Jobs

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Jobs Reviews

Spencer S

March 12, 2013
This is quite possibly the most pretentious, and yet most likely truthful, depiction of Steve Jobs. There's definitely a rushed quality to the entire production, since this film came out shortly after Jobs' death, but it still feels like a legitimate bio-pic. Still, its lack of vision shows in its lame performances. The beginning of the film shows a mellow, advantageous Jobs, who doesn't wear shoes and is offered rainbow colored tabs of acid in a country field where he watches the stars. He's a sullen genius who won't get a college degree and yet hangs around Reed College, learning calligraphy and philosophy, which of course makes him a hipster's dream date. As the story speeds along, this sweet faced portrayal morphs, and we meet the contentious Jobs: the obsessive man who used everyone who loved him in order to climb the ladder and become the huge prick he would eventually become. He doesn't give any respect to Apple's founding members, he doesn't acknowledge his daughter, and he acts like everyone around him are idiots. To the movie's credit, that is not the afterglow portrayal of the wunderkind Steve Jobs that everyone was expecting. Though there is that negative view, he is also shown as a genius, smarter than everyone around him, including his own staff. He is also shown to be smarter than his entire board, who only seem to want to make money rather than follow their delusional founder down the rabbit hole. The beginning, which should have been the end, is a flash forward to the Jobs we know now. In the end, we still haven't gotten to that point, and so we end with this ham-fisted version of Jobs, who only seems to care about himself even after a film that tries to show he changed. Though I give applause for the way things were handled, the film was still structured poorly, and everything about this production was pure ham.
Adriel L

February 20, 2014
At some levels, it works and would have worked, but it fails in the certain cliches that befall too many contemporary, commercialized films. To read the book is better.
Everett J

November 5, 2013
***1/2

I've never really been an Apple user, but I've often been fascinated by Steve Jobs. The things he has helped create and revolutionize in today's world, cannot be understated. I honestly believe he was our times Thomas Edison in a lot of ways. But, I don't know a lot about him, just that he started Apple, Pixar and created things like the IPod, IPad, and IPhone. This is a portrait of him from starting apple, to about the time they came out with the IPod. I gotta say, it's pretty interesting and I was very into it. Now, there are a lot of holes in the story, and it doesn't show a lot of stuff about him I'd like to have seen(more of his personal life, relationship with Bill Gates, his death). But, it shows enough to be a pretty solid movie. My biggest concern was Ashton Kutcher as Jobs, and I have to say, he nailed it. Never once was I like "Oh it's that goofy Kutcher crap". He took it serious and did a terrific job, probably his best performance to date. The rest of the cast was very solid as well. If you have no interest in technology or Steve Jobs, then you should probably just skip it. Otherwise, it's a good glimpse at a very important figure in our modern world.
Jose Z

October 20, 2013
We can say the movie is good. But it has a big problem, it doesn't give the enough amount of time to the different moments in Steve Jobs life. Also I think the Ashton Kutcher wasn't the best option to be Steve Jobs. He isn't fisically alikeand he isn't that great of an actor to perform a character as complex and interesting like Jobs. In conclusion, Jobs is a barely decent homage to Steve Jobs that could be a lot better.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

October 3, 2013
Some see what's possible, others change what's possible.

Good Film! Ashton Kutcher has come a long way from portraying the stupid kid in That 70's show to portraying one of the geniuses of our generation. He is eerily similar to the original Steve Jobs and full marks to him for taking on the nuances, the body language and the talking style of the Apple founder. The jaw line was perfect and as a young Jobs he was flawless. The music is good and you get to hear some famous Bob Dylan songs in the movie, as Steve was a big Dylan fan all this life. Go without too many expectations and I bet you will be enjoying this biopic without asking yourself too many questions.

The story of Steve Jobs' ascension from college dropout into one of the most revered creative entrepreneurs of the 20th century.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 21, 2013
three stars
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 19, 2013
Average biopic of Steve Jobs, I went into this one expecting something pretty bad, but I was pleasantly surprised at what Ashton Kutcher was able to pull off. Usually he's made some pretty bland movies, but in the role of Steve Jobs, he showcases a different style of acting that is quite interesting and that you would not normally expect from him. The film takes a look at the founding of Apple Computers and Job' subsequent rise as one of the most powerful chairmen in the industry. The film has its imperfection of course, but it's not as bad as what the critics say. At times, the film is a bit slow, but that is to be expected. The film was better than expected, but it could also have been better as well. The film had the potential of being great, but it only ends up being an average to good movie. The film has drawn similarities to the Social Network and that's understandable, but both subjects that this film and that film have in common is that there interesting to watch and quite entertaining as well. Jobs is not a great movie, but it's not bad either. The film is watchable and is underrated in my opinion. The film doesn't deserve the flack it has received and it has one of the better performances by Ashton Kutcher. I really enjoyed the movie despite its flaws, just go into this one expecting an average movie and you won't be disappointed. Steve Job was an icon of the computer industry, and it was only a matter of time till his life story was to be adapted to the screen. This is a good attempt, but I do not believe that it's the definitive film on Steve Jobs' life. If you hated the film, then check out documentaries on his life or read his biography. In terms of biopics, I've worst, but this one was surprisingly not as bad as what the critics have said about it.
Dann M

