20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Jingle All the Way Reviews

Phil H

January 6, 2014
A film all about buying your child's love? hmmm. Well its not all as bad as it sounds, the film does manage to turn that on its head by the end, just about, close call though.

Yep so Arnie is a bad dad who only thinks about his work and misses his whiny kids karate class awards ceremony stuff. So to make it up to his little brat he offers him the choice of anything he wants for Xmas, bad idea. The little darling wants a Turbo-Man action figure which is massively popular with kids. So Arnie must now find this toy which would have been easy if he hadn't forgotten about it and was left with only Xmas Eve to find one.

So the hectic day begins as Arnie strives to find a Turbo-Man figure. The plot is simply but pretty effective methinks, right away you know there is gonna be lots of mayhem and madness as parents scramble to get hold of this elusive toy. Even without seeing a trailer you can tell there is potential for some classic Chevy Chase-esque holiday hijinx. The fact its the Austrian oak adds to the fun because you can take advantage of his size by making him Hulk out in amusing places.

I like the toy design in this film, they really managed to capture the type of toy and its universe perfectly. A kind of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers scenario with a 'Buzz Lightyear' looking hero. His adversaries were very much a visual blend of the MMPR's bad guys with that Japanese flavour and a hint of Marvel with Turbo-Man's arch-nemesis. The TV show we see in the film is a typical MMPR approach, virtually a parody of it, or homage.

Apart from the loony pratfalls and childish visuals the film works because people can relate to it. I'm sure many parents know the horror of Xmas shopping for their kids and trying to get a hold of a particular toy. Hell even if you don't have kids you can relate to the nightmare of Xmas shopping and trying to get a hold of anything specific. So its fun to see Arnie as a regular everyday man trying to achieve something which would seem relatively simple. We can all sit back and watch someone else go through the hell we all know too well, much like travel ('Planes Trains and Automobiles').

I think the best scene in the film for me is the warehouse full of seedy Santa's and mischievous little helpers which are led by an unsavoury Santa in the form of Jim Belushi. The whole underground Santa's grotto idea is really good and quite funny when you think about it. Belushi really really fits this role like a glove and the fight that ensues is brilliant, only for seeing Arnie beat up a bunch of Santa's. The whole idea of a bad, grouchy, sleazy, disreputable Santa that is mean or rude to kids is just funny, the fact there is an entire organisation of them churning out duff toys is hilarious.

This is definitely one of Arnie's better comedies for me as it has a nice slightly dark side for adults as well as the soft marshmallowy side for kids. Adults have Sinbad vs Arnie, Sinbad threatening to blow up things because he's a disgruntled postal worker, seedy Santa's, a brilliantly slimy Hartman and the whole angry parents trying to kill each other at the shops thing. The kids of course have the actual toys in the film, silly pratfalls, Xmas and a nice mushy happy ending where Arnie proves himself to be a great dad after all.

In the end its very enjoyable and Arnie proves he can still do comedy films almost as well as action...after his previous attempt with 'Junior'. The film holds up well today too, the Xmas setting will always work at the right time, effects towards the end are a bit crappy, bit too silly, but in general its quite a good holiday romp. The very final scene with the two happy parents leads to a neat and amusing little twist.
Edward B

December 26, 2010
Some movies are review proof. Jingle All the Way is one such movie. Of course it's bad. The effects are horrid and the story is so completely ludicrous that you can't help but shake your head and laugh. And laugh you shall!
I'm an avid Arnold fan, and Jingle All the Way is my annual Christmas movie. Every year, my brother and my cousins sit around the TV with some nice warm hot chocolate and laugh our asses off as we watch Arnold pummels his way through a pack of evil Santas, a reindeer, Sinbad, and a parade to ultimately make his son happy.
There is a certain charm to this movie. It may be in the sheer nonsensical slapstick humour, or in the way that it pokes fun at how people confuse mass consumerism with Christmas spirit, but there is an evident good nature to the jokes. I doubt the filmmakers wanted to do anything more than entertain and get people in the mood for Christmas. No movie does this better for me than Arnold's holiday family "classic," Jingle All the Way! It fails spectacularly as a satire and a legitimate feel good Holiday movie, but I don't think I would like it so much if it wasn't as bad as it is.
On a serious note, this was one of the last films to feature Phil Hartman, and his performance here as a sleezy divorcée is a true testament to his comic genius!
Nicki M

December 7, 2007
Stupid, but one of those movies you invariably end up watching on tv over Xmas.
As Xmas movies go, this one is not too bad, even for an adult to watch. I think most can relate to shopping for family gifts at a hectic time of year, though obviously this one is highly exaggerated as Arnie goes looking for a Turbo Man doll for his son. Has left it to the last minute, and now the doll is sold out.
Next follows series of crazy (predictable) events, plus crazy postal worker (the originality). It's not too awful. Colours are bright and colorful and it is festive, so some cheese excusable.
Joshua W

