Movies Like Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life is Calling

100% New Girl: Season 4
83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life is Calling Reviews

January 13, 2012
It isn't the best directed film, but the film excels most when Pryor is allowed to illustrate very painful, true elements from his life (he maintains this film isn't autobiographical, but since he's pretty much the only black comedian raised in a brothel with several wives, a drug issue, and an accident that set him on fire while freebasing, it is clear that is not entirely accurate). Whether it be the burning accident that almost took his life (which frames most of this story), his destructive behavior in each of his many marriages, his conversion from a Bill Cosby type act to a dark and profane but brilliant social commentator, the film touches on these elements in a way that brings them to life and Pryor's comedic virtuosity is constantly evident. The film falls flat when it is pulled away from Richard, especially during the nightclub scenes, and the severely 80's soundtrack from Herbie Hancock is pretty camp at this point. It is a very flawed film with some secondary performances that are wildly forgettable and an "Its a Wonderful Life" type theme that has mixed results (sometimes its hilarious, sometimes heavy handed), but it still is a treat and a real insight for fans of the comedian.
SonnyLighstrome
January 4, 2008
The somewhat true/somewhat made up audiobiography movie about the late, GREAT Richard Pryor. Parts of this movie are at various turns: Funny, painful, insightful, and obvious BS. So...I give this the rating it deserves...a mixed one for a mixed movie. Still, worth a watch until the Bio Pic happens.
dharp3r
August 2, 2007
Although this movie could've been better, i think it's also underrated. A lot of critics didn't like it but it's not as bad as they make it out to be. Lots of funny scenes in this movie.
February 15, 2014
I've seen this movie many, many times and it never fails to move me. The complex life of Richard Pryor is shown in all its glory. I know he insisted this movie isn't an autobiography. While dramatized and not completely accurate, the plot walked with a man who entertained so many while dealing with personal demons. This film explained where he got his street vernacular and swagger. Many critics pass over this film as painful to watch. I find that interesting because I love to watch it.

While not perfect, I think it makes important statements about pain, fame, and addiction. I miss Richard Pryor. His legacy is still felt in so much of our popular culture now.

I just bought this movie on Amazon and I can't wait to watch it another 10 times.
November 8, 2010
this was one of my favorite movies ive ever seen richard pryor was a hero of mine so although it didnt get good reviews i loved it GOD BLESS YOU RICHARD YOUR THE GREATEST
Gordon Franklin Terry Sr
January 19, 2010
tell professional FILM CRITICS they are total JIVE-TURKEYS.

JO JO DANCER is a 100% film; a true autobiographical film about Richard Pryor .

Professional Film Critics "suck" and they don't know anything about what makes a good film.

not every film has to be BEN HUR or CITIZEN KANE or THE GODFATHER or THE BICYCLE THIEF to be a good film.

screw those jive-turkey no good "so called" professional film critics.

any film can be a 100% without having to be NEW YORKER-friendly.

film critics ruin film-making totally
tanfgirl
February 23, 2004
[b]
[color=red]JoJo, the film version of Richard Pryor's autobiography does exactly what it is supposed to do-tells the less than stellar portion of his life in honest-to-goodness truth and without pulling any punches. [/color]

[color=#ff0000]True, many film stars attempt to forget where they came from and what they may have lived through prior to making it big and wouldn't dare share it with the world. This movie tells it like it is, and is done in such a way that it's intended audience can relate to it. [/color]

[color=#ff0000]I become indignent when so-called sophisticated people call themselves reviewing movies that were never written with them in mind. I'd be willing to bet that some of them have skeletons in their closets, but through the art of pretense, act as though they were born and raised entirely in wealthy surroundings. [/color]

[color=#ff0000]True, it's no "My Fair Lady". but then again, it's not supposed to be.[/color]

[/b]