—— Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Jerry Maguire Reviews

KJ P

January 13, 2010
Having Humour, Romance, Drama and Sports all wrapped up into one breathtaking film, has never been established any better than the way that "Jerry Maguire" does it. Tom Cruise plays a business working in the sports industry. Once he finds himself in a rut, not sleeping and not gaining specific revenue, he quits his job to hold on to his last money-making opportunity, as the manager Rod Tidwell (Cuba Gooding Jr.). As he falls in love, meets new people, and falls apart many times over again, this film has many happy moments, along with many sentimental moments. There are powerhouse performances given by the entire cast, and a particular performance by Tom Cruise that I shall not easily forget! "Jerry Maguire" not only has heart, conviction, and it's own "stamina," but it tells a dry story as if it were the first time it had ever been told. This is one of the greatest films of all time in my book, and will be forever. This is a true classic!
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2008
Tom Cruise was great as always in this movie where he played a sports agent for the NFL. Safe to say,Tom Cruise never seizes to amaze me!!! This movie definetly deserves 5 stars!!! I loved Renee, Bonnie and Cuba as well!!! :) <3 :) I just love it!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 24, 2007
I'm pretty late to the party, but I finally got a chance to see Cameron Crowe's Jerry Maguire recently. I've been a fan of Crowe's for a while, after having seen Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky and Elizabethtown, but I hadn't really seen his most-talked about film. I found it to be extremely engaging and effective for the most part. The dialogue is witty, the characters are colorful and well-portrayed, and the story is not the usual romantic comedy that we're all accustomed to, to say the least. The only thing that bothered me a little was that the middle of the film was a bit lackluster. There's a great first half, a slow second half and an emotionally heart-warming third half. It doesn't ruin the film for me, but it stuck out. I really enjoyed it and I'm happy to have to waited to see it. Cameron Crowe has yet to let me down.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 17, 2011
Jerry Maguire isn't a sports film, its a genius film. The plot is very interesting because in my opinion the friendship between Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr is great, and I wanted to see it progress. The cast was the best part, and Cuba Gooding was funny and cool and it made him the most likeable character in the film. This is a tremendous movie and I highly recommend it.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
'You had me at hello.' One of the best romantic films ever made.
blkbomb
blkbomb

May 16, 2011
Jerry Maguire is an absolutely terrific movie. It is fueled by two great performances from Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr. It is a movie that is very funny and very entertaining, but possibly a touch to sentimental.
familiar s

January 23, 2009
After being cussed by his client's kid, successful sports agent Jerry Maguire gets a moral wake-up call. Developing a conscience all of a sudden, he gets excited and feels encouraged to write down his thoughts. He writes a memo titled "The Things We Think And Not Say" which proved to be an axe he hit on his own foot. Though he's applauded for his memo, his boss gets pissed off because his memo speaks of getting less clients and less money. As a result, he fires him after a week. A single mother Dorothy is the only employee from the staff that decides to go with Jerry. Jerry struggles to get clients, but doesn't succeed except for maintaining a single client: Rod Tidwell. Thereafter, it's the usual: Dorothy and Jerry falling in love and how Jerry gets back in business.

IMO, Jerry Magurie is a passable drama movie. Surprisingly, I liked Tom Cruise's acting and found Cuba Gooding Jr's and Renee's performance somewhat unconvincing. If you haven't watched this as yet, I feel that while the movie won't make your day, it surely would help you kill time*.

* provided you've got nothing better to do!!!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 9, 2007
i love me some kelly preston, even when she plays a rotten person. overall this is a well executed film but just has an annoying quality to it that is hard to pinpoint. solid but not great.
Jay H

December 1, 2010
A moderately entertaining film with more to it than just comedy. The film makes a great statement about life, love, and friendship.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
A well known film by now that is often well quoted as well. After finally seeing it I have to say it's a little overrated! It's far too long and not as funny as I thought it would be given it's reputation. It has it's moments but it's far from being great.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
Eh. Big when I was a kid.
Conner R

December 2, 2009
While it is obviously sappy at times, I love this movie regardless. Tom Cruise was just way too perfect in his role for this to be considered a romantic comedy. It's got a really good story that is a lot more that it tends to get credit for. Cameron Crowe always manages to get a very realistic tone to his characters, which is quite refreshing.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
Hate this film, hate Tom Cruise, hate Cameron Crowe, hate hate hate. You had me at hate.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
Jerry Maguire: What are you doing with me, Rod?
Rod Tidwell: Why?
Jerry Maguire: I'm finished, I'm fucked. Twenty four hours ago, man, I was hot! Now... I'm a cautionary tale. You see this jacket I'm wearing, you like it? Because I don't really need it. Because I'm cloaked in failure! I lost the number one draft picked the night before the draft! Why? Let's recap: Because a hockey player's kid made me feel like a superficial jerk. I ate two slices of bad pizza, went to bed and grew a conscience!
Rod Tidwell: Well, boo-fucking-hoo

A very entertaining film that works as both a sports movie and a romantic comedy. Solid performances from the cast and a well written script by writer/director Cameron Crowe.

Tom Cruise stars as a successful sports agent who is fired from his big time company after speaking his mind in a mission statement. By being fired, Jerry loses nearly all his clients to a rival agent played by Jay Mohr, with the exception of one, Arizona Cardinals player Rod Tidwell, who believes Jerry may be able to help him secure a better contract.

Rod Tidwell: Anyone else would have left you by now, but I'm sticking with you. And if I have to ride your ass like Zorro, you're gonna show me the money.

On Jerry's last day in the office, he attempts to make a grand exit, hoping some will follow him to a new sports agency. He is almost on his own until one women, a 26 year old single mother, Dorothy, played by Renee Zellweger, steps up and joins him.

The story then becomes about two things: Jerry keeping up good relations with his only client Rod - the bromance, and Jerry keeping up a new relationship with his only employee, Dorothy - the romance.

These are the overall story elements, with interjections throughout that deal with life, success in the real world, and what it means to be happy or triumphant.

Dicky Fox: Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.

The movie is very watchable. Crowe has a way of putting the elements together in terms of dialog, character action, and soundtrack choice to make an entertaining feature. The likable cast helps, although I always got annoyed by Bonnie Hunts man-hating sister character, and all the scenes involving her woman's group.

Tom Cruise is settled in a very Tom Cruise role opposed to a role in which Tom Cruise has developed, which isn't bad. Zellweger works well. And Cuba Gooding Jr. of course shines in a way that is unfortunate for the majority of years after this film for him.

There are a number of times when the film becomes a bit schmaltzy with its romantic plot and track choices that add to it, but for the most part I very much enjoy watching this movie every time I happen to catch it.

Rod Tidwell: I feel for you, man. But a real man wouldn't shoplift the pootie from a single mom.
Jerry Maguire: I didn't shoplift the pootie.
[Rod gives him a long Look]
Jerry Maguire: All right. I shoplifted the pootie.
arashxak
arashxak

March 10, 2009
Unimpressive, uninteresting, unconvicing, uninspiring & overall disappointing except for a few moments, and I want to say something about Cruise, I'm not a hater but I wanna know if the guy actually has a single interesting & memorable performance, I'm getting tired of his supposed to be cool figure & acting style in all of his movies, Well he is not annoying like let's say Keanu Reeves but his career seems a bit hollow if you'll ask me
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

November 20, 2008
"Everybody loved him... Everybody disappeared."

Combining drama, comedy, and romance, Jerry Maguire was a critical and commercial success built on an original script by writer/director Cameron Crowe and an Oscar-nominated performance by Tom Cruise. Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise) is an agent with a major sports management firm. He's enthusiastic, successful, a great negotiator and people like him. But it begins to dawn on Jerry that there's something wrong with what he's doing, and not long after a troubling encounter with the son of an injured athlete he represents, Jerry has a serious crisis of conscience. In the midst of a sleepless night, Jerry writes a memo calling on himself and his colleagues to think more about the long-term welfare of the clients they represent and less about immediate profits. While everyone around him applauds the sentiment, Jerry's superiors think his ideas are bad for business; Jerry is fired, and, rather than standing in solidarity with him, his "friends" in the firm scramble like sharks to claim Jerry's clients. At the end of his last day, the only people willing to join Jerry as he strikes out on his own are staff accountant Dorothy (Renee Zellweger), a single mother secretly in love with him, and Rod Tidwell (Cuba Gooding Jr.), a football player whose pride and arrogance have gotten in the way of his reaching his potential.

Review
Jerry Maguire is a cautionary tale of great proportions. The film's message which says that if you stick to what's in your heart - to hell with everything else - works so great against a backdrop of fake corporate-style relationships, the worshipping of the almighty dollar, and backstabbing practices that are so prevalent in this world. Jerry with his world crumbling around him, struggles to remain focused on the importance of his passion, honesty and integrity. The cynicism does its best to break his back but he's able to persevere by just listening to his heart. A wonderful movie for all people that may have felt that sometimes when life kicks you in the teeth you just have to follow your heart.
Screeny
Screeny

November 2, 2008
I actually really enjoyed this one. It had great acting, a interesting plot, and incredible scenes. A must see!
Emile T

July 29, 2007
Could not be more heartwarming than that. Great on every level.
I really like Tom Cruise, and Cuba Gooding Jr. deserved his Oscar.

Really funny and smart film.