Critics Consensus: Jonas Brothers Fizzles

Plus, guess Street Fighter's Tomatometer!

This week at the movies, we've got teenybop pop (Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience) and a video game adaptation (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, starring Kristin Kreuk and Michael Clarke Duncan). What do the critics have to say?

N/A

Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience

It's unlikely that Jonas Brothers: The 3-D Concert Experience will make anyone forget such classic concert films as Woodstock or Gimme Shelter. Heck, critics say it's not even in the same league as Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert. In JBT3DE, the squeaky-clean siblings perform their sticky-sweet hits for a rapturous crowd of tweens, while occasionally paying homage to A Hard Day's Night and offering some backstage banter. The pundits say the movie should please the brothers' adoring followers, but non-acolytes will continue find the group's appeal elusive, and the 3-D effects aren't particularly innovative or exciting.

18%
Template Image
Rotten

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li delves into the backstory of the title character, who vows to avenge the death of her father -- presumably by utilizing a lot of flying spin kicks. (Personally, I'd like to see a brooding, introspective drama about the life and times of Blanka, but that's just me.) The film wasn't screened for critics prior to its release, so it's time to put down those controllers and guess that Tomatometer!

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Birdsong, an offbeat take on the tale of the Three Wise Men and their journey to visit the infant Jesus, is at 100 percent.
  • Robert Blecker Wants Me Dead, a documentary about a death penalty advocate who wrestles with his conscience, is at 100 percent.
  • The Examined Life, a documentary that follows noted philosophers like Cornel West and Slavoj Zizek as they expound on mankind's place in the world, is at 92 percent.
  • The Trouble with Romance, an indie comedy about four couples in various stages of relationships, is at 40 percent.
  • An American Affair, starring Gretchen Mol in a coming-of-age tale set against backdrop of the JFK assassination, is at 33 percent.
  • Crossing Over, starring Harrison Ford and Ashley Judd in a drama that looks at immigration from a variety of viewpoints, is at 11 percent.

• Finally, we'd like to bestow props upon Kameron D. for correctly guessing that Madea Goes to Jail would notch a 29 percent Tomatometer.

Comments

Racer Z

Shannon Potratz

Jonas Bros and Street Fighter. I don't think I could be less interested in this weekend's "big" releases. Ugh.

Feb 26 - 04:47 PM

BennyJet

T D

Stay home this weekend and play with your hot wheels, lol.

Feb 26 - 09:46 PM

BennyJet

T D

Stay home this weekend and play with your hot wheels, lol.

Feb 26 - 09:47 PM

Racer Z

Shannon Potratz

Street Fighter: 12% Tomatometer

Feb 26 - 04:54 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Street Fighter:18%. I have actually seen like no ads for Street Fighter, but for obvious reasons. That will be a fun rental. Yeah nothing this week. Plan on just staying in all weekend and watching movies, also Bill Maher, Dollhous, and Friday Night Lights is on tomorrow- yes I watch Friday Night Lights... So yeah nothing good this week, but I believe there is a little movie called Watchmen coming out next week.

Feb 26 - 05:02 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Gee, Street Fighter not being screened in advance for critcs? I am SO surprised. After Hannah Montanna and High School Musical's reviews, I expected critics to wimp out again and like the Jonas Brothers thing. I'm glad they didn't, I almost lost hope in humanity.

Feb 26 - 05:14 PM

RoadDogXVIII

Michael Zimmerman

I can't believe the critics didn't praise "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience". The tweens love them, some adults swoon over them (how can you explain their Grammy nomination), and yet it's sitting at 29%. Apparently, the review at Slant Magazine is the most accurate, even though they swooned over the "Hannah Montana" concert film. Perhaps Obama's inauguration into office means the population of mouthbreathing audiences will soon disappear. Fingers crossed.

Feb 26 - 05:24 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I kind of wonder how the Jonas Bros movie will hold up against Watchmen next week :)

Feb 26 - 05:48 PM

MizzleBrizzle

Mike Bragg

Well, no competition for the Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire, I guess.

I'll go with 8% for Streetfighter.

Feb 26 - 06:12 PM

smartmoviekid

jonathan ramirez

ill be shocked if Street Fighter gets anything GREATER than 5 percent. i say..4. being generous. can't wait till watchmen!

Feb 26 - 06:43 PM

RE4P3R

Alejandro Marquez

6% for Street Fighter.

I'll be watching DOUBT this weekend.

Feb 26 - 06:48 PM

Dictioninrepose555

Jon Bosley

Hmm, I'll give it 8 %, though it probably won't deserve even that. I'm craving the Watchmen, but since I've seen most of the great films out, I'll be settling for the International, which still peaks my curiosity.

