Ji Zhan (Unbeatable) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ji Zhan (Unbeatable) Reviews

½ June 25, 2014
And great hit from director Dante Lam, with fantastic performances from Nick Cheung and cast. Touching, hard hitting and funny, Unbeatable delivers Hollywood standards without having to stick your fingers in your throat.
½ March 22, 2014
Well done and involving even for those who are clueless about MMA; Fai: Don't get angry in a match. Or you'll forget everything.
March 21, 2014
I find the pacing of the film really ruined the experience for me. While the side stories dominated the majority of the opening, it had a big fight just past the half way mark when it felt like it was the end of the film. Instead, the movie went on, however, none of its later half lived up to the pace and excitement of the first half that could easily lose its audiences. Also, the film ended hastily despite some of the solid characters and side stories, perhaps preparing itself for a sequel, but it does feel unsatisfying and ungratifying. For a Chinese sports film, the movie definitely took advice from films like Rocky, and not a poor effort during the actual fighting scenes. Also needs to be mentioned is the awesome performance by Nick Cheung.
March 13, 2014
The hard work behind the scene is more appealing than the movie itself.
March 12, 2014
Brilliant performance from all the cast members. This is the Chinese version of "Rocky".
½ March 12, 2014
I like Eddie Peng, but the movie is a complete disaster. It's a waste of talent, could have improved the storyline a bit.
March 9, 2014
3/5 I liked it, but the fighting championship doesn't make any sense, most of the fight choreography is weak and the melodrama, while being better than most hollywood fare, is as pieced together as the fighting championship itself. That sounds all bad, but it was still good and way better than most.
January 27, 2014
I know MMA is huge in Asia right now and there has already been a few MMA films in the west, so upon first glance the movie may feel like a bit of a sell out. Undoubtedly the novelty of MMA has been used to sell this movie but Unbeatable could have been about any sport, essentially it was thoughtful, entertaining film.
Cheung's plays a similar role to the one he played in " Beast Stalker"; a guy with a successful boxing background who gets himself involved in crime, leading to a life of hardship. In the events of the movie Cheung's character becomes acquainted with his new grief stricken landlord and her daughter which give him motive to redeem himself. Yuyan's character plays the son of a, bankrupt business man who's hit rock bottom. He gets drunks every night and becomes bitter with his son. Nonetheless Cheung Tries desperately to get his father back on his feet again. Both men enter an MMA tournament to inspire their loved ones to get through their difficulties.
The underdog fighting for a noble cause, I could have predicted the plot but it was just so well executed that it wasn't really and issue. The the progression between the drama and action was great and both aspects had equally developed. I was compelled me through to the very end. I guess you don't always need and original plot to make a good movie. As expected Cheung portrayal of his character was excellent but also a notable mention for Mei Ting's portrayal of the insane bereaving mother. Man I love the over the top, screwed up physiological stuff Hong Kong action movies often have. There were also some really well done comedic and feel-good moments in the film that makes you wanna "ahhhh".
this movie doesn't get into the technical, geeky aspects of MMA and in fact gets some of the rules wrong. I would have liked the fights to be more visceral perhaps more swelling makeup. I just didn't get that sense of intense, physical pain that I remembered in movies like "Best of the best" or "Rocky." but I'm really that's just nit picking. I don't really watch many Asian films but ill definitely be watching out for this creative team in the future.
January 17, 2014
by far my favourite Dante Lam-and-Nick Cheung collaboration with gritty and vivid MMA fight scenes and an undeniably heart-warming story that doesn't shove itself down into my throat with its melodrama. an awesome HK production that doesn't take place in HK, how ironic
December 29, 2013
Brilliant multi-tiered sports action drama from Dante Lam. Not to be missed.
November 3, 2013
Despite Eddie Pang's annoying "eyebrow acting", this film belongs to Nick Cheung, who has transcended himself and given us his most impressive movie character to date. It may be dripping with cheese, but Nick Cheung makes it all worth while.
½ August 31, 2013
cheung kah fai's body is still drooll
½ August 23, 2013
Watch this latest MMA action film in theater, Hong Kong director Dante Lam has a sturdy reputation in his action-packed thrillers in recent years (THE VIRAL FACTOR 2012, THE STOOL PIGEON 2010, BEAST STALKER 2008), this time around, he opts for another kind of action, the point-blank MMA fighting, summons a pan-Chinese cast (Cheung, On and Keung are from Hong Kong, Peng, Kao and Liu are from Taiwan, Mei, Li and Wang are from mainland China while youngster Lee is from Malaysia), it also imposes a daunting challenge for two leads Nick Cheung and Eddie Peng, especially for Cheung, at the age of 47 he works extremely hard to gain a brawny figure to play the washed-out former boxing champion.

There aren't a glut of hot-blooded hand-to-hand combats (4 is the exact time), instead Lam and his screen writer team manage to consolidate the context of these two fighters' characteristic backdrop stories and furthermore justify their own causes to fight, Peng is to prove himself in front of his life-beaten and alcohol-abusing father and Cheung is to reinitiate his own potentiality and farewell to his squandered youth. Those are the perpetual themes of sport films, they are soul-inspiring and heart-touching at their best, but over-elaborated and shortchanged for its pragmatism at their worst. Other than the white-knuckle combats in the cage, which has been recorded faithfully with swift and precise camerawork to achieve the sensational verisimilitude (and very impressive pre-fighting training sequences). The entanglement between Cheung and a pair of mother-daughter (Mei, a single mother who is mentally unstable due to a past trauma and Lee, her premature daughter whose Pollyannaish nature under an impoverished situation does strike a chord to any soul with a tender spot) occupies the majority of the narrative, the function of main female characters in the male-driven genre always recedes to either a frail victim (Mei) or a redeeming touch of guilelessness (Lee), the shackles need to be innovated, yet it is a long way ahead.

UNBEATABLE is a strong contender in next year's Hong Kong Film Awards (along with Johnnie To's BLIND DETECTIVE 2013, 7/10), they represent the caliber of the technique peak and the liberation of telling a story without pampering audiences' ostensible reactions from an art form's cheap face value, which is far more self-aware and less money-seeking than most of the players in the over-bloating Chinese film market nowadays.
August 23, 2013
Director Dante Lam has successfully improved from his flaws in The Viral Factor, making this new flick into an inspiring film in an awfully artistic way that works perfectly. While the film is not full of actions from the beginning till the end, it is balanced out with two clear story lines which are connecting to each others, and to tell a same message. The great cinematography efforts in editing the memories and the reality, perfect chemistry between the casts have brought audiences a feel of emotional nostalgia.
½ August 17, 2013
It's a formulaic sports movie. So what? When it's well-executed, as this one is, you don't really care about that. Exciting MMA bouts and a good cast make this highly watchable.