Johnny Dangerously Reviews

February 15, 2013
So funny and entertaining, I really enjoyed it, even if some parts were a little too ridiculous. Most of the time this is a very cool movie. It is a spoof of 30s-40s gangster and film noir movies. If you like those movies, check this out.
garyX
May 20, 2007
This pastiche of old school gangster films has a couple of funny moments, but spread over 90 minutes it soon wears out it's welcome.
November 28, 2006
The Indian mobster was hilarious!
deano
½ November 1, 2006
Not bad of wild spoof 1930's gangster film.
March 16, 2014
A fun and entertaining spoof of the gangster genre, Johnny Dangerously pulls no punches. The story follows a kid named Johnny who joins a New York crime syndicate and rises to the top, but when his brother becomes a D.A. Johnny is forced to choose between his crime family and his blood family. Starring Michael Keaton, Peter Boyle, Joe Piscopo, Marilu Henner, and Danny DeVito, the film has a strong cast and they deliver some good performances. The slapstick and sight gags are also pretty well-done, though not all of the comedy works. The plot's a little weak too, but as far as parody films go Johnny Dangerously is one of the better one of the '80s.
toejambaseball24
½ June 13, 2009
A little-known 80's comedy that me and my family find quite funny...lots of quoteable lines here.
January 20, 2012
There are no big knee slapping hard laughs to be found here but I thought it was somewhat fun, lightly humorous, and quirky. Michael Keaton is the movieā(TM)s strongest asset as he portrays a character of a reluctant 1930s mobster with a kinder heart than most of his gangster peers. Joe Piscopo and Peter Boyle are nice castings but the would have benefited the movie if they had bigger parts. The largest drawback to this movie is that it never really gets going and putters along with the same level of mild humor the whole way through. After a while it does loses its luster and settles for mediocrity. It was a decent idea for a comedy movie and the cast seemed right for the job, but it was missing a few things.
January 18, 2012
This movie is like the Airplane of Gangster movies, with goofy gags, a title song by 'Weird Al" Yankovic, starring Michael Keaton and Joe Piscopo...all set during the roaring twenties. I like having Peter Boyle in any movie as well. Keaton is great, and the Education Film about testicles is hilarious. I think it is definitely funny and is certainly a solid way to spend 90 minutes.
½ July 31, 2011
This is my favorite Michael Keaton film,its a "Keaton Classic" as I like to call it. You'll Laugh and have a good time with this movie.
½ August 8, 2011
not a very impressive comedy. most of the jokes fell pretty flat, either because they were way too awkward or just outright not funny. the stuff that actually was funny was way overused, so by the end, it wasn't funny anymore. the acting was average, the characters were pretty bland, and the whole thing basically felt like a Mel Brooks movie gone horribly wrong. it's pretty sad when the highlight of your comedy is the Weird Al song in the opening credits.
October 21, 2008
One of the first comedies I fell in love with back in the 80's! However, I age myself saying so. Now my own kids love this! "Ya shouldn't hang me on a door, Johnny, my mother hung me on a door once... Once!"
May 29, 2008
This is just as funny as I remember it. Not for you if you don't like spoofy, ridiculous comedy (think Airplane!)
½ April 2, 2008
One of my favorite movies as a kid. I loved the accents, the set design, and just about everything else this movie offered!
February 8, 2008
This is a fun movie to watch. I think Michael Keaton was the best pick to be Johnny Dangerously. He has that cocky way about him and the way he looks at the camera and says hey kids, perfect!
I first saw this movie years ago when I was too young to know it was a spoof on gangster movies. Imagine my surprise when I saw The Godfather years later and realized mobsters weren't as goofy as Joe Piscopo in this one.
The movie starts out like a lot of mobster movies with Johnny Kelly as a young boy trying to do right by his family but he is drawn into the gangster life when he sees it's the way to get his mom her pancreas back.
I really liked Marilu Henner in this but it was Maureen Stapleton that steals the show.
You gotta see this movie if you haven't already! C'mon you fargin icehole!
July 9, 2007
I really enjoyed this movie but there is a requirement to be a fan of slap-stick before you watch it.
June 4, 2007
A classic 80s flick... I loved the humor and the characters. There were plenty of memorable oneliners as well.
May 28, 2007
This movei, like The Naked Gun, has so many funny moments and visuals in one scene I could see it over and over and find something new each time.
April 25, 2007
The mama of spoofs on Gangster movies. There is a joke it seems every minute of the movie, and a good handful of well known stars. Johnny is a gangster, his brother turns out to be a DA out for Johnny... the hilarity ensures when Johnny tries to hide his gangster side from his brother.
March 23, 2007
Fargin' Bastages!!!!! This is very, very funny! "you know your last name is an adverb" - Watch it!
½ May 13, 2006
classic silly lines
My Mother Slapped me once...ONCE.
oh my favoite part the health film johnny shows his brother( your testicles and you)