Movies Like Jeremiah Johnson

April 9, 2007
closet favorite
Red L

August 29, 2013
I don't understand. The ratings for this movie say that 90% of people like it, but the movie seemed to plod along too slowly for me.
cosmo313
cosmo313

January 7, 2012
Pollack and Redford's 1972 western is some kind of wonderful masterpiece. The bare bones plot involves a veteran of the Mexican War named Jeremiah Johnson who seeks to leave civilization behind and make a new life for himself as a mountain man. He struggles at first, but soon becomes a seasoned veteran who eventually comes to find his place in the world, even if it means enduring some great hardships and tough lessons along the way.

This is definitely a film both of its time, and way ahead of it, especially with the portrayal of Native Americans being very balanced, fair, and differentiating between the many types of tribes and cultures. Dances With Wolves did this too, but this one came first...it just didn't quite get the same amount of acclaim and exposure.

I loved how there's a lack of subtitles and how much of the film in general is told visually, forcing the viewer to focus on facial expressions and body language to pick up on what's going on. This is definitely a winning case of showing instead of telling.

And it's also pretty funny too, with much of the comic relief coming from Will Geer and Stefan Gierasch, who, along with Redford and the rest of the cast all deliver some top notch work. Now that I think about it, there's really not a whole lot wrong with it. The cinematography and location shooting are excellent and things look great, the music is decent, and this is one of those films that was made at a time when you could still make them like this and not have to worry about too much tinkering and interference.

Yeah, the film does become really formless and plot free at times, but I didn't mind that a whole lot since it really is more of a character study anyway. The film might not be for all tastes, but if you tend to enjoy revisionist westerns that are made with care, respect, and authenticity, then you'll find a lot to love here. Highly recommended. Solid A (to a near A+)
Apeneck F

April 5, 2011
A remnant of the late sixties culture that spawned the viewpoints here, here is western take on Robert Frost's road less traveled. More a character study than out and out shoot-'em-up, Pollack reasons that even if a man were to draw apart from the cares of civilization sooner or later that civilization - or another - would draw him out again. No man is an island. A decent piece of work.
familiar s

January 24, 2011
I was expecting a thrilling mythological/adventurous flick, but the movie turned out to be quite the opposite of what I'd in mind after reading its synopsis. For me, it served as an exercise of testing my patience. The cast was good, but the script was uninteresting. It may be a classic for some, but as far as I'm concerned, it's an utter disappointment. Well, you can't always get what you want, can you? Hope the next one turns out to be a worthwhile experience. Until then......
Ken S

May 6, 2007
Watchable, but far from anything amazing. Redford wanders out into the middle of the wilderness and then hardship ensues. Then he pisses off some Indians, and they send their warriors one at a time to kill him because...the script says so.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 17, 2009
High on my list of the best westerns ever made!!
movieguru12
movieguru12

December 15, 2008
Great movie about a man living off the land through the winter this movie had great music as well.
Daniel P

December 14, 2008
Alternating between genuine moments and the filming equivalent of hoky John Denver songs, it's pretty easy to change the channel on this one. Maybe it's watchable without commercials. [Real rating pending.]
deano
deano

April 29, 2007
Robert Redford plays Johnson, a simple man who has no taste for cities. I see him as he grows from his first feeble attempts at survival to a hunter who has quickened his senses with wild meat and vegetation - a man who is a part of wildlife of the mountains. Gives a sense of humanness to a genre that had, up until its release, spent time reworking the same myths.
garyX
garyX

May 25, 2007
Rugged adventure in which Robert Redford turns western survivalist and gets back to nature. It's handsomely shot in beautiful locations and Redford is as watchable as always, but it's reliance on personal drama instead of cowboy vs indian shoot-outs may not be to everyone's taste.
Jeffrey M

January 28, 2012
Amazing cinematography work set againt pictureesque sceneary, a great musical score, excellent script, and strong performances (especially from Redford) make this a turly memorable western/frontier movie. It doesn't attempt to simplify or reduce the hardships of mountain life, and has a surprisingly nuanced and fair view of the relationship between indians and settlers. It also has a philosophical tone, one that is organic to the material and subtle. Gritty, realistic, and enigmatic, Jeremiah Johnson is certainly one of the best 'westerns' (using the term loosely) of the 70s.

4.5/5 Stars
Blaster1618
Blaster1618

September 11, 2010
Johnson was really a turning point where Redford turns from being a Hollywood tool to being an actor/man apart from the rest. The story follows him as a beginning mountain man to the point where he becomes a myth. Through his trials in the movie he becomes more and more one with the land. He befriends certain meso-american tribes, but becomes a trial for young men becoming braves for other tribes. As a measuring stick of his growth Will Geer plays a Older Mountain man Grizzly Claw. The meet several times in the movie many years apart. Kevin Costner really tries to reincarnate the feel of this movie when he made Dances with Wolves, however the cinematography and acting are a pale comparison.
neffielee
neffielee

April 26, 2009
I'm not a big western fan. I don't think I've ever seen one western all the way through. I actually rented this as a part of a deal.

The first part was ok, man leaves civilization to go into the mountains to live. He goes through a learning process of how to survive in the great outdoors. He unwillingly becomes part of a family, having a son and wife kind of thrusted on him by different individuals he's come across. Just when they have become a real, happy kind of family, in comes part two. Part two is brutal, yet captivating, as we watch him consistently battle Indians one-by-one and become a legend around the mountains.

Great scenery completes this picture, but I could have done without the cheesy music (was that due to it being made in the 70's or because it's a western?). Not too shabby for my first western.
Jonny C

March 19, 2009
Good movie. Not your typical western, with more emphasis put on drama, rather than Cowboys vs Indians. Redford plays a ex-cavalry soldier, who becomes a mountain man. It all goes well until he pisses off clan of Indians, who then go on hunt for his scalp. Jeremiah Johnson is beautifully shot, with some memorable moments, and Redford is fantastic in the lead role.
KevinTheMovieManiac

Interesting.
broadwaymo
broadwaymo

April 29, 2007
Based on the exploits of Liver Eater Johnston...Robert Redford is, Jeremiah Johnson. Recently purchased the DVD and enjoyed it as much today as when the movie was originally released.

Bear Claw: "But don't get me wrong; I loves the womens, I surely do. But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it. "
June 25, 2008
Actors, especially leading men, don't come more rugged or good looking than Robert Redford in his 70's prime. However, in Sydney Pollack's existential Western Jeremiah Johnson, that image got turned upside down. Redford hides his face behind a scraggly beard as a shaggy-haired mountain man in Utah. Jeremiah Johnson stands as a dazzling, contemplative tale about a loner and his quest to find something, anything, meaningful amid the unforgiving landscape. And he does it while fighting off grizzly bears and Crow Indians. Jeremiah Johnson is literal film poetry, it says few in words but a mouthful in images. Stunning, powerful, quietly epic.
lcroya
March 20, 2011
i'm not a big Redford fan but for me this is his best movie...not his best work , but his best movie..set in the early frontier days..well worth the watch