Johnny Be Good - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

movieguru12
March 22, 2008
Wacky, Wild, and a HILLARIOUS made movie!!! (:
September 6, 2010
It's movies like this that give 80s teen flicks a bad reputation. The actors are good, but the dialogue and story are stupid and pointless. I hated this movie.
January 23, 2011
It's a slightly more sexed up and extreme version of the John Hughes formula, but in a good way. Anthony Michael Hall plays a great jock after being stereotyped as a shy nerd in most roles. RDJ also throws in a knockout as his kooky best friend. I liked the story because it had a real life feel to it and there were real consequences to everyone's actions. When it does get over the top, it's absolutely hilarious and a purely 80s experience.
June 19, 2010
I always like Anthony Michael Hall in the 80's and this being one of hes lead role in playing not a nerd(like in the breakfast club or weird science) its pretty different for him at the time.And one of hes last movies till he disappeared until hes come back years later in the tv series The Dead Zone.The movie itself is ok and typical of the times there are some funny moments but not enough and Hall is ok but not really that fun to watch.Its Robert Downey Jr in a early role who stands out and the late and great Paul Gleason knocks a few laughs. And there's a very early role from Uma Thurman who lets just say that her acting gets better through the years.
deano
November 1, 2006
Fine coming-of-age comedy of the biggest college football.
June 10, 2011
2-3 Great actors in their youth plus Paul Gleason.

This pretty much sums it up:
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
"The people who made this movie should be ashamed of themselves."

I couldn't have said it any better Roger.
October 23, 2009
Cheesy 80s movie, one of the last for Anthony Michael Hall as a high school football player choosing a college. Of course the whole sappy teen story of do the right thing. Paul Gleason as always a nice addition. The person who really stood out was Robert Downey Jr. Funny and showing why he is a great actor. Uma Thurman in her first role but not sure why she went anywhere. She is a horrible actress.
iLeo
December 25, 2007
Great!
½ June 23, 2013
My God! Every single scene in this piece of absolute shit is some of stupidest, humorless, most unrealistic crap ever put on a screen. This movie stars people who either had a successful career prior, or would start one later in life. Either way this movie will definitely, or at least should, haunt them to the grave and beyond.
½ June 19, 2013
It Had Something to Say and Never Said It

This movie is so old that it's "introducing" Uma Thurman. The fact that I say this about a movie from my own lifetime--I was, in fact, in fifth grade at the time--is a little disheartening to me. In fact, technically, this movie meets one of my definitions of a classic. Oh, it basically doesn't meet any of the others, despite the cast, but it is old enough. I find that a little alarming as well, to be honest. To me, a classic film must be at least twenty-five years old. This means, among other things, that [i]Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade[/i] becomes a classic next year, which I really wish I hadn't looked up. However, it takes more than age to make a classic. It also requires things like a compelling story, fine acting, a quality score, and artistic filming. You can be missing one of those, though age is necessary. However, you still need at least a few of the others, and this doesn't have them.

Johnny Walker (Anthony Michael Hall) is the star quarterback of I-Don't-Remember High. (I watched this like three days ago.) Every college with a football program is trying to recruit him. He's a basically decent guy with a best friend, Leo (Robert Downey, Jr.), and a girlfriend, Georgia (Thurman). However, a lot of those offers are awfully tempting. Technically, they aren't supposed to give recruits payment. They're supposed to be amateurs. On the other hand, what the NCAA (later appearing in a cameo by Robert Downey, Sr.!) doesn't know won't hurt anyone, right? So Johnny tours several schools, though at least part of that is that he doesn't know when he'll next get the chance to see more of the country than his hometown. Georgia wants him to just go to State and get a real education as well as playing football . . . and, of course, it won't hurt that he'll be at the same school as she is. However, it gets awfully hard to resist some of those offered incentives.

While I don't think Johnny and Georgia should get married, and I hope she at least plans to wait until after graduation, I do approve of her determination that he should get an education. It's awfully easy for an athlete to coast through college as an athlete and not have to worry about academics, and Johnny gets a quick view of what that can mean when he sees someone (Tim Rossovich) who thought he'd have Johnny's life but got injured and couldn't even pay for college. It's too easy to coast and then end up, well, as a gas station attendant. And the guy still believes that Ol' Tex has taken care of him by getting him that job. Johnny needs something to fall back on, and while he doesn't necessarily realize it just then, a school that's not offering him much may just be the best thing for him. Even leaving aside the shady nature of the offers he's getting, he needs a school that will make him actually work for his grades and give him a diploma worth anything.

It's funny, really, to watch the interaction between Anthony Michael Hall and Robert Downey, Jr., in this, though not in the way that the movie intends. While watching Leo, I found myself wondering exactly which drugs he was on at the time and whether the character was supposed to have been as drugged as the actor. This is no more funny than the supposedly wacky things Leo says. However, it would only be a few years before Robert Downey, Jr., would be a sex symbol, and Anthony Michael Hall has never been one. I mean, when you see him, what do you see him as--Farmer Ted or Brian? (Or, I guess, Gary Wallace, but I've never seen [i]Weird Science[/i].) Apparently, he turned down Cameron in [i]Ferris Bueller[/i] to play this role instead, presumably for the chance to break out of the geeky role. It didn't work. Even when he's bulked up, there's just something goofy-looking about him. He doesn't work in this part, and it's hard to forget certain more recent Downey roles.

