Gridiron Greats: 10 Tomatometer-Approved Football Classics

Just in time for Super Sunday, we present a parcel of pigskin flicks as rough and tumble as the Giants-Pats matchup promises to be.

Gridiron Greats

How better to spend the days leading up to the Super Bowl than letting out your favorite pair of old sweatpants, heating up a tray of nachos, cracking a beer (or six), and experiencing all the glorious highs and lows of America's favorite sport? We've got some of the usual suspects (expect a double dose of Burt Reynolds), a few surprises (once upon a time, the phrase "Nick Nolte goes long" had an entirely different meaning), and maybe even a few movies you've never seen. So sit back, relax, and enjoy our Tomatometer-sorted stroll down the cinematic gridiron!

9 (tie). The Longest Yard (1974, 79 percent)

Yes, it served as the inspiration for 2005's Adam Sandler-led remake -- not to mention countless other inferior knockoffs -- but don't hold that against 1974's The Longest Yard. A stirring sports flick as well as a stinging rebuke of the Nixon administration (what, you don't believe us? Just take a look at Eddie Albert as Warden Hazen), director Robert Aldrich's original Yard uses a number of actual, honest-to-gosh professional football players (including Joe Kapp, Pervis Atkins, and  Hall of Famer Ray Nitschke) to keep the action appropriately hard-hitting, and gives us Burt Reynolds (who we'll see again later on the countdown) at the peak of his mustachioed mid-1970s power. Ferociously violent? You bet -- but so is football, and as much room as the movie leaves for old-fashioned brawn, it boasts a surprisingly witty script by Albert S. Ruddy and Tracy Keenan Wynn.

9 (tie). Rudy (1993, 79 percent)

It reads more like science fiction than the setup for a based-on-true-events football classic, but here goes: Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger was the son of a millworker and the third of 14 children who, at 5'6" and 165 pounds, turned a walk-on tryout for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish into the greatest two-down career in the history of football. Long before he was Samwise Gangee, Sean Astin was Rudy (or "Ru-dee! Ru-dee!"), and even if you've never seen the movie, chances are you recognize the iconic shot of him being carried off the field on his teammates' shoulders (another scene based on actual events, by the way). Like its diminutive subject, Rudy didn't put up intimidating numbers at the box office, but thanks to cable and the video market, it's gone on to build a sizeable cult audience over the years.

7 (tie). Semi-Tough (1979, 80 percent)

Only in the '70s could you see a movie like Semi-Tough: Part bawdy football flick, part love triangle, and part satiric sendup of the various New Age self-help fads sweeping the nation, the movie should be far too jumbled to even be watchable, let alone the recipient of enough positive reviews to wind up on this list. But thanks to deft performances from Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson, Jill Clayburgh, and particularly Bert Convy in a thinly disguised jab at EST guru Werner Erhard, Semi-Tough succeeds as an amiable (albeit rambling, and exceedingly light) example of the sort of late '70s romantic comedy they don't make anymore -- with a dash of gridiron action thrown in.

7 (tie). Knute Rockne: All American (1940,  80 percent)

You probably can't watch it now without laughing a little, but that's mainly because all of Knute Rockne's working parts were shamelessly pilfered and used to build all subsequent sports films. The high stakes? The oft-quoted inspirational line? The sweeping, dramatic final act? You've got Robert Buckner's script and Lloyd Bacon's direction to thank for those. It's just the story of a Notre Dame football coach, for God's sake, but you can't help feeling like you're watching Jonas Salk develop the polio vaccine. Corny, but oh so effective -- just look at Ronald Reagan, who used that whole "win just one for the Gipper" thing into a cornerstone of his march to the White House. You don't wind up enshrined in the National Film Registry for nothing.

6. Friday Night Lights (2004, 82 percent)

Before it was a critically beloved (and sadly ratings-starved) NBC television series, Friday Night Lights was a well-reviewed Peter Berg film -- and before that, it was a bestselling book by H.G. Bissinger, the author who originally followed the Permian High School Panthers of Odessa, Texas, way back in 1988, on their quest for a state championship. Hollywood took some liberties with the Panthers' story, naturally, but that's to be expected -- and at its heart, the story is still just as effective at distilling the importance of high school sports in small towns, as well as the poignant dreams of the kids who play the games, and the parents, friends, and neighbors who live through them. Perhaps it glosses over some of the finer points of Bissinger's book, but it still packs some meaning -- and some wonderfully exciting fake football.

