Johnny English Reborn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Johnny English Reborn Reviews

½ August 8, 2013
Britain's beloved spy is back in Oliver Parker's new spy adventure 'Johnny English Reborn'. Needless to say, the film spoofs the spy action thriller genre (the first titles that pop in mind are those James Bond flicks) and does an excellent job in doing so. And of course, Atkinson is playing the lead so one can expect at least some laugh out loud moments (and there are many of them). The script is funny and the amusing action sequences are remarkably shot. The title role was obviously written for Rowan Atkinson and he performs all guns blazing, tickling you to the bone. Very few can pull off slapstick as well as he does. He is accompanied by two smoking hot beauties, Gillian Anderson (who does a very impressive fake British accent as she stresses and stretches each word) and Rosamund Pike (as a professional behavioral therapist who inadvertently happens to know hypnotherapy). Dominic West does a good evil villain.
With a solid balance of story, dialogue, action and humor, 'Johnny English Reborn' is a terrific sequel. One doesn't have to have watched the first film to fully enjoy this one. I was enjoying it so much that I found myself wanting more when it finished. 3 1/2 stars 7-19-13
October 17, 2011
A little intelligence goes a long way.

Saw it again! Good movie! I had a nice time seeing it. Rowan Atkinson's performance was, of course, brilliant. All the other actors also acted great, and I have nothing against this funny, great comedy. Don't watch this film expecting serious stuff. It does what it has to do by making you laugh, and it does that well. Its story might be 'meh' for a lot of people, but it's much better than the story of the first one. Also, the humour is gold and people should like this because of that.

Rowan Atkinson returns to the role of the accidental secret agent who doesn't know fear or danger in the comedy spy-thriller Johnny English Reborn. In his latest adventure, the most unlikely intelligence officer in Her Majesty's Secret Service must stop a group of international assassins before they eliminate a world leader and cause global chaos. In the years since MI-7's top spy vanished off the grid, he has been honing his unique skills in a remote region of Asia. But when his agency superiors learn of an attempt against the Chinese premier's life, they must hunt down the highly unorthodox agent. Now that the world needs him once again, Johnny English is back in action. With one shot at redemption, he must employ the latest in hi-tech gadgets to unravel a web of conspiracy that runs throughout the KGB, CIA and even MI-7. With mere days until a heads of state conference, one man must use every trick in his playbook to protect us all. For Johnny English, disaster may be an option, but failure never is.
½ January 4, 2013
Let's see if I'm following this all correctly - Johnny English Reborn is a sequel to a spy spoof wherein the antithesis of James Bond makes fun of everything Bond (much as the later Roger Moore films did unintentionally...).

There are some chuckles to be had here and I guess the film should get marks for never taking itself too seriously; but even the chuckles come from worn sight gags and a sense for the absurd that never gives the screenplay any hope of being anything but an elongated skit.

The film starts well enough as we hear that some spy who came in from the cold wants to give some very important info to MI7, but insists on only talking to Johnny English who was fired from the spy corp for bungling some mission or other. We then see Johnny in China, doing a laughable Kung Fu sequence as he learns the deep mystic ways. OK, so he's in the orient... and then he's called back into service so he returns to England so he can.... Wait for it... meet with the aforementioned spy in ..... yep, China. Yikes. Way to rack up those frequent flier miles!

It's this kind of lazy writing that truly derails the film; but if you just take this all at face value and say - yeah, ok, make me laugh a little - then the film will work on some remote, juvenile, don't think too hard, level.

Of course this is meant as a farce, but usually in even a farce there is a hidden level of either dark comedy or a poking at the mores and values of the time - I suppose that in the broad sense the mere spoofing of the beloved spy genre could be construed as such, but really, that's a pretty broad assumption. In actuality what you have here is a good natured G rated film that really doesn't offend anyone and has one or two truly laughable moments (as when the "cleaner" assassin takes to the golf course, with her bag turning into a large caliber machine gun).

