—— Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Jonah Hex Reviews

John M

June 16, 2010
It is what it is. Nothing too spectacular here. Just decent action. Okay acting. Just well what it is.
Jens S

June 16, 2010
The premise based on the comics has potential: a gunslinger who was so close to dying that he can now talk to the dead, while trying to stop a megalomaniac terrorist. The most pleasant surprise of the supernatural Western mix is the cast and how many well-known people show up in rather small and surprising roles. They may feel a tad underused but on the other hand it's fun to see them all come together. The less pleasant surprise is the kind of film they joined in. It does have it's moments and is rather entertaining, but also pretty damn shallow when it comes to dialogs and action. The shootouts are always rather short (and with the type of shredding metal guitars, that seem to imply speed and excitement but are just annoying), the characters remain flat. The short running time of the film implies that the creators were not that happy with it, either and tried to make it out alive as fast as possible.
Jon L

June 15, 2010
Mixed feelings about seeing this one.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 14, 2010
I just did a double feature of this and Wild Wild West. I think I've really lost my mind. Neveldine and Taylor are hacks. Period. There's lots of ineptness here. Undercooked story, shoddy script, too short a run time, the pacing's too fast, and some really underused talent.

Brolin and Malkovich try really hard, but they can't carry things. I gave Fox the benefit of the doubt with Jennifer's Body, but it looks like that one (for now) was a miraculous fluke. Fassbender is fun, I'll give him that, but, and this applies all around: I can't care for any of these people. They're not likeable, sympathetic, or as interesting as they should be. It was cool to see Brent Hinds of Mastodon make a 3 second cameo though...

Speaking of which...I love Mastodon. They are one of my favorite bands. I got psyched when I first heard about this movie and their involvement with it. The music is good, not their best, but it's probably the best thing in the movie. Unfortunately, even that was compromised. They had originally written some apparently excellent music, but shit happened and it got scrapped and they had to start over and weren't given lots of time to deliver new music. Also, they didn't get 100% creative freedom the second time around. BOO.

I did like the random steam punk elements, but everything here just felt super half assed, tired, and incredibly lazy. I was gonna try to be nice and give this an extra half star originally, but I'm just too angry and confused, and tired of talking about any of this more than it deserves.
Jason C

April 11, 2011
Here's the moment all comic book fans have been waiting for, a Jonah Hex movie. Well, maybe not. I'm not familiar with the comics, and I'm sure those who are would say that the books are much better. Then again, what the could be worse? This movie was as unmemorable as it was a complete mess. You know the storytelling is complete garbage when characters portrayed by Josh Brolin and John Malkovich are boring. The best part of the movie was that it was only slightly over 70 minutes long. I guess that wouldn't be a bonus if you paid $13 to watch it in the theater though. Avoid this if you're not a fan of the comic. Avoid this if you are a fan of the comic.
garyX
garyX

May 1, 2010
When an ex-Confederate soldier is brought back from the brink of death by Indian medicine men he finds himself virtually unkillable and able to reanimate the dead with his touch. Based upon the popular DC comic book series, Jonah Hex is little more than a generic western with a bit of post modern weaponry thrown in. In fact the combination of steam punk technology and cowboys makes it look all the world like the depressingly juvenile Wild Wild West with a sense of humour by-pass. Josh Brolin is adequate as the laconic gunslinger but the plot is totally lacking in imagination (bad guy kills his family, blood vendetta, kidnapped girlfriend, big shoot out blah blah blah). The effects are adequate and there are a couple of decent shoot outs but it takes itself far too seriously leaving this horseback version of The Crow floundering in total mediocrity. It's barely 75 minutes long so it never gets boring but it's one of those so-called "action" films that's impossible to care about. If it's a supernatural western you want, try the far superior Clint Eastwood films Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter instead.
Anthony L