5. Jerry Maguire  (1996, 83 percent)

It's remembered today more for its catchphrases ("Show me the money," "You had me at hello," "Help me help you") than its actual content, but taken on its own merits, Jerry Maguire has a lot to offer -- including Tom Cruise at his most likable, Renee Zellweger at her most winsome, and Cuba Gooding Jr. with nary an exploding ice cream truck, team of sled dogs, or day camp in sight. Director Cameron Crowe's script about a sports agent's discovery of his own soul is certainly manipulative, and arguably takes too long in getting to its overly tidy final act -- but the sum is so much more than its parts that you can still see why Jerry Maguire was nominated for five Academy Awards.

3 (tie). Go Tigers! (2001, 85 percent)

What, you've never heard of Go Tigers!? Your loss, bub -- but here's your chance to repent of your foolish ways by getting yourself acquainted with Kenneth A. Carlson's 2001 documentary about the Massillon Tigers, an Ohio high school football team that has drawn more than 15,000 fans to each of its home games for over a hundred years. Of course, this kind of fandom only creates more pressure for the teenagers on the squad --  not to mention the school they're playing for -- and Carlson's lens catches Massillon at a particularly difficult time, during a season whose outcome seems certain to have a profound effect, one way or another, on the future of the school, the team, and the town itself.

3 (tie). North Dallas Forty  (1979, 85 percent)

The idea of Nick Nolte as an NFL wide receiver might sound perfectly ludicrous to you now, but hey, he was younger then -- and this was the same sports-film era that gave us Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine as soccer players, so you've got to take it all in context. Dramatic licenses aside, North Dallas Forty -- based on the semi-autobiographical novel by Peter Gent, who played wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys, and presumably remembered enough of his experiences to know what he was talking about -- is an effective look at the seamy underbelly of pre-free agency professional football. Nolte's struggle against his aging body -- and his team's crooked management -- is played partly for laughs, but there's a sizeable element of truth underlining the whole thing, too. Just watch a few editions of SportsCenter, and you'll learn more about life after pro football than you care to.

2. Heaven Can Wait (1978, 86 percent)

Not to be confused with 1943's Heaven Can Wait, this light Warren Beatty comedy is actually a remake of 1941's Here Comes Mr. Jordan, appropriating the earlier film's boxer-taken-before-his-time premise as the basis for the story of L.A. Rams quarterback Joe Pendleton, mistakenly shuffled off this mortal coil by an overeager angel. The solution? Drop Pendleton into the body of an aging billionaire who has just been poisoned by his wife and personal assistant. Determined to win back his starting job with the Rams, Pendleton uses his new host's money to purchase the team and...well, it all sounds pretty ludicrous already, but thanks to a great script by Beatty and Elaine May -- and a typically stout co-directorial effort from Buck Henry -- you'll probably be too busy smiling to care.

1. The Freshman (1925, 100 percent)

See? You don't need soaring orchestras to make a terrific football film. You don't need crane shots, or 400-pound linemen, or inspirational dialogue. Heck, you don't need any dialogue whatsoever -- you just need Harold Lloyd, in one of his best (and best-loved) performances. As Harold "Speedy" Lamb, the overeager nerd whose efforts to fit in on campus are roundly mocked behind his back, Lloyd helped kick off the "college movie" craze of the 1920s -- but, as The Freshman's enduring popularity attests, the film has timeless appeal. And lest you think it's just a silly silent comedy with nothing relevant to offer modern football film fans, just check out that climactic big game sequence (filmed at the Rose Bowl). How's that for influential?

Post-Game Report

All right, first things first: there are probably a handful of football films you're expecting to see here -- Remember the Titans, Invincible, The Comebacks (just kidding on that last one) -- and judging from previous lists, their absence will probably cause you to loudly question our sanity, upbringing, and taste in movies. What can we say? It's all about the Tomatometer, and the Tomatometer doesn't lie.