April 3, 2014
A fascinating biopic about one of the most influential men of our time, Jobs is the story of Apple Computers founder Steve Jobs. The story follows his early days in college and the creation of Apple, along with his struggle to build and maintain control of his company. It's a compelling tale about the corrupting influence of ambition and the price of genius. Ashton Kutcher gives an especially good performance, and is backed up by a strong supporting cast. Jobs is an uncompromising look into a figure that changed how we look at technology.
George F

September 30, 2013
To say that Jobs feels like a made for TV movie is honestly an insult to Pirates of Silicon Valley, an ACTUAL made for TV movie about the life of Steve Jobs that was much better. This new version is overly sappy and seems to focus on all the wrong parts of what seems to be an incredibly interesting life. The highest praise I can give for JOBS, it serves as a very valid advertisement to go out and read Steve Jobs biography, which now I really want to : )
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

January 28, 2014
This is pretty ironic, because Ashton Kutcher is well-known for playing bums who seriously need to get jobs, and now, he is, in fact, playing Jobs. ...Oh hush, like your expectations of respect for this film are high enough for you to really care that I just made a lame pun, because chances are that you don't even respect Steve Jobs that much, or at least you won't after watching this film. Steve, my man, I'm sorry that you're gone, as you made a lot of nifty nick-nacks, and I'm sure giving you a lot of credit for making nerds look cool, but wow, you were a bit of a jerk, so I guess Ashton Kutcher really is perfect to play you, as much as it pains me to admit it. Yes, people, I know how much Kutcher looks like a young Steve Jobs, but I don't find that reason enough to get Ashton Kutcher, of all people, to play in a film with this much artistic potential. Okay, fine, I do find some potential in Kutcher, but, I'm sorry, it's just too hard to look at him in the '70s and not think of dumb ol' Kelso from "That '70s Show", and it's even harder to look at him as a filthy-rich software genius and not think of "Two and a Half Men". Well, hold on, people, let's not go off and start making jokes about how they should have titled this "Schmidt" or something, because just looking at the level of creativity that went into naming Kutcher's Walden Schmidt character on "Two and a Half Men", alone, makes it hard to believe that the character is nearly as creative as Steve Jobs, and Jobs apparently just stole everyone's ideas. Seriously, people, Jobs wasn't entirely bad, being at least interesting enough to make for a decent film, if you can get past the fact that this biopic has almost as many flaws as Jobs did.

The subject matter covered in this film is certainly worthy and intriguing, but it's also a little familiar, even if you're somehow not all that familiar with the story of Steve Jobs, and screenwriter Matt Whiteley's trope-heavy interpretation of this story concept is just about as familiar as the subject matter itself, although that's not to say that this effort doesn't stand to associate you more with the characters and their sides of the story. Rushing is a problem in a lot of ways, particularly when it sees expository depth thinned down through limitations in immediate background information and even gradual characterization that make it hard, or rather, harder to get invested. Yeah, many supporting roles aren't especially compelling, and when it comes to Steve Jobs as a lead character, well, he's pretty unlikable, as this film has the sleaze of Jobs as both a corrupt businessman and overambitious, hard-hearted person emphasized too much, and no matter how charismatic Ashton Kutcher is, Jobs is too flawed to be all that compelling, as surely as storytelling is too tight for you to squeeze in enough investment to stand a chance of compensating for the compellingness which is shaken by problematic characterization. Rushing not only limits exposition, like I said, but kind of wears you down, leaving the film to border on monotonous as it breezes over its subject matter, establishing a certain blandness which goes exacerbated by, of all things, slow spells. The meandering moments found in Whiteley's script are near-aimless in their leaving storytelling to wander along material with an awkwardness that is made all the worse when dragging is broken by the aforementioned all-out hurrying, which thrusts unevenness along pacing that is about as disconcerting as the focal inconsistencies, which result from slam-bangs through Jobs' story that, as the plot thickens and gains more layers, make the narrative kind of hard to keep up with. Focus is so incoherent that, before too long, it starts to feel as though it dissipates, leaving the final product to meander along a familiar and uneven path, with a problematic character helm, until finally falling, not just short of potential, but deep into underwhelmingness. The film is not as compelling as it could have been, but neither is it as messy as it could have been, being more-or-less forgettable, sure, but well-done enough to engage, even visually, at least to a certain degree.

Well, perhaps Russell Carpenter's cinematography is sometimes near-amateur in its overstylization, but the arguably overt bite to lighting is sometimes stunning, and consistently lovely, as surely as the musical style impresses by its own right, for although the soundtrack is neither a unique nor an outstanding showcase of classic tunes from Steve Jobs' golden years, but it still offers plenty of enjoyable tunes. The soundtrack also helps in capturing tonal dynamics, or at least helps in establishing entertainment value, and for this, credit is due to director Joshua Michael Stern's usage of style, as well as other elements of storytelling. Stern can do only so much to comfortably handle a questionably structured narrative, and his directorial storytelling sometimes makes matters worse with its own issues, yet the subtle plays entertain and the occasional effective play on weightier aspects compel, though not without the help of the performers. To tell you the truth that you might have expected, the supporting performers do a more solid job of selling their characters' depths than the dramatically underdeveloped Ashton Kutcher does in his portrayal of a character who needs to be sold in order for you to get past the overwhelming flaws, but that's not to say that Kutcher is shabby, as he has a certain charisma, broken by some fair, if not pretty heavy dramatic layers. Kutcher is by no means as revelatory as one might have hoped, but he's still better than others might have feared, and his serviceable lead performance does a good bit in helping bring some engagement value to a flawed lead, and it helps that he's carrying subject matter which is intriguing through all of the grime over its depths. Again, conceptual intrigue goes watered down by conventional and uneven interpretations within an overblown script by Matt Whiteley that sometims actually underexplores the full depths of its subject matter, yet this meditation upon the humanly dramatic and intellectual business elements of Steve Jobs' story is still worthy enough, as well as, by decent, if improvable writing, direction and acting, sold enough to, at the very least, fascinate. I'm sure a much more fascinating interpretation of this story will come along, and when it does, I can't say that this film will be all that worth remembering, because as it stands, it's hardly anything special, no matter how much it wants to be, and yet, it's not as considerable of a misfire as it could have been, having enough juice and entertainment value to adequately engage, regardless of lost potential.

Overall, a formulaic, underdeveloped and unevenly paced and focused interpretation of a story that is really undercut by a rather unlikable lead is enough to drive the film quite decidedly short of its potential, but the decent cinematography, soundtrack, acting and directorial telling of a genuinely intriguing, if underexplored story concept are enough to make Joshua Michael Stern's "Jobs" an adequate, if somewhat sloppy tribute to the creative genius and human flaws of the late, gr-... well, late Steve Jobs (Again, he sure was a joke, but he makes for a decent film).

2.5/5 - Fair
PantaOz
PantaOz

November 26, 2013
This biographical drama based on the life of Steve Jobs, from 1974 while a student at Reed College to the introduction of the iPod in 2001 is directed by Joshua Michael Stern, and written by Matt Whiteley. Jobs also has two cinematographers: Russell Carpenter for scenes shot in the United States and Aseem Bajaj for scenes shot in India. Steve Jobs is portrayed by Ashton Kutcher, with Josh Gad as Apple Computer's (now Apple Inc.) co-founder Steve Wozniak.

Screenwriter Matt Whiteley began work on the screenplay around the time Steve Jobs took medical leave from Apple to battle pancreatic cancer. Director Joshua Michael Stern stated in an interview that all material for the screenplay was collected via research and interviews - an expert team of researchers combed through all public records and interviews that had anything to do with Steve Jobs. Mark, the screenwriter and the research team, also took it upon themselves to interview quite a large pool of people who either worked at Apple or worked with Steve to make sure that he was portrayed as accurate a portrait. That is ok... but the first you'll notice about this movie is how blunt it is in describing one colourful character with a vision! The guy had a life which was interesting, that is a fact... What's frustrating about this approach is that so much of Jobs' life story-not to mention the story of the literally world-changing devices he helped to invent-really was fascinating - starting at Reed, where he dropped out and audited classes for free after six months, or at Atari, where he got his first job designing games and immediately gained a reputation as an anti-social, unshowered smartass. He was adopted by the Jobs family after being given up as an infant by his single mother (though his parents later remarried), and that left a deep trace. His maladjustment to ordinary life, could be blamed to many factors but this was one of them.

This movie was a missed opportunity to present a colourful individual with rainbow colours - and at the end we finished with couple colours only in over 2 hours of uninspired story. The dramatic core of Jobs is almost non-existing because most of the time seems like a one-man show of a movie. The only real connection and dramatic elements were present when long-term working partners Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, the engineer who almost singlehandedly built the motherboard for the original Apple prototype, had their share on the screen together. As played delightfully by Josh Gad, Woz is a squat, real nerd and tech geek with a passionate love for his work... and a real friend.

If you are interested in cold presentation full with biopic clichés, inspirational slogans, and advertising taglines - check it out.
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

September 8, 2013
A software malfunction more than a system shutdown, Jobs plays out more like a middling TV Movie-of-the-Week than groundbreaking cinematic experience. Like a filmstrip, the tonally colorless flick puts moviegoers through the paces of presenting the warts-'n'-all life of a modern-day Edison, but the presentation ends up to be as humdrum as a sea of cubicles. The Social Network at least took a stand and presented a true character study on its subject. The 'real events' presented in Jobs, on the other hand, jive like the fast-movingly engrossing equivalent of running Facebook on a Commodore 64.

In this PG-13-rated bio-pic, director Joshua Michael Stern and screenwriter Matt Whitely chart Steve Jobs' (Kutcher) ascension from college dropout into one of the most revered creative entrepreneurs of the 20th century.

Ashton Kutcher looks like Steve Jobs and does a decent job delivering lines like "I didn't lose it...it was stolen from me," but it's an approximation of a real person--not a spot-on heartfelt performance. Likewise, all involved present the Man's story with sluggish pacing, ho-hum storytelling, and stock turns not unlike a Made-for-TV flick that first broadcast around the time that the Myth and the Legend himself was developing the Mac. On the plus side, a 1984 version of this Mac does make an appearance. On the minus side, it gives one of the movie's most riveting performances.

Bottom line: Syntax Error.
SC007
SC007

August 30, 2013
The film really surprised me. Given the feedback that I heard about it, I wasn't expecting much. However, after seeing the film,I was pleasantly surprised by the film. I thought it's really good. The film has the best opening scene, of Jobs at a meeting introducing the iPod. I didn't recognize Kutcher at all in that scene. I thought I was really looking a video footage from when it really happened. They did an amazing make up job on him. The film reminded me of movies like A Beautiful Mind, The Social Network, and Flash of Genius.

The film does have a few flaws, like not dealing with Jobs's personal life. Also given that I heard that the real life people in the film, have complained that the film isn't accurate, also makes me wonder, about what I saw in the film.

Kutcher impressed me, starting from the opening scene. When it goes to college and we see Kutcher without the make up, I thought I was looking at Kutcher not jobs. However, from when he works at Atari till the end of the film, I thought Kutcher was amazing. Josh Gad is also great in the film. Dermot Mulroney, Matthew Modine, Ron Eldard, and J.K. Simmons provide solid supporting work here.

Despite the flaws, I definitely recommend this film.
hawkledge
hawkledge

August 28, 2013
Easy enough picture drawing a few traits, just can't quite find the soul.
April 16, 2014
I'm not a fan of Apple, never have been, probably never will be as long as there is something better out there, like there pretty much always has been. Having grown up during the early Apple days, the old machines brought back a lot of memories, even though I was a Commodore man. The nostalgia alone made this interesting and entertaining enough for me. The cast was impressive and I thought Ashton did a fine job, but Josh Gad as Woz was the standout for me. It was absolutely adequate, and definitely worth my two hours, but I would have preferred less giant jumps in time.
Vincent T

April 6, 2014
No one is going to be renting this for 2.99. It was a mess. The beginning feels rushed, and the middle feels drawn out. It makes Steve Jobs look like a terrible person to close to his death, completely leaves out his major competitors, and has bizarre nothing to do with anything sequences like him spinning around in a grassy field for 5 minutes. Kutcher looks exactly like him though.
April 4, 2014
Jobs is an interesting film, but it's got a lot of flaws, and I'd say it's good at best, but just like the first stage of good. Some parts are historically inaccurate and some of the periods Jobs worked on after being fired from Apple in 1985 were left out, like NeXT and Pixar.
Jobs, as you can see, is the biopic of Apples cofounder and computer visionary Steve Jobs, starting from the building of the Apple I in a garage in 1976 until the unveiling of the iPod in 2001. It's interesting, but also makes you question if that's the way it really happened.
Like I said, Jobs is to me, an at least good film, but there's a few problems. I just couldn't get used to Kutcher as Jobs, it didn't work right for me and it felt a bit unreal. He looks like him, sure, but there were parts that I felt Kutcher either overacted or underacted. What I do like is how they didn't overexaggerate on how Jobs was the perfect role model, they showed parts where he could be an ass to some people. Most biopics never have the guts to do that, like their figure never did wrong. But Jobs felt awkward at points, but it was interesting to watch.