Critics Consensus: Journey 2 Isn't Quite Worth the Trip

Summary

This week in multiplexes, "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" gets a deluxe 3d rerelease, but there are plenty of other choices for those unwilling to venture to a galaxy far, far away. We've got a jungle quest ("Journey 2: The Mysterious Island," starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Josh Hutcherson), rogue CIA agents on the run ("Safe House," starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds), and a couple rebuilding their relationship ("The Vow," starring Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum). Plus, there are a bunch of interesting indies and foreign language films over at the arthouse. Find out what the critics have to say! Back to Article

Comments

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

It means the plot of the movie doesn't make any sense.

Feb 9 - 07:46 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I think Vader killed his critics.

Feb 9 - 08:00 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

Once again, the limited releases look a lot more interesting than the wide ones.

Feb 9 - 09:03 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

indeed.

Feb 9 - 09:37 PM

thechienfiction

Thechienfiction yes

I third that. At least Episode 1 had a decent racing scene and a good final battle/parallel edited scene. Episode 2 just had Hayden Christensen... which did not turn out well.

Feb 9 - 10:10 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I disagree. I think Attack of the Clones is the best of the three, but that's really not saying much... not much at all.

Feb 10 - 01:48 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I thougth attack of the Clones had the strongest finish to any of the movie's. The battle in the arena, subsequent Jedi free for all and Yoda lightsaber fight with Dooku came the closest to meeting my expectations for what the prequals should have been to anything in the 3 prequals. Phantom Menace with the exception of the duel with Darth Maul was definately the Return of the Jedi aka the weakest of the prequals with Jar Jar and the Nabooites taking the place of Ewoks only not as cool.

Feb 10 - 05:18 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I agree about the climax of Attack of the Clones being really strong (I like how it just keeps growing bigger and bigger) but personally I think the last half of Revenge of the Sith easily trumps it. Everything starting from the chase between Obi-Wan and General Greivous to Anakin becoming Darth Vader (I still find that scene where he's staring out of the window really haunting) to Vader invading the Jedi Temple to Order 66 to Yoda Vs Palpatine to the fight between Vader and Obi-Wan to the masking of Vader was just pure epicness.

Feb 10 - 07:01 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Phantom Menace is the most boring and uneven of the 3, but the last one is by far the worst; it's borderline campy, acting is awful from every person involved (like they weren't even trying anymore, only Jimmy Smiths seems moderately happy to be in the movie). Clone is corny and awful at times, but the Jedi invasion of the arena and all subsequent fighting makes it worthwhile. Phantom Menace, in retrospect, is not the worst Lucas could have done, but when it came out and expectations were high, pretty damn lackluster.

Feb 10 - 09:41 AM

Dave J

Dave J

bigbrother, let's say you're correct about "Yoda lightsaber fight with Dooku" met expectations but what about the fact that as an adult person such as yourself should be able to tell a CGI Yoda was used doing all the fighting never bothered you which can convince any 5 year old instead of using a puppet(character made famous because it was a puppet in The Empire Strikes...), was Lucas making a 'statement' saying that although a Yoda puppet could've been used that audiences are a bunch of suckers to accept a CGI Yoda doing anything over a character that was originally a puppet and was loved by children because it was a puppet! I mean, the question is had Lucas used a CGI Yoda on "The Empire Strikes Back" instead of using a puppet, designed with the help of Frank Oz would you still be able to identify with the character in question? Why accept a Yoda CGI, why not make Anakin Skywalker as well as the rest of the characters to be CGI, why did it have to be just the Yoda be CGI?

Feb 10 - 01:31 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Which remeinds me part of the reason "Tron Legacy" wasn't as good as the first one was because anyone can tell that CGI was used for the younger Beau Bridges as Clu!

Feb 10 - 01:36 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

What bugged me the most about Tron was that once out of the computer world, Olivia Wilde, who was saved in a USB drive, was a person. That was just...you know, pretty fucking stupid.

Feb 10 - 02:55 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Well, the whole notion about going into a computer system was supposed to be a ridiculous concept to begin with to some people regardless, but somehow the producers/ writers thought "if" the audience can accept people going into computers why can't something be created within' the computers system come out as real life without explaining how and why!

Feb 10 - 03:16 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

I can suspend disbelief for going into a computer as a human. But then with no further "why" or "how" a program becomes a person...come on!

Feb 11 - 12:28 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

What I liked most about Attack of the Clones was everything involving Obi-Wan, primarily his entanglements with Jango and his investigation into Kamino and then learning about the clone army. There are many weaknesses (especially when Anakin shows up), but I still find much enjoyment in the fights between Jango and Obi-Wan, particularly their space battle in the asteroid field... which, by the way, sort of reminds me of another asteroid field sequence from one of the earlier movies. :)

Feb 11 - 12:29 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Concerning Tron Legacy and Olivia Wilde's character existing on the other side, I really never thought about that. Maybe I wasn't into the movie enough. I did like the scene with her seeing the sun for the first time... maybe they just did it for the emotion of the scene. Or maybe they'll try to explain it in the next Tron movie. I hope they don't go all Midichlorian on us when/if they do explain it.

Feb 11 - 12:32 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Actually, to have Olivia Munst come out as a human didn't bother me that much either and the reason is that had she been a volumptious model or some other attractive female or another than that notion wouldn't be so much of a factor and that if all girls can all come out like that and they are all as attractive looking as her then the question about 'how' did it happen gets thrown out the window! Most testosterone blue collar males wouldn't even care only that it's posssible!

Feb 13 - 01:06 PM

Parthiban J.

Parthiban J

I will go The Vow,others are Rentals....

Feb 9 - 09:41 PM

Julian N.

Julian Nunez

I think it's a big slap in the face to fans of star wars to re-release one of the worst ones in 3D. Anyways, nothing good this week. Might watch chronicle since, the positive reviews and all of the clips i've seen intrigued me.

Feb 9 - 09:43 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

They are all being re-released in 3D. Even the originals. But they will be the crappy 90's special editions.

Feb 10 - 05:25 AM

thechienfiction

Thechienfiction yes

Feb 9 - 10:10 PM

Brian Duffee

Brian Duffee

Just what we need, a 3D JAR-JAR BINKS! All the new releases suck for this week. Going to see Chronicle instead.

Feb 9 - 10:59 PM

Robert T.

Robert Tiemstra

I completely agree. I think Phantom Menace is very underrated. People always point out the gaping flaws (which are there, Jar Jar Binks, etc.), but I love the visuals. It still has the sense of fun that a Star Wars movie should have. And episode II is FAR, FAR worse.

Feb 9 - 11:23 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Saying episode II is worse than episode I is kind of like saying you'd rather be eaten alive by tigers as opposed to lions.

Feb 10 - 08:37 AM

Mike23456

Oskar Werner

lol!

Feb 11 - 04:39 AM

Anatoli Ossai

Anatoli Ossai

double lol

Feb 