February 10, 2012
Last christmas I watched this only to hear the greatest schwarzenegger line ever, 'PUT THAT COOKIE DOWN! NOW!!' classic. but this film makes you think if arnold thinks people thinks he's funny or if he knows it's just because he says things funny. honestly, if u just read the script, without arnolds voice, it's just a bad dad suffering from a bad parenting mistake. it's no kindergarden cop. sinbad's in it... remember when he was a thing?
Sophie B

December 26, 2011
An enjoyable but silly Christmas film. Fun for the kids but too cheesy and unfunny for adults.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 26, 2011
Myron Larabee: How about these stupid letters from kids to Santa at the North Pole: "Dear Santa, Can you send me a bike and a slinky?" No! Your father's been laid off!

"Two Dads, One Present, No Prisoners."

I'm not going to lie, I've always found some enjoyment from this movie. Ever since I was a little kid, I have watched this ever single Christmas and I still haven't grown to hate it yet. It isn't a good movie by any standards, even by holiday movie standards. The kid is really annoying, what with his whining about TurboMan and his dad missing his karate class and the whole Arnold Schwarzenegger as the father thing is a bit of a stretch. Still when it comes to family Christmas films, you could do a lot worse.

A father promises his son a TurboMan action figure for Christmas. The problem with that promise is that he hasn't gotten it yet and now it's Christmas Eve and this toy is the hottest thing on the market. Now he has to run around department stores, chase after leads and battle another father for a TurboMan.

What I've always liked about the movie is how it uses the classic need to get your kids exactly what they want for Christmas. The father is forced to go to great extents in order to try to get his kid a pretty useless toy  that he will probably play with three times before throwing into a huge pile of other toys he just had to have. It also proves that every guy will always wait until the last minute to get presents. That's just a fact.
Louis R

December 11, 2011
Appalling. Intensely cringy, predictable, saccharine and worst of all without any so-bad-it's-good value. It actually drains you of christmas spirit. Avoid it.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 3, 2011
Jingle All the Way is one of the worst holiday comedies ever conceived. The film is a horrible mess from start to finish, and doesn't do anything to truly make it a memorable Holiday viewing. Where to begin with this one? The cast? The script? The directing? All of it is terrible. As a holiday comedy, Jingle All the Way isn't a successful comedy. The film is quite awful, and one thing that makes this film so bad is the cast. Schwarzenegger is totally out of place, and he proves yet again that comedies aren't his genre. Director Brian Levant shows how he can't direct an effective, and delivers another crap fest. Jingle All the Way is a film that needs to be avoided. The cast is terrible, and the paper thin script doesn't deliver anything. Jingle All the Way is yet another awful holiday film, and should be seen as a how not to make a holiday film. The film had very poor directing from awful director Brian Levant, who never seems to deliver an entertaining film. His work is sloppy, washed out and he really is one of cinema's worst directors. With Jingle All the Way, he delivers an awful, boring, clichéd film that is plainly a film not worth seeing. If you're looking for a great holiday comedy film, pass up on Jingle All the Way. This is a pointless comedy not worth watching.
Albert K

September 7, 2011
TURBO MANNNNNN!
TheGame90
TheGame90

December 21, 2007
It's fun because he has problems
Alexander D

June 24, 2011
Come on, now. The reviews for this movie totally screw it up. It's a good family holiday movie, and it's funny, even though Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't usually humorous.
Lucas M

June 21, 2011
Good try to be a classic christmas movie. Is a pity that flaw.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 2, 2011
Sinbad was the only funny thing
michael e.
michael e.

December 4, 2010
a hilarious comedy with great jokes from all the characters, the inside jokes, references, and the acting is spot on even for Schwarzenegger.
gor41
gor41

August 17, 2010
Early Arnie
Conner R

April 21, 2010
In many ways this is the ultimate Christmas movie. It really sums up the entire holiday, parents desperately trying to win the love of their children by buying them things that they don't need. It also happens to be one of the craziest and action oriented Holiday movies ever assembled. Arnold Schwarzenegger is just about the greatest dad in film, going to every length possible in order to please his sith lord son. Sinbad also made a great deranged mail man. A lot of people automatically knock this movie because it is offbeat and flat out weird, but I think if you really watch it with the right lens, it is a great movie.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 25, 2007
Horrible Christmas movie.
KJ P

January 27, 2010
It's ridiculous! However it has a good Christmas spirit, and should be enjoyed by everyone!
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 21, 2007
Arnie is a busy dad who has to get a toy for his son's Christmas present but he leaves it to the last minute. He tries everything including stealing his neighbour's son's toy. But Arnie saves the day as the super action hero dad.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 8, 2009
Say whatever you want but Arnie had talent to play in Comedy Movies. I liked this one.