—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Jimmy Neutron - Boy Genius Reviews

John M

July 16, 2010
Good and funny movie. Lots of laughs.
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

August 24, 2010
Two days ago, I sent my fellow RT friends a list of films I wanted to review and this was one of them. This got the most requests so now I'm here reviewing it. "Jimmy Neutron" is a film that I enjoy everytime I see it. I saw twice in the theaters and was a avid watcher of the TV series that spawned from this.

Jimmy Neutron is a very intelligent 4th grader who sends a message to some extraterrestrials wanting to know more about our planet that we they know what to expect when they invade it. When the aliens learn about Earth's large supply of parents, the kidnap them and are about to use them as a sacrifice to a god named Poultra. When the kids are informed on this, Jimmy takes the children of Retroville (funny name) out into the far reaches of space to reclaim their mommies and daddies.

The film dosen't have the best when it comes to the plot. Its a kids movie financed by Nickelodeon so you shouldn't expect greatness. But Nickelodeon did acheive greatness last month with "Rango". Its a kids movie with a kiddish premise. Children looking for their parents. We've seen this at least once in our movie-watching days. But wheter you're a kid or adult, there has to be something in this film that elates you. Could it be the robotic dog, the pop soundtrack, or Jimmy's ecstatic fanboy friend, Sheen? It has to be either one of those. While the premise is silly, the film is witty, charming, and has many moments plus funny lines. The film has a good script.

The film's animation is done by O Entertainment. The ones who did "Barnyard" and those Thumbnation short films like "Bat Thumb" "Thumb Wars" and "The Blair Thumb Project". They were the ones who introduced us into the animation technique where you can put the voice actor's voice into an object (i.e. "The Annoying Orange"). But when it comes to a full-length computer animated films, they don't reach the highest standards. But I think the animation was acceptable for its time. Many studios at the time of this film's release try to recreate the success of Pixar's films. If this movie came out around today, I probably would be disgusted by the visuals.

The voice acting and characters were very funny. Jimmy is always fun, Carl is very likable, Sheen is hilarious, Cindy is funny, etc. The characters are mostly voice by voice actors from cartoons but we do get some A-listers. Patrick Stewart is pretty funny as the alien king and Martin Short as well. He was funny also. We also get cameos from the two host from "Entertainment Tonight" and that is pretty funny as well. Lastly, the soundtrack. It was mostly 90's and early 2000's pop from Aaron Carter and The Spice Girls. Catchy tunes but nothing special.

You either enjoy this or dislike it. It isn't love it or hate it. I really enjoy it because I love good animated films. Its funny, well paced, and memorable. But it just depends on how you act towards it. One of my faves. Thanks for all your requests, guys. I had fun reviewing this.

"My clothes don't match, my clothes don't match. I'm out in public and my clothes don't match!"
Matt G

January 24, 2011
As a kid, this was my life. This movie is so entertaining for kids and has a great story.

Grade: B+
michael e.
michael e.

January 3, 2011
The animation is great, the comedy was great, the acting was great, and the TV show was great
KJ P

January 13, 2010
This was a great kids film! I liked it when I was young, and it still holds up to that potential today!
thmtsang
thmtsang

November 10, 2007
Fun animation about a boy inventor who always makes live interesting.
Drew S

March 25, 2007
Nickolodeon has lost its luster completely - and Jimmy Neutron is one of its better new shows, sadly enough.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
dissapointing, should have been better
Bradley W

October 12, 2011
Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius is one of my childhood favorites, a must see for all animation lovers.
StonedMagician99
StonedMagician99

December 20, 2010
Completely over the top, funny, and with good voice acting, this is a fast and fun animation that, though definitely kiddie-oriented, manages to be entertaining to viewers of all ages.
Jackson W

January 18, 2012
For its time, the animation is actually pretty good in some ways. But overall this is just a funny, well-written kids movie. Nickelodeon going backwards and having this movie preceding the show shortly after was pretty odd as we just had to get used to the characters without having much background, but it worked out somehow.
Juan C

May 28, 2011
a fun filled hillarious movie with kids stuff and adult fun that will make you have a blast watching this, i know i did. A
Andrew F