Most of what bothers me is what we don't see. Okay, Johnny manages to resist the tempting offers all around him. Including Lawanda Wade (Lucianne Buchanan). He meets Jim McMahon, a football player so famous that even I recognized him. And he resists. Well done, Johnny. He recognizes that the offers he's getting all have drawbacks and risks. And, yes, some of those risks are more personal than others--as attractive as Lawanda might be, there's something unsettling about her determination to sleep with one member of the team for each graduating class. It's never explored, because she isn't a character. She's a hurdle for Johnny to overcome. Leo's problems with his family are there for a joke, as are Georgia's with hers. Coach Wayne Hisler (Paul Gleason) is sleazy, and that's pretty much it. None of these characters get more than one dimension, and without that, the plot is just a series of events that are intended to be funny and aren't. There are a lot of '80s teen movies that I would elevate to classic status, but not this one.
½ February 25, 2012
Great Movie love everyone that was cast in it and the GREATEST QB EVER does a cameo JIM McMAHON it the best for what lil screen time he gets
January 10, 2012
Heath Ledger's Joker looks like he watched Robert Downey Jr. in this movie for his inspiration. This is a pretty funny movie if your into the 80's style comedy.
½ January 21, 2012
Fairly lame movie. Interesting to see the three main characters so young, including Antony Michael Hall more than scrawny.
½ December 3, 2011
Antony Michael Hall was one of the best-loved movie geeks of the 1980's, and "Johnny Be Good" was obviously his first bid at shedding that image. It was successful at that, but not much else. It wasn't a change for the better.
This is a limp, lifeless comedy that was bad enough in it's "PG-13" theatrical version, but it's even worse in the "R" rated cut that was released to home video. There aren't any laughs to be found here, and the movie might have worked better as a straight film about college football recruiting practices. There are a lot of missed opportunities here, but the picture is just fine with being a mediocre comedy spotted with crude humor and sex jokes that just don't fit in. It's obvious that the film was re-edited from a "PG-13", and there just doesn't seem to be any point to it. We would have to wait a few years to see a good movie about this subject matter, and it was "Blue Chips" with Nick Nolte.
Hall makes an attempt to leave his nerd roles behind, and he is good in the early scenes. But as his character becomes corrupted by the recruiters, he becomes unwatachable. As does the film. In the casting department, Robert Downey Jr. is fun is his role mostly because in his early career he perfected this quirky, oddball type of character. He has some good moments here, and in her first starring role, Uma Thurman is simply radiant. She isn't given a lot to do with her stock role as "the girlfriend", but she looks amazing. There is some potential in "Johnny Be Good", but it's content with the lowest common denominator. It's a waste.
November 12, 2011
This movie shouldn't have a 0%. It deserves a 30. Its at least tolerably funny particularly because of Robert Downey Jr. 0 is Jack and Jill territory (where movies are so bad they can't be laughed at).
November 9, 2011
How in the world does this film rank a zero. Robert downey junior, anthony michael hall, ms thurman. Its a great little football movie. i am beginning to think all people are dead inside, and have no understanding or empthy or souls. This is a classic 80s movie, what is wrong with all you people out there, how do you not like this movie. For shame, there are some people you just can not reach, and its all you people out there.
½ October 20, 2009
This movie had some of the best lines ever!
Twenty years on and I still think of this movie when someone mentions aparagus. I saw this movie at the theater when it came out and everyone in the audience was laughing. It may not be an Oscar-worthy movie, but it did what it was supposed to and kept us entertained.
½ June 21, 2009
What did the stars of such movies as Iron Man and Pulp Fiction do before they reached the height of their fame? Why, they played second fiddle to Anthony Michael Hall as he made a desperate attempt to escape the nerdalicious typecasting that had plagued him since he played in other eighties hits.

The plot of this movie is half-hearted, as is the acting of its cast. Hall practically sleepwalks through the entire movie as he plays an arrogant but talented football prospect who gets chased by every college recruiter imaginable - and gets himself into sticky situations that any schmuck with half a brain should have been smart enough to walk away from. He's upstaged by Robert Downey Jr., whose antics showcase his goofy talent. Uma Thurman actually looks somewhat attractive in this movie, as her eyes haven't yet moved so far apart that you'd need a learjet to travel between them - but either her acting isn't convincing, or perhaps her part in this hacked script isn't well-written.

In short, this is a forgettable and shallow 80s flick that is notable only for the appearance of its cast, although not for their performances. Skip it, unless your love of that magical decade somehow reels you in and you are unspeakably bored.
½ May 4, 2009
This was a movie that was a complete mess. A laugh here and there, but that was the best that this could offer. Does anyone remember the horrible remake song by Judas Priest to tie into this movie. Nothing really likable about this movie as it seemed as if everyone was trying way too hard to make this work and it didn't.