Jonah - A VeggieTales Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jonah - A VeggieTales Movie Reviews

michael e.
December 31, 2010
IT was a very funny film even when I'm all grown up I still enjoy watching it
TomBowler
½ August 24, 2009
not big idea's best
sanjurosamurai
½ January 25, 2007
great flick, good family fun and a great message attached
May 18, 2014
Jonah is honestly a childhood favorite of mine, a film that sticks true to the fun and source but also gives some great lessons. VeggieTales just knows how to bring out the kid in me.
½ October 13, 2011
I was babysitting, the kids wanted to watch it... I'm not proud of it.
May 21, 2011
a funny, heartfelt animated film that give moral lessions about compassion and mercy. and showing it the funniest and best way how! the songs are catchy and offbeat, just like this great animated comedy! A+
May 21, 2007
Good for kids, and Judo-Christian parents, but drags out a bit too long. Some of the songs are also pretty painful. The humorous characters and positive message manage to push it forward.
½ April 27, 2015
You know what's funny? I think a movie centered around talking vegetables is the best religious movie I've ever seen. And you know what? I'm okay with that.
October 9, 2014
Just because I am not a Christian doesn't mean that I can't recognize the good moral lessons that religions, like Christianity, teach. In fact, I have been a huge fan of the Veggie Tales cartoons since their inception. My kids are too! So when the long, long, long-awaited Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie was finally released, needless to say, we were first in line. The humor, music and downright magical way Big Idea Productions pulls off such fables while remaining entertaining to both adults (even non-religious ones, like me) and children, asstounds me. It always has. Veggie Tales has become a marketing phenomenon with a myriad of toys, games, videos, CDs, etc. Can Big Idea succeed in the movie industry as well with a Christian-based cartoon? As much as I love these guys, I'm afraid not.

I was really excited about seeing this movie, believe it or not. I looked forward to reviewing it as well. I seriously point to the Veggie Tales series as an example that I, a non-religious person, can appreciate a well-told story and entertaining cast, even if they are religion-based. To top it off, my kids have always loved them and learned a lot through them. It was only fitting that we patronize the theater in support of this feature film.

With popcorn and soda in-hand, we sat down for the relatively short 1:23 production. Animation-wise, it's just as clever as ever. the 3-D computer animated food characters are superb. The comedy is rich, the characters are cute and the meaning is memorable. However, stretching out the story of Jonah and the whale into a feature-length film was entirely too much for this Veggie Tales fan to handle.

I knew something was wrong when my 2 year-old, notorious for staring at the television and reciting the dialogue in several cartoons word-for-word (you think we let him watch too much TV?), started getting bored. Yes sir, Big Idea's big idea to move to the big screen was a mistake. Nothing about Jonah was spectacular enough to warrant big screen treatment. In fact, I wonder if Jonah's constant release postponement was due to the fact that executives struggled with whether or not to release it in the theaters, an untested market, versus home video, an already proven market for Big Idea, for such a mild, lackluster feature.

If you know the story of Jonah and the whale and are Veggie Tales fans, I still urge you to wait until home video. Save your popcorn and soda budget for something less expensive, like college tuition. I predict Jonah will make its paltry $14 budget back, and then some, considering how full the theater was this weekend. But I predict massive drop-off next week, resulting in most of its money coming from the home video market, where it should have been in the first place. Nice try Big Idea, but Jonah wasn't much of a GOOD idea.
January 30, 2014
I not ashamed to admit it, when I was little, I used to watch Veggie Tales ALOT! When I first I heard that there's was going to be a movie of Veggie Tales, I was feeling happy of joy. I haven't watched this in awhile. but from what I got form this, It was better then I remember it. The thing I love about this is that the fact they didn't need to use Pop cultural references or modern jokes to make it work like most kid films these days. All they need is a simple well telling of a well known Bible story, great animation, some nice songs, and good roles form characters who are well known to many who grew up with the show. If you love Veggie Tales and have little kids, then you should have no problem with this film.
½ July 2, 2012
Jonah's heartfelt morals, catchy tunes, and great humor are enough to warrant a viewing of these...bizarre vegetables.
June 21, 2011
I liked this movie a lot. It was a fun movie. It had excellent animation, story, music and characters. It is fun for both kids and adults.
½ June 2, 2011
Oh yeah, I liked this when this first came out on DVD, but years later I don't know how much I'll still like it. I guess I'm gonna have to see this again LOL.
November 6, 2010
This was a very interesting story of Jonah portrayed in a way that kids would be interested in watching. I enjoyed the movie and the time and worked placed into it to try to consider the aspects of the story of Jonah.
July 6, 2010
i so love veggie tales movies. my kids enjoy them too . its very positive and a great way to get kids interested in bible stories!!!
½ December 30, 2009
Hey, you should really see this! well I did't like it at the start I just wanted to go back into my room but my mom pulled me to watch it then it got intresting when i stayed it was expiring to kids and many people who ever watched this.
August 17, 2009
Entertaining and gives a lesson on having compassion and giving everyone a second chance - everyone makes mistakes
July 10, 2008
Based on the strange Christan TV cartoons of a pair of veggies, as if to make kids like vegetables, this story tells the Jonah and the big fish tale from the Bible. Innocent enough fun. Takes some getting used to talking tomatoes and cucumbers, as there's just something weird about that.
December 20, 2007
The movie is a blast of educational energy, as bouncy animation and catchy songs escort you through the entire 85 minutes.
June 8, 2007
lol good ol veggietales i can't wait for the pirates who dont' do anything to come out but i spose i have to, :p