January 16, 2012
When it comes to comics, I'm more a DC man (Vertigo) - until it comes to film adaptations that is. When reading my favourite comics, Transmetropolitan, The Boys, DMZ, 100 Bullets, The Invisibles...the list goes on, I think to myself 'They should totally make this into a movie' - then a film like Jonah Hex and Green Lantern come along and you think, actually some things are best left in comics. That said, I've never been much of a Jonah Hex or Green Lantern fan so I'm not that bothered. They messed up with Constantine which was pretty unforgivable, so for now I reckon comics like Scalped and Preacher are safe but Hex was expendable and worth the risk. For all it's negative reviews though, Jonah Hex isn't a terrible film, some parts were quite good and I especially liked the 'Talking to the dead' scenes. Unfortunately the entire film is just completely forgettable..what was I talking about again?
TheGame90
TheGame90

September 26, 2011
I knew it was gonna be crap...And I was right. But it was really short...and a way to pass time. Nothing wrong with the cast...they're allright. But it's just a B-Rated film about a C-Rated Superhero. Take it or leave it.....I apperently took it...
Matt G

January 22, 2011
"What happened to your face?" some jerk sneers. Hex shoots him, then says, "Cut myself shaving. What happened to yours?"

If the Dukes of Hazzard had a baby with Operation: Endgame and and that baby fucked another baby and their child named Drillbit Taylor had a baby, he would name their baby Jonah Hex.

Terrible film, not even one good part. Not even Josh Brolin can save the film. I don't like giving 1.5 stars but this film was REALLY fucking terrible. Worse than The Tourist and even worse than The Bounty Hunter.

Megan Fox is awful but beautiful.

"Don't see Jonah Hex." - DC Comics
EightThirty .

May 2, 2010
24/04/2011 (PS3)

It's very cool however for me I wanted more. To be truthful it looks fantastic, the camera work and production even the ideas and all but the story felt like an episode for a television series rather than a full on flick. It certainly wasn't boring for me, from the beginning my interest is heightened and then during the flick it sort of goes down and before I knew it... it ended.

It came straight to DVD here in New Zealand which I'm glad cause I would of went to see it at the cinemas. Although not a strong film for me I did like the dude who plays 'Jonah Hex' and I guess that's why I kept on watching.

It's a watchable flick if you don't treasure your spare time but I honestly do and wished I spent it playing Yakuza 4 or Dragon Age 2 on my Ps3 but what has been done is done. Funny thing is if there is a sequel I might still check it out.
Michael G

May 5, 2010
It would be a total lie to not recognize the fact that Jonah Hex is a disjointed mess from the story's standpoint. The great, but somewhat out of place Mastadon score/soundtrack mixed in with the generally underdeveloped characters and completely random casting (Will Arnett? Wes Bentley? Jeffrey Dean Morgan? Aidan Quinn? Michael Shannon!?) should've won Jonah Hex a WTF award at the Razzies. But between the fact that this movie is nowhere nearly as bad as I was lead to believe and its a very fun mess, I liked Jonah Hex. I won't lie and tell you its a great movie, but sometimes great and entertaining aren't mutually exclusive...
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 12, 2011
I agree with most, Megan Fox is a sucky actor, Josh Brolin wasnt at his best, and the story wasnt perfect. But to me I like the Heavy Metal music, I enjoyed Malkovich, and Jonah Hexs face actually looks like that people.
Dean !

January 3, 2011
Hmm not heard of the character before? This just seemed like a comic book western for me with a quirky supernatural element. It has a good cast and while not being a bad film, it does feel like there is something missing? It could have been a lot better. It's very short and simple and has some ok action scenes, that's about it.
Edward B