Also, Brian's Song appears absolutely nowhere on this list. Yes, yes, we know -- it's like the most perfect football movie ever, and the first time you ever saw your dad cry was when the two of you watched it together, it's got a 91 percent Tomatometer (which would make it number two), and we're a bunch of idiots. We get it. But the thing is, Brian's Song was a TV movie, and therefore ineligible for inclusion here. We can't break the rules, even for Brian Piccolo.

Ah, what the hell, here's Brian's trailer to send you off:

Comments

mrdanny

danny hannon

What?!!! The Replacements didn't make the top 10.... I demand a recount!!!!....

Jan 31 - 05:21 PM

The Great One

A Z

Yeah ur right...Remember the Titans deserves a spot

Jan 31 - 05:38 PM

a_sad_un-sorry_hashbrown

Shawn Hasinger

Yeah, Remember the Titans was great. I still REALLY want to see Friday Night Lights and read the book. Plus, I've been looking for a reason to tune in to the TV show.

Jan 31 - 06:06 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

BOOOOOO where the ladies (football movies) at??

The Quarterback Princess (Helen Hunt is the quartback...AND the Homecoming Queen!)
Wildcats (a lady coach, so kinda)
Little Giants (tomboys represent)
Necessary Roughness (though Kathy Ireland can't kick for ****)
Backfield in Motion (...whatever, it counts)

And BARF, Rudy. That's what I have to say about that. BARFALICIOUS.

Jan 31 - 06:14 PM

paskunia

paskunia g

And don't forget the 70s' soft-core college film HOTS, which features a climactic game of strip football between the good girls vs. the sorority queens, with game commentary by Danny (Partridge) Bonaduce. Despite being a die-hard Irish fan, I'll take it over "Rudy" any day.

Feb 1 - 09:04 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

I mean quarterback. Typo, not a mistake.

Jan 31 - 06:16 PM

NDIrishAU

Ted Magdzinski

rudy is the best..oh man.

i enjoyed any given sunday too, pacino has a great speech

Jan 31 - 07:46 PM

pjs916

Pedro Soto

....Remember the Titans didn't make the list?!?

Jan 31 - 07:51 PM

Senor_Chupacabra

Manny Furious

Friday Night Lights sucks. The only difference between FNL and Varsity Blues is that FNL was chock full of pretensions and took itself way too seriously... and everyone fell for it.

Jan 31 - 08:25 PM

Senor_Chupacabra

Manny Furious

Jan 31 - 08:26 PM

Dinobot77

Anthony Timineri

I know it can't be on this list because it isn't a full football movie, but Jim Thorpe: All American should have gotten some consideration too. Any Given Sunday and Invincible were fantastic. I wish this was a top ten list. I don't think FNL should be anywhere near getting on this list at all. There are so many more movies which are better. Hell, I would have put The Last Boyscout and The Program before FNL any day of the week! I would rank the Budwiser cleisdale hoarse commercials before FNL too.

Jan 31 - 10:55 PM

Dinobot77

Anthony Timineri

Scrach the last comment about wishing this being a top ten. I didn't realize that they had two tie for nine. Although, this could have been a top 15 or 20 easily.

Jan 31 - 10:59 PM

fresh25

Matt Olson

jerry maguire is the best hands down

Jan 31 - 11:01 PM

Brewski1759

Phil Meyer

The fact that The Program was not included on this top 10 tells me something about the accuracy of this list: that it missed the mark.

For instance, Friday Night Lights is mentioned here and not Remember the Titans - to me they are very much similar movies. Even more insane is that Jerry McGuire is considered a football movie, and it is not. It is a sports agent movie, and too many make that mistake. It would be like saying The Last Boy Scout is a football movie.

And then included is the absolutely hokey Heaven Can Wait. It's like Stroker Ace or Death Race 2000 was to racing... ineffective and fluff.

Instead of Semi-Tough, I would have chosen The Best of Times with Robin Williams and Kurt Russell, or Paper Lion with Alan Alda.

I am glad, however, that you have Rudy, The Freshman, Knute Rockne: All American, and The Longest Yard on that list. They deserve to be there. I am also glad Varsity Blues is NOT there.

Jan 31 - 11:32 PM

RT-Matchity

Matt Atchity

Hey Brewski,

We really debated whether or not to include Jerry Maguire on this list. I agree that it's mainly about a sports agent, but his only client, Rod Tidwell, is a pro football player, and a significant element of the plot of the movie involves Jerry trying to convince Rod to play hard, in spite of the risk of personal injuries that could shorten his career. Granted, a lot of football movies address the issue of how long a player can stay in the game, but Jerry Maguire handles it very well, and so we felt it should be added to the list.

Feb 1 - 09:19 AM

arkuunaves

Jeff P

I'm really disappointed to see both The Program and Any Given Sunday not on this list, I must admit. This may come as a surprise to most, but of the two I actually think Any Given Sunday deserves to be on this list more than The Program, and I think it certainly deserves to be on this list over some of the others included.

Similar to RT-Matchity's reasoning on including Jerry Maguire because it addressed an issue other movies left out, I believe that anyone who has played football before and really gave their body to the game (as I have) can identify incredibly well with the speech LT gives in one of the scenes. Not to diminish the awesome football action scenes, or to deny that there are some scenes which are simply unnecessary (e.g., doing drugs off of a prostitute's chest), but that scene more than any other sold me on the movie. Very few other movies show the very real consequences of multiple concussions and knee injuries, which are (in my opinion - no statistics to back it up) THE injuries that mark football very strongly. Other than that, I thought it was just a great movie overall - plus a good twist at the ending. =)

Any thoughts on this anyone else?

Feb 1 - 10:07 AM

Brewski1759

Phil Meyer

RT Matchity:

I understand the reasoning behind the inclusion of Jerry Maguire, I simply disagree with that reasoning. A sports agent is supposed to convince their player to play hard to raise the player's stock and therefore the player's asking price. The writers chose football when the same story could have been used in baseball, basketball, hockey, even soccer.

If you allow Jerry Maguire into consideration as a football movie, it opens the door to other movies being added. For instance, Forrest Gump has a whole section as Forrest the football player. I think you understand what I mean.

Feb 1 - 08:01 PM

bsierens37

Beau Sierens

I can't argue that football is certainly part of the formula that makes Jerry Maguire work. However, if I were tasked with coming up with a list of 'football' movies, I don't think Maguire would have even occurred to me. The way I see it, that is like saying Forrest Gump is a football movie. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Forrest Gump probably has more actual football action on screen than Maguire. I agree with others who mention The Program. While it's arguably not as entertaining as Maguire, it is certainly a better football movie.

Feb 4 - 11:43 AM

bsierens37

Beau Sierens

Feb 4 - 11:48 AM

Dinobot77

Anthony Timineri

If FNL made this list, then why should we not include this?

If only the Richard Gear joke wasn't taken out.

Feb 1 - 12:05 AM

Weicher

Alvaro San Martin

I hate to digress, but for me, alognside the Freshman, the best football flick is, by far, Robert Aldrich's "The longest yard".

Feb 1 - 03:54 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

hilarious, i don't care if Brian's Song was a snuff film, it still deserves to be on here, PERIOD. no credibility to this list. no Necessary Roughness either? gimme a break. rudy at 9? the Program? no Varsity Blues?

JYo, there are no ladies football movies. thats like saying where's the action movie about grandma's knitting.

WHERE IS DEBBIE DOES DALLAS?!?! ha...no credibility for this list!

Feb 1 - 05:34 AM

citizenjames

James Ford

I think it's hysterical that Dinobot77's spelling makes me think Grimlock actually wrote his posts.

Feb 1 - 05:35 AM

paskunia

paskunia g

Feb 1 - 09:04 AM

RT-Matchity

Matt Atchity

Hey Brewski,

Feb 1 - 09:19 AM

arkuunaves

Jeff P

Any thoughts on this anyone else?

Feb 1 - 10:07 AM

Brewski1759

Phil Meyer

RT Matchity:

Feb 1 - 08:01 PM

bsierens37

Beau Sierens

Feb 4 - 11:43 AM

bsierens37

Beau Sierens

Feb 4 - 11:48 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

gimy, I listed a few football movies above that at least had some female presence, and not just cheerleaders or girlfriends on the sidelines. But you're right - we NEED real ladies' football movies! Not like Rudy, that one sucked.

Feb 1 - 09:51 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast