Jimi Plays Monterey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jimi Plays Monterey Reviews

March 11, 2012
jimi just kills it!!!so freaking awesome
January 7, 2012
A wonderful companion piece to Monterey Pop that shows the guitar guru at his wildest and best.
March 5, 2011
This was on just now... damn, I gotta working on some stuff! Mitch Mitchell may be the most UNDER-RATED badd-asss drummer ever! OK, let's do rudiments ALL DAY 2day ;-) Cheers from Cancun!
March 1, 2011
The best live video of Jimi playing I've ever seen. Highly enjoyable.
January 30, 2011
It's ridiculous how sure he was of himself, even if the guitar burning is more stupid then cool.
May 30, 2010
an incredible performance. if that surprises you.....well then this just isnt the type of thing you should be watching.
February 5, 2010
Starts off with a brief selection of meaningless fluff... an artist doing an impressive quick & dirty portrait of Hendrix on a wall, some hippie moron talking about how "groovy" the festival is, and some throwaway background narration by pervy daughter-fucker "Papa" John Phillips. Once the concert starts, however, it's golden. Hendrix was an incredibly dynamic stageman, and Pennebaker wisely keeps the camera focused squarely on him most of the time.
November 23, 2009
½ December 8, 2008
Jimi's performance itself is stunning, and the added documentary stuff is interesting as well. The whole thing is less than an hour long, unfortunately. I saw this on blu-ray and I'm not sure why they made an HD version, since the original video is VHS-quality and the sound is a little murky as well. Still worth a look, but not worth a purchase IMO.
½ November 21, 2008
This new version of this concert, which has been put out many times in different versions, has a beautiful remaster of both site and sound. The interviews do a good job of setting up the show, and expressing the impact that it had. That being said, I miss the VHS release of this with then intro footage of the hippie painter doing a splash painting of Hendrix over the intro credits. That aside, it's amazing to watch Jimi's arrival back on the American shores.
November 12, 2008
He was one of the 7 wonders of the world. His performance of "Hey Joe" cand never be surpassed.
November 12, 2008
i love this seein him set his guitar on fire at the end was awsome and his version of wild thing was great
September 26, 2008
Knowing that he died a fortnight after this and that Brian Jones introduced him makes me sad and disappointed in the pain life puts on man.
½ August 1, 2008
I couldn't give any sort of estimate as to how many times I've listened to the soundtrack over the last 20 years, so while I'd have loved to have heard this with fresh ears, finally getting to put together familiar music with unfamiliar visuals will have to do. Stale this performance ain't, and I can't imagine it ever will be. Half a star off for a rather dull 12-minute documentary introduction .
½ June 15, 2008
the new DVD release of Jimi Hendrix's show at the Monterey Festival is full of interviews from former band members and concert organizers that shed a lot of light on the festival that personified the essence of the music and movement of the 60's before Woodstock cashed in on it, and the performance is of course iconic as well.
May 10, 2008
The beauty of Hendrix caught on film. It was this gig where he first received mass exposure on American shores. Watching Jimi is always inspirational. The whole burning your guitar as a sacrifice to the rock gods never gets old to me, yea I'm whack like that!
April 30, 2008
One word,and one word only,AWESOME ! ! Clapton,Beck,Page,Townsend,all jaws hit the floor when James Marshall Hendrix hit the stage. . .Tripping I might add ! !
½ April 30, 2008
This is the concert where Jimi sets his guitar on fire. Awesome!
½ April 7, 2008
One of the best concert films I've scene. Jimi Hendrix plays at the Monterey Pop Festival and plays one of his best concerts before Woodstock. He just gets his guitar and plays the hell out of it and keeps the crowd pumped. This a great for Hendrix lovers or people who just love music then this the film for you.
February 27, 2008
This one was great, I love when he played "like a rolling stone" and of course when he set his guitar on fire. Before this concert hardly anyone in america knew about him.