92% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

82% Satisfaction: Season 1
85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
41% Working the Engels: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Jingi naki tatakai: Dairi senso (Battles Without Honor and Humanity: Proxy War) Reviews

GS
GS

December 4, 2011
Liked the comparison of proxy wars between USA and USSR to that of Yakuza gangs by the narrator at the beginning. I thought the pointless violence might be turned down a notch in favor of a smart script focusing on inner politics of the Yakuza, which happened to some degree but not enough to make this a smart film. I loved the fact that Shozo and Yomomori played larger parts in this film than they did in "Deadly Fight in Hiroshima". Shozo's character by this film, the 3rd in the series, had grown considerably complex, which just added to the joy of watching the series and his life unfolding as a Yakuza. Uchida was a great character to add along with what his presence added to the story. Yomomori is one of the funniest and lamest crime bosses I have seen: he weeps when Matsunaga tries to defy him and says "Can't you see how I feel!"-just hilarious. Another nice touch was the camaraderie between Matsunaga and Hirono. The interaction between all the underbosses was great too. Nice ending as well here. The problem was that it was confusing at times and was more of a set up for Police Tactics.
October 28, 2011
The 3rd in the Battles Without Honor movie series find our protagonist Shozo Hirono in Hiroshima during 1960 (with the story having moved on from 1945 in the first movie) and he's done very well for himself - he is now head of his own little yakuza clan and friends with 3 more bosses of small clans. However it doesn't take long for suspicion and betrayal to rear it's ugly head when Hirono's previous boss Yamamori comes back on the scene after the head of Hiroshima's biggest yakuza family is bumped off and Yamamori takes over. Naturally his resentment of Hirono comes to the fore and he would be more than happy for somebody to take him out. Alliances are formed and broken as the streets of Hiroshima explode into all out wars with Hirono in the middle of it all.

Another very enjoyable entry and probably an improvement on the first movie (I will watch the 2nd movie in the series when I get a chance). The plot of this movie is very much like a chess game - bosses trying to make other bosses into making a mistake so they can take over Hiroshima's biggest clan. Trying to keep out of the situation at first but inevitably being forced to take sides is Hirono in the hope of deposing his hated enemy Yamamori. Bunta Sugawara is fantastic once more as the bad ass Hirono. You've got to feel sorry for his character. People he calls friends betrays him time after time. Director Kinji Fukasaku keeps us interested in the storyline with plenty of backstabbing, suspense and heavy violence. Fukasaku's vision of yakuza life is there's no such thing as loyalty - you can be friends with a rival clan one minute and the next you're plotting their downfall. The movie chugs along at a nice energetic pace so you're never bored watching it. The only problem with watching this movie is you want to know what happens next - nothing is resolved in the plot so I guess I'll have to watch the final 2 installments to find out the conclusion to the whole saga.
February 1, 2011
Honor, Violence, Loyalty and Betrayal. The world Yakuza is just too entertaining to ignore.
December 20, 2009
Just as sweet and just as fun and just for everyone. Recommend for "The Godfather" fans.
June 9, 2009
Shit hits the fan again. Who will rule Hiroshima?