel in my opinion, the first one was too good, and it should've remained a stand alone film.
Jason O

September 10, 2009
In my opinion, all the Jaws movies are great. The great white shark that terrorized sea-goers the first time around is back again in this spectacular sequel that is humbly named "Jaws 2." Chief Brody (Roy Scheider) is also back as the main policeman of Amity Island. Brody saw Jaws up close in an earlier encounter, and he believes after he finds a dead body floating close to the shore in the ocean and a dead killer whale, that the huge great white shark named Jaws is responsible for these killings. However, Chief Brody has a hard time getting everybody else to believe that a huge shark is out there in the ocean and that it's not safe to even go sailing. After Brody gets fired from his job of four years and when his two sons go sailing, Brody knows that even if he's no longer the chief of police, that he must do something to stop this huge shark dead in its water.
"Jaws 2" is a great sequel to the original blockbuster. It has good effects with the shark, a good plot, good acting, and it's very suspenseful and exciting. I recommend anybody who liked "Jaws" or any of the other Jaws movies to get "Jaws 2," you won't be disappointed at all! NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. This and the original were the only good Jaws movies.
Anthony L

September 7, 2009
An inferior sequel but an entertaining jaunt all the same!
Jens S

June 13, 2006
While Spielberg did not return for the sequel of his monster hit, the majority of the cast did. It's particularly good to see Rob Scheider get all protective of the Amity beach again. That and the look of the scenery makes it easy to connect the film to its predecessor and create the same atmosphere, which is always a big plus of a sequel. Of course Spielberg's direction can't be topped, but at least John Williams was back on board with his classic score. The shark attacks are still as wonderfully terrifying, only the script is not quite en par with the wonderful original. That being said, as far as sequels of masterpieces go this one is pretty decent and worth checking out.
Phil H

May 6, 2009
Amazingly this sequel was just as good as the first if not more scary and thought provoking. Its the same story and same kind of outcome but with the same decent cast and some more great performances from both the shark and its victims. Just a big piece of rubber it may be, this fake fish still scares the shit outta me lol so eerie with many open sea shots and eye level surface shots its enough to make you avoid the water for life (and it still does make you wonder)

The latter half of the film where the youngsters are slowly eaten as they drift at sea is hard hitting and brilliant stuff, even the infamous sequence where 'Jaws' brings down the chopper as it lands on the surface is chilling, it looks fake yes but there's still something about that fake shark hehe

Good sequel and where the franchise should of ended.
kpn666
kpn666

March 23, 2009
Obviously not as legendary as its predecessor, but generally thought of to be one of the better sequels made to many Hollywood movies. Pretty much Speilberg didnt come back after the near disasters making the first one, and the second was no easier.

But Scheider did a rerun as Chief Brody (underrated actor of his time) and he had the burden of carrying the movie on his own... which he did alright in my opinion.

But the mystique and sheer thrill is gone... instead of teasing us with glimpses and the threat of the unseen, they instead gave us a shark with half his face burned off to give it some menace... but it didnt pay off I guess.

3 stars for being a 2nd good shark movie.
Chris G

March 8, 2008
The only reason this film works is because Roy Scheider reprises his role as Chief Brody. Nobody believes him when he thinks there's a shark trolling off the coast. Jesus, you would think the guy was a little qualified in shark detection after blowing Bruce's head off in the first one.
Lady D

August 3, 2006
Not a bad sequel, but I guess a very predictable one. I just remember these films scaring me so much as a kid and in a way I guess it made a lot of kids wary of the sea too.

VERDICT: Worth a watch, but I'm sure most have seen it anyway
Stephen M

September 21, 2007
Before he was a sucker himself for the sequel treadmill (see Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park), Spielberg had the good sense to say no to this turkey. This franchise would get worse as it went on; subtract a half-star for each subsequent movie.