Feb 26 - 07:45 PM

gigantor21

Messler Messla

I've been a fan of Street Fighter since I was 3, and the first live-action movie still haunts me. This new one looks just as lame, and doesn't even have Raul Julia.

Anything higher than 20%--at the very most--is pushing it.

Feb 26 - 07:58 PM

utkipp1

Anthony Kipp

I'm gonna say Street fighter surprises, simialr to how Quarantine did, and gets a 56%.

Feb 26 - 08:17 PM

Hans M.

Hans Morgenstern

11% on Streetfighter. Otherwise, who cares about the wide releases when you have Watchmen breathing down their necks?

As for the obscure releases, glad to see the Examined Life turned out to be worth checking out. Her Zizek! documentary was great fun.

Feb 26 - 08:23 PM

utkipp1

Anthony Kipp

I think it shows just how sad things are in our society when the highest grossest movie over w eekend has the words jonas brothers in the title.

Feb 26 - 08:29 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

7% for street fighter, i'll be catching up on things I missed this week and prep for Watchmen

Feb 26 - 09:28 PM

BennyJet

T D

These so-called "critics" of the Jonas Brothers should stick to what they know - reviewing dried up Madonna, 50 cent and Neil Young. And this also goes for the other non-critic miscreant posters here - stay home why don't ya. Boil the Jonas' sound to it's basic elements and these youngsters rock -cool guitar riffs, tasty drum fills and decent pop sounding vocals - warrants the Jonas boys a strong B in my book. If you didn't know they were under the Disney label, you would humming along and tapping your foot. I read and write music, play trumpet, drums and electric guitar and I'm a passionate music fan. Get a clue folks otherwise it's your loss. I'm happy to hear some youngsters playing original pop-rock - and playing it well. It could be much worse.

Feb 26 - 09:31 PM

inactive user

Jared King

You crazy.

Feb 26 - 10:08 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

I disagree with both you and your repliers comments, I would hardly say The Jonas Brothers rock, they make OK pop rock music, but I've heard far better, the drums are boring to say the least, the guitar is ok, the pop hooks however are good... but not enough to suck me into them. As for everybody saying "ZOMG TODAY HAS DA WURST MUZIK EVAR!111!!!!1!", look at it this way; 38 years ago people were saying the exact same thing about Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, etc. etc., same goes for grunge, same goes for the new wave of british heavy metal, same goes for new wave, same goes for... you get the idea, there are always nay-sayers, and in the end most modern bands WILL be remembered, however the jonas brothers, just like the monkees, Leif Garrett, NKOTB, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC and others will fade out and wont be cared about for a longggg time.

Feb 28 - 04:32 AM

Solonik -.

Solonik -

Ok you just compared the Jonas Brothers to Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd in one sentence saying that they are somehow misunderstood geniuses who are being glossed over because they are in the wrong time. You finish by saying most modern bands will be remembered (assuming you are referring back to the Jonas Brothers). Then in the next breath you (rightly so) compare them to Backstreet Boys, and NSYNC for fading from view. You need to make up your mind man, because for the most part you are full of it for the first half of what you said.

Feb 28 - 11:25 AM

runmong

Andrew Norris

I think you just need better reading comprehension.

Feb 28 - 11:44 PM

BennyJet

T D

Stay home this weekend and play with your hot wheels, lol.

Feb 26 - 09:46 PM

BennyJet

T D

Stay home this weekend and play with your hot wheels, lol.

Feb 26 - 09:47 PM

inactive user

Jared King

You crazy.

Feb 26 - 10:08 PM

utkipp1

Anthony Kipp

I play music too. I love music. And anything good, whether I like it or not, I will give props to. The Jonas Brothers are not good. The first few times I heard their songs I had no idea who they were or that they were Disney. I thought it was horrible.

And please don't call them rock. pop is fine, but they are not rock. There is so much more to rock than music. it's also about the lifestyle. Drinking, drugs, girls, etc.

Feb 26 - 10:26 PM

HectorMoran91

Hector Moran

Utkipp1 rock n' roll is not about drinking, drugs, and girl, dude its basically a way of life, grabbing a group of dudes who can truly play music and have them sing about something they really believe in. Thats the reason why Old Rock is better than new rock, they stood for something, and they fought for something. I have to agree with you on the fact that the Jonas brothers arent rock.
In fact The Jonas Brothers are nothing like that, they are just a brand, a name to make money for a company, sadly most music has become like that.
**** I guess I have to wait until Watchmen.

Feb 26 - 10:51 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships