John Cleese's Wine for the Confused Reviews

Blaster1618
½ September 11, 2010
This is really a good movie for people who have started dabbling in wine, but are unsure of what they need to know about wine. He does an elemental break down of the largest produced grapes and the fermentation methods and the handling and storage of the finished product. All this detracts from the enjoyment of the piece. What is more interesting is when he visits vineyards and discusses the effects the environment and people have on grape production. My favorite part was when John Cleese played both himself and a snobby sommelier someone who job it its to recommend wine to you. I wish the show was more of this than a documentary. Brendan Fraiser makes an brief appearance at a wine tasting party where Cleese challenges the guest to find the expensive bottle of wine with the labels covered. After 30 years of drinking wines from all over the world I have only one conclusion, I hate wine snobs. Cleese take a similar opinion but is not so direct in saying it. Talking about wine is disinteresting to me there is no empirical formula for a wine deal. You either like a wine or not no level of education is going to change your basic pallet. At best your going to be able to understand the qualities you like in a wine and develop a vocabulary that allows you to pick good candidates form the thousand s of bottles of wine that are available. If this show interest you and you wish you had taken notes check out the web Look for a ?Wine wheel? or ?Wine tasting wheel?, It covers a wide spectrum of the taste and aromas typically used in describing wine.
Blaster1618