February 2, 2011
In the hands of better filmmakers, I'm sure Jonah Hex would have been a much more intriguing and entertaining western fantasy. Shame really, because the cast is wasted. Josh Brolin is quite good as Jonah Hex, as is John Malkovich as Jonah's arch enemy. Megan Fox is not as bad as I've heard; she gets the job done, what little is required of her.
But instead, the script by Neveldine/Taylor is a hack job that recycles tons of cliches, fails to develop any of its characters beyond stereotype, and ultimately sucks all the life out of the anti-hero and the premise. The pacing is swift but has no energy, thus, no one will care about what is going to happen next. The only thing good about this movie: it runs an hour and twelve minutes plus credits, so you're night isn't completely ruined.
Beefy
Beefy

June 19, 2010
No, not the worst film ever made. Not even the worst of 2010. But there's not much to recommend, either. It's clear the studio didn't know what to do with the property, and the result is patchy and awkward.
Coxxie M

May 3, 2010
Although pretty amazing for making an 80-minute movie seem alot longer, this is really notable for being the film to show America just how great of an actress Megan Fox is. Now i know she was brilliant in Transformers 2 as well, but in Jonah Hex she reminds me somewhat of a young Lindsay Lohan. Remember Freaky Friday? oh yea. this is the companion-piece to Freaky Friday. Its to Freaky Friday what Child's Play 3 was to Child's Play 2!

As you watch this film, and i hope you do, consider moments like the one where a bad guy is like "im gonna own you like Disney owned Lindsay Lohan til she was 14." and shes just bends back all sexy and gives a smirk with a "I aint much for being owned." YES, Gentlemen, i laughed my pants off, and not just because i was pissing in my Slushee cup so i would'nt miss a second of this movie on a damn bathroom break, but because Megan Fox (MEGAN FOX) is a acting phenomenon. America, you may bow down to your new Lindsay Lohan.

Also Megan Fox has really, really great boobs.
deano
deano

April 1, 2009
This film was short and not bad enough to offend at least. This should have been so much more but the poor direction and ugly style just kills it in the end. I'm a fan of comics as I agreed with other about Josh Brolin was a perfect choice for the title role.
Most of the rest of the actors are simply wasted. Will Arnett, Aidan Quinn, Michael Fassbender, Wes Bentley and even Lance Reddick are all stuffed in, but the script limits them to shuffling the plot forward.
In particular, John Malkovich seems bored throughout, making this Turnbull a deadly dull bad guy. Megan Fox looks good in a corset, but her turn as a prostitute with a soft spot for scarred bounty hunters is leaden.
Otherwise, we're treated to a bland blend of straightforward action-pic plotting and some misjudged attempts to portray how the half-dead hero perceives the world. Notably, a scrap between Hex and Turnbull is primed to drag derisive snorts rather than admiring awe. Hex? Cursed is more like it.
Isn't one Wild Wild West enough? Okay, so Jonah Hex didn't come with the same expectations, but it's still an object lesson in how not to adapt a comic book. A crushing disappointment.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 8, 2010
Cast: Josh Brolin, John Malkovich, Megan Fox, Michael Fassbender, Will Arnett, John Gallagher Jr., Tom Wopat, Michael Shannon, Wes Bentley, Julia Jones

Director: Jimmy Hayward

Summary: Enlisted by a Union soldier (Will Arnett), scarred bounty hunter Jonah Hex (Josh Brolin) scours the Wild West in pursuit of Turnbull (John Malkovich), a crazed voodoo master with a scheme to assemble a devastating weapon that will destroy the government and lift the Confederacy. Based on the DC Comic.

My Thoughts: "I am not one who reads comics or knows of very many. But I do happen to like most of the films based upon them. Unfortunately, this has to be the worse adaption I have seen. It had plenty of potential to be a great film. The character's just had no real back ground story which made caring for any of them unrealistic. Considering how short this film was, they could have put in some effort into developing their character's. There were some good moments of action, and a few good explosions. The acting was OK, nothing great. It just felt slow, long, and yet rushed all at the same time. It's disappointing because I was really hoping to like this despite all the negative reviews. But it is what it is; a bad film."
michael e.
michael e.

December 2, 2010
it was actually a great revenge action movie with great action to see and great effects