Jiro Dreams of Sushi Reviews

½ October 3, 2015
Jiro Dreams of Sushi is, of course, about more than Jiro and sushi. It is about work, dedication, mastery, family, and (changing) Japan. There is much one can get out of this simple little film. However, as others have stated, the material feels stretched out (more appropriate for a one-hour special). Jiro tells of many things but does not really tell a story. That said, I would recommend it to the hard workers out there that could use a bit of inspiration and a sense that dedication does pay off.
September 24, 2015
Jiro is a sad sad man, who fails to give affirmation to his sons, BUT he is a master at what he does. The cinematography and the story make Jiro Dreams of Sushi an excellent documentary that is certainly worth a watch. It's almost as well made as Jiro's sushi!
August 30, 2015
Whoa! Sugoi! There's a unique vibe about this film that is remarkably likeable. I fell in love with the food, its history, and the people around it. A well prepared and served documentary. Kampai!
August 27, 2015
Dreams of perfection..
February 6, 2012
I feel like this is gonna be another Tampopo. Which means, make sure you're fully fed and surrounded by good food before you pop the DVD in.
June 15, 2015
Wonderful documentary about the world's greatest sushi chef. From his interesting life, to the making of the sushi itself, to the picking of fish in the market, Jiro's story is fascinating.

Sadly just watching this documentary makes you crave sushi
November 15, 2012
Diving into the art of Jiro's perfect craft, you're left mesmerized with every flick of a fish. You walk away with a deeper respect for the cuisine, and a greater understanding of the Japanese culture. Be warned: you're left starving at the end of the film and it seems the only way you can be satiated is with a $350 sushi meal prepared by the 90 year old Japanese National Treasure.
June 4, 2015
What a perfect movie. Beautiful and inspiring.
½ May 30, 2015
It made me hungry for sushi.
½ May 30, 2015
His passion for sushi inspires you to love the job you do.
February 14, 2012
Great movie about hard work, dedication, passion, family, and proving Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule.
May 22, 2015
A life of dedication to excellence, driven by passion. Simultaneously heart breaking and inspiring. Absolutely beautiful.
April 17, 2015
This movie shows a man who is genuinely devoted to his craft. I value it because it depicts a man's sincere attempt to perfect himself even though perfection may never be possible. He becomes the "sushi" that he makes. People may not agree with his way of life but I don't believe he is entering a popularity contest. At $300 per meal, he welcomes only those who appreciate him. I also admire the fact that he is not trying to sell only to the rich and famous. Anyone who is willing to pay his price can eat there. It is a good documentary that highlights an artist at work.
April 16, 2015
"Jiro dreams of sushi" is so insightful and deeply moving that I couldn't help the tears forming when I realized that this man is living the life I have dreamed of since I was a little girl. The passion, drive and the sheer exuberance he and his sons, apprentices and colleagues share for food is simply exhilarating; I can't wait to become a Chef and share my food journey with others in the future.
I highly recommend this film, and please do take note of all his little quotes about careers, etc. Whether or not you want to be in the food business later on in life, what he has to say is as important to you as it is to future chefs. Don't just watch and dream of sushi yourselves, put into action your passion in life and to quote Jiro himself: "immerse yourself in your craft."
April 12, 2015
thoughtful and moves along like a piece of classical music
½ April 8, 2015
All the hype around this documentary when you are a vegetarian didn't convince me at first to watch this documentary. Recently, when a friend visited Japan and brought back a selfie at this restaurant took my intrigue to another level. Watching Jiro perform making a sushi is like watching a symphony. There is great amount of grace, poise and eliteness to the man. If I have to be a non vegetarian for a day, then I think it would be at Jiro's because I fell in love with the food just by looking at it in a far off country on a 13 inch Macbook.
April 5, 2015
One of the best documentaries I've seen with amazing music/selection, excellent camera work, and a well organized production.

A very inspiring documentary and highly recommended to watch.
½ March 21, 2015
Jiro took my heart, made sushi with it and fed it back to me.
March 15, 2015
This is a beautiful film, not just about my favorite food, but also about a man and his tireless devotion to the craft.
March 11, 2015
amazing. I could easily classify this movie as one of one of my top 10s. So visually appealing and a well told story line.