Joe the King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joe the King Reviews

½ June 6, 2010
What a depressing movie!? That poor kid! It really makes you wonder just how many kids are suffering that way on a daily basis. It also makes you appreciate what you've got.
January 7, 2014
In the end, Whaley opts to take the sentimental route, providing easy, crowd-pleasing answers to the serious questions he raises.
December 4, 2010
Odd that the "TOP CRITICS' hated this movie, but others, including the RT Community have a positive opinion about it. I also liked the film
½ December 3, 2009
Very believably done, the cast is very convincing and well acted by everyone, although Val Kilmer seems a little out of place. The overall feeling of the film is a bit depressing. A lot of the characters are unpleasant, but director Frank Whaley carefully gave them a human side as well. His direction it what makes the film work.
July 15, 2009
An above average drama. The performances were very well done but the problems with this film does lie in the fact that the director does mess up some scenes. He makes you feel the oppisite from what you are meant to feel from the scenes written in the script. But the acting do keep this film fresh and interesting.
½ January 10, 2009
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I recall it being rather weak. Noah Fleiss is a very attractive young man, but his performance here is lifeless and one-note. As is the story, for that matter. Scene after scene gets set up with real potential, and then nothing interesting happens. It's not a horrible movie, there's just not much to distinguish it from the rest of the independent coming-of-age genre.
December 16, 2008
okay. i haven't seen this movie in a few years so i can only remember some parts of it. that being said this isn't going to be best review that i can give it.

i thought, as an eight year old child, what a weird and dark movie. it shows a kid smoking, a teacher giving the same kid a spanking, curse words, a mother yelling at her son, etc.
that's a lot for an eight year old , i must say, to absorb and take in and fully come to grasp with the point and plot.

but when i look back at it now, 6 years later, 6 years wiser, i've come to the conclusion that i would think that it was a pretty powerful movie, if i watched it today.
½ November 12, 2008
SUCK. This is one of the most unrealistic, stupidest, emptiest plots I have ever had to sit through. I mean, grown men don't discuss their one-night stands with 14-year-olds. Teachers don't harass you for money. On top of that, the actors were pretty bad. the mother's accent wavered and the cinematography was okay.

Don't watch this. Save yourself.
June 7, 2007
Very good movie that is all about the characters. Val Kilmer stands out as a drunk and abusive father.
½ December 26, 2004
August 11, 2004
Joe the King (1999) - An very well done film about a resilient 14 year-old kid named Joey (played by Noah Fleiss) who is living in a terrible home situation. Joey gets in enough trouble to finally land him in juvenile detention, but the heart of the movie was how he did his best to deal with the pain and suffering within his family.

This was actor Frank Whaley?s directorial debut and I?ve read that he made a few mistakes in making this movie. I couldn?t tell. All I know is that whatever he did, he had me from the start. Val Kilmer and Ethan Hawke also appear in the film as part of Joey?s ?extended? family.
½ August 11, 2015
Well acted and riveting story, but very disappointing and "unfinished" sort of ending. Hard to believe they left it where they did.
November 19, 2014
True to life feel of a 14 yr old boy having to grow up with a dad that's an alcoholic and a mom that's not around. Val Kilmer as the dad and Ethan Hawke plays a teacher.
½ October 7, 2014
No one is born to be bad. What can you expect when Val Kilmer knows nothing but abusing his family?
January 7, 2014
May 22, 2013
Why do I relate to these films so well .. Most people would rate this as shit .. I see through the harsh realities these youth face on a daily basis and see the beauty and charm that comes from any human being trying to live in any environment ..
July 10, 2012
Just watched this movie on ShowTime, very very good movie, after seeing it I want to get it