June 14, 2006
The movie is funny and different than other animated movies. It has strong protagonists (Jimmy, Carl, Cindy, Sheen) and strong antagonists (the egg people). It is clever and is good entertainment.
Max G

April 19, 2012
ehhh... generally too kiddish for an adult watching this alone.
Maymay A

April 22, 2009
Pretty neat. A good story with a good leading character, as well as the other characters.
Lee K

April 12, 2008
for a kids flick that i had to endure more then a 1000 times when first purchased its pretty cool occasionally now and then i watch the show that airs on nick too.
Isaac
Isaac

June 9, 2007
A good movie. Not really impressing, but decent film. The TV show is better.
February 10, 2013
Following on the heels of their moderate success with the Rugrats franchise, Nickelodeon, the famous channel for all ages, continues its foray into the wide-release market with the release of the much-hyped, over-exposed Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius. Being the father of 6 and 2 year old boys, there was no way I was going to be able to avoid seeing this. Luckily, many of the family movies released are worth watching. Many...that is, most. However, some are just plain awful...and poor Jimmy fits that mold.

You know, I have a hard time relating to modern cartoons. They just don't have the magic that toons like Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Droopy, Yogi, Superfriends and others from that generation have. I dig a couple that I am convinced are geared more toward adults, but for the most part, I just don't get them. Ed, Edd and Eddy? Courage the Cowardly Dog? Cow and Chicken? Weird stuff...snooze city.

Luckily Disney, Dreamworks and Pixar can still keep 'em comin' with quality toons, but Nickelodeon cannot seem to get it. I have seen ads for Jimmy Neutron since early in the summer. They have advertised and hyped this movie for QUITE a while. Being a kids flick though, my expectations were tempered. However, I see why the build up was so big. Something needed to hype this thing. It might be the dullest kids movie I have ever seen.

Basically, the plot is that Jimmy is (gasp) a boy genius. He tinkers with stuff all the time, much of it with failed results. His latest invention is a toaster-turned-satellite he puts into space to communicate with alien life forms. That satellite is picked up by an alien race who want to rule the galaxy. They go to Earth, kidnap every adult in Jimmy's town and now it's up to the kids to rescue them with all the nifty gadgets and tools created by Jimmy. The kids fly to the alien's planet and rescue the parents.

You know what happens then? Nothing. Movie's over. Yep, that is how exciting it was. So exciting I wrapped it up in one short paragraph.

Every kid in the theater was quiet. Yes, I said QUIET. Why? Well, this movie was not holding their attention at all. I'm convinced many of them fell asleep. My 6 year-old laid down in my lap for much of the second half of the relatively short 84-minute flick.

The story is weak, the dialogue was weaker (and poorly edited) and the animation was just flat-out bad. I felt like I was watching a computerized version of the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer claymation show. The movements were not fluid at all, the faces had no expression, and the dialogue between some of the characters, particularly the father, seemed pieced together. The conversation just did not flow.

All around, it was just a bad movie. I hope Nickelodeon stops churning out this rubbish. I realize I am an adult criticizing a kid's movie, but c'mon. At least TRY to have a story. Jimmy was nothing more than a long Saturday morning cartoon, and a bad one at that. Nickelodeon needs to think long and hard about trying to make a movie out of a toon that is not established. Rugrats was a pretty established franchise that did "ok" in wide-release. Jimmy is definitely destined for the trash heap. Maybe he should use some of his genius and consult the Nickelodeon execs next time they want to do another toon movie.
December 27, 2009
A spectacle. Hollywood just doesn't make kid's movies like these anymore. With hilarious one-liners, fun action sequences, and a surprising level of emotion and warmth, Jimmy Neutron is an entertaining marvel. I love this movie!
PeteyPablo10
June 23, 2012
I remember watching this when it first came out and I really like it then so I decided to re-watch it to see if it had the same effect on me, which it did. Jimmy Neutron was one of my favorite cartoons back in the day I thought and still do think that this movie was really well made and thoroughly enjoyable. The characters and animations and cool to look at and they sort of pop out at you. The story was interesting and the overall presentation of the film was great. It also wasn't too long as to where I would get bored and the plot moved around rather quickly which I liked. Really cool animated film.