64% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Jolson Story Reviews

April 29, 2014
The true (to the spirit of vaudeville and Hollywood) tale of America's first and arguably greatest star of stage and screen. Name any great pop-vocalist of the 20th century - and likely they looked to this Lithuanian cantor's son as an inspiration.
December 30, 2013
Just loved the movie, although mostly fiction,the music can never be equaled to any other film in any era.
John B

November 15, 2013
Not a bad film but not a great one either. This one was going along oh so well until..whoa whoa whoa whoa..we see Jolson in blackface. Talk about insensitivity coming out of nowhere.
sleepykiss
September 10, 2013
A lot better then I expected. Love Larry Parks.
July 20, 2013
One of the best musical biographies ever made; colorful & entertaining, and filled with those wonderful Jolson melodies (dubbed for actor Larry Parks by Jolson himself).
jefrus
April 6, 2013
One of my favourite movies since I was a kid, brilliant stuff with great songs
December 15, 2012
The movie stars Larry Parks as Al Jolson, the one-time most popular singer in the world, who was the King of vaudeville and Broadway, and known for his facial expressions and physical acting while singing. With Evelyn Keyes and William Demarest, and a really corny and unlifelike romantic story full of cliches. Jolson himself coached Parks extensively on his acting, his moves, and his singing, and Jolson sang some of the songs himself (while Parks lip-synched). The music is irresistible, and Parks is great hamming it up Jolson style.
NightBear
November 11, 2011
Great cast and a nice film.
stuart r.
July 6, 2011
A few liberties are taken with the truth in this biopic of Al Jolson - one of the World's greatest entertainers in his prime, but never mind the fictional aspect for this is filled with terrific musical numbers - a showcase for Jolson's unique style - played brilliantly by Larry Parks and voiced by Jolson himself (all the more remarkable because he only had one lung at the time!). The truth is Parks is infinitely more likeable than the real Jolson (Jolson makes a cameo appearance during the "Swanee" number) and charms throughout. Indeed Parks did such a great job it produced a revival in Jolson's own career - and also spawned a sequel, "Jolson Sings Again" which is almost as good. If you appreciate the musicals of the 40s, this is amongst the best.
February 6, 2011
It is entertaining and all of the music is there, its well acted and fun to watch; HOWEVER its facts are horribly distorted with a lot of Hollywood hooey. He was a talent, but married 4 times, not a long awaited one time only as this movie would have you think. His life long issues with his brother Harry is completely omitted from the film completely. This is hardly the real story of his life or of his true persona, but its entertaining none the less just to hear the songs.
rayjansons
March 24, 2010
A terrific account of the life and times of Al Jolson.
Lady D

March 28, 2007
I haven't watched this film since I was a little girl, it didn't quite seem how I remember it being, still kind of found it interesting to watch.

I'm not quite sure how this film lies controversially, of course it was made a long time ago and it is the true life story of Al Jolson, it also made it as a West End show.
May 26, 2008
Skimps on the truth but the Jolson songs are worth watching for.
May 17, 2008
This is a marvelous movie
February 8, 2007
I grew up with this film and thought that this was what actually happened within the life of Al Jolson, but after reading more about his life I find that this is not the case.
However, It is still an entertaining film with many of Jolson's classic songs which takes me back to my childhood and watching it with my grandparents
babysis11
July 4, 2007
luv it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 26, 2007
this movie is inspiring and full of talent. it also has all of al jolsons original music. larry parks does a super job as the "greatest entertainer ever"
goddessaries87
June 13, 2007
make me cried some scene. its sad about his life had lose his wife at the end of scene.
imagineink327
February 21, 2007
A fascinating story of a fascinating man in a fascinating time!