I suppose that I should not have tread here in the first place, as I didn't much care for Rowan Atkinson's other works (sorry there Mr. Bean), but somehow I had a vague recollection of the first film and since I was in the mood for something whipped cream light and sorta funny... well it was just as advertised... not awful but certainly not worth delving into further (like the misplaced "buddy" aspect, or the "you can't be serious" G rated love interest that the film throws in for apparent good measure).
½ August 19, 2011
After years of waiting for a Johnny English sequel, and years of disappointment, "Reborn" finally came along. The atmosphere was right, the ideas spot on, but unfortunately the years of waiting disappointment were carried over to create a disappointing film.

Whilst the first Johnny English delivered all the goods for what it was selling itself as, and a little bit more, "Reborn" didn't deliver. Based around ten years after the events of Johnny English, English, played by Rowan Atkinson, is once more re-recruited into the service to explore covers up across the globe.

Rowan Atkinson reprises his role as the spy in a, like the film, disappointing fashion. His performance as English in the first film was thoroughly impressive and entertaining to almost all cinema goers, however this time he has delivered a performance which does not live up to his comic standards.

Another notable loss in the cast is that of Ben Miller as his sidekick. Whilst Daniel Kaluuya performs the task of sidekick spy admirably, his character is not portrayed as being better and more sensible than his commanding officer. This hurts the film, as Miller's former character, Boff, formed a light but very funny part of the storyline and character's relationships in the original film.

Dominic West doesn't stretch himself too far with his character, but with appearances from both Gillian Anderson and Richard Schiff the film has a decent cast. English's love interest Kate, played by Rosamund Pike, is a decent performance, but an unnecessary one. Being old enough to be her father, we sense that English and Kate's character relationship is really just a bit too silly and forced through by executive producers who thought the film needed it, when it really, really didn't.

But the main focus of English "2" has to be the screenplay, which overall let the franchise down. The original was full of gags, but also had a decent underlining story and general humorous feel throughout. The sequel is just gags. And when its just gags, films don't work, unless the gags are good.

In the case of "Reborn", they're not. Of course there are funny moments, and moments when the audience can see a glimpse of what was done with the original, but overall, despite decent acting and generally good direction, "Reborn" fails to live up to its predecessor and disappoints as a comedy.
½ April 19, 2012
it was better than I expected, and better than the first one, It had lots of funny moments, and Rowan Atkinson was just doing great, I recommend it and really worth watching.
July 2, 2011
Well although the first Johnny English wasnt a hit with the critics it was still amusing enough to entertain me and make me personally enjoy the movie, however this sequel is just absolutely terrrible! The title Reborn suggests that the agent is going to be bigger, funnier, more stupid and much more entertaining however it failed in every single way possible! This movie isn't even remotely as funny as the first and although i had a smile on my face in a couple of scenes the laughs were far and few between one another and they werent funny enough to make me laugh out loud!
½ July 23, 2011
I don't remember this movie as a movie that can offers me a lot of laugh while watching it, instead I was force to laugh when IMO there's nothing funny about it.. Rowan Atkinson's charm must I said has already end since his Mr. Bean got suspended, no matter how many time he try to revive it.. I seen Johnny English as a dumb agent, not a funny one.. And the most disturbing scene is when Johnny hit the queen's head, I just want to say : Is he out of his mind? Lot of absurd thing, the cast also look like they're amateur in acting.. No wonder if this movie flops, just watch it if you're a truly Rowan Atkinson's fan..
March 8, 2012
Sequel to the 2003 comedy, "Johnny English Reborn" is a decent enough followup. The comedy is light and enjoyable for all ages. Think of this as a no raunchy, more goofball version of "Austin Powers". Parodies the spy genre with brilliance. "English" is plays with perfection by Rowan Atkinson(aka "Mr. Bean") and he does his usual hilarious schtick. He bumbles, messes up, and always gets a few good laughs. The plot of the movie really is irrelevant as the main reason to watch is Atkinson's brand of comedy. Not as funny as the original or the Mr. Bean flicks, but it's still worth a watch for a couple laughs if your into goofball British comedies.
½ February 26, 2012
A pure blast of awesome fun from start to finish. A brilliant and wickedly entertaining comedy adventure thats loaded with gut-busting laughs and outragious antics.
September 20, 2011
A decent follow up to the original, but not as funny and a little old on the jokes side however a good watch but it's not to be taken seriously.
January 26, 2012
Save for a few lol sequences, the movie's apparently an under-accomplished mission for a comedy. While it's fairly entertaining, I'd also reckon that the nonsensical character isn't exploited to its full potential. It could have been way much funnier with some extra effort. Rowan Atkinson is at his best, but the script fails him by and large. His rocking performance is a major influence in my rating.
½ January 24, 2012
I don't know what he did here...but it was just wierd...The directing was not good...the music was missplaced....and for most of the was not a parody of spy was just a spy movie....and not a good one. 2-3 funny moments though...
Directors Cat
November 5, 2011
The sequel to the badly aged Johnny English is a definite improvement. I was mildly suprised that this film was more fun with both better jokes and acting. It's no where near as good as Austin Powers as some of the jokes are extremely similar but it does everything the first one did better. Its an above average time waster. But one thing Johnny English Reborn has in common with its predecessor is that Rowan Atkinson is still very much so under used and the film as a whole is certainly not memorable in the slightest.
½ January 21, 2012
I can't remember if I liked the first instalment less, or if I was just in a good mood for this outing. Either way, this wasn't particularly bad and I certainly laughed at some of the silly slapstick humour. Johnny English has been out of action for 5 years. An ex-CIA agent then comes forward and says he has information for the MI7 but will only talk to English. English is soon back on the case, and messing up just about everything. That's not entirely fair, a lot of the time he does do good. Such as a rather amusing foot chase which spoofs the parkour of Casino Royale, with English taking his time to walk the streets of Hong Kong. The jokes have all been done before, and are mostly sight based. For example, English continuously misconstrues what certain gadgets are for and ends up using them in the wrong way. As I find with a lot of comedies these days, they often milk a joke. How many times do we need to see Atkinson attacking elderly women thinking it's someone else? The supporting cast are all fine, but hardly any of them bring any comedic talents. It's all Atkinson's show. I really do think the spy spoof genre has run its course, especially when Spy films themselves have stepped away from their usual formulaic nonsense and have given us strong efforts including Casino Royale, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and the Bourne films.
½ September 10, 2011
Why is it so hard for Rowan Atkinson to get a movie worthy of his talent? I remember the good old days when I used to watch him in Mr. Bean, and how much I enjoyed every moment his character was on screen. Nowadays, however, it seems he has been reduced to a mere a clown of second-rate slapstick - who rarely gets to be funny. Even the least good parts of the Naked Gun movies have more comical value than this film. So it's not so surprising I lost interest already 10 minutes into it. Then I half-slept myself through the rest, at the barely existent hope that it would get better somehow. And while it did have its moments, I couldn't help but think of it as Austin Powers' unattractive and slow-witted cousin. Not entirely lame (the lipstick scene was pretty hilarious), but not very recommendable either.
½ October 20, 2011
It was funny... a little bit.
November 17, 2011
Being a huge fan of Rowan Atkinson, I loved this movie. Don't think of it like a James Bond parody, think of it like a spy movie that's a bit on the comical side. This review is short, but you know what they say, short is sweet, long is dragging.
Bathsheba Monk
½ November 1, 2011
It's slapstick, okay? If you don't find silly funny or morally elevating, forget it. I happen to find slapstick hilarious and this was so over the top "Oh, it's the T-2!" as the bullets penetrated his umbrella. hahahaha. Maybe it's in the genes.
October 25, 2011
there were murmurs of laughter throughout the audience in my screenings and only two scenes in which I erupted into laughter, there is 2 stars already, but then it differed from the first installment, which was it's laziness, the constant desperate gags as if he were begging for laughs, and let's be honest we all saw Mr. Bean there not Johnny English! the last star was merely rewarded because it is a small notch up from it's predecessor.
September 17, 2011
Falls flat from my expectations. Mildly amusing and a letdown from its predecessor. Much too shallow too for me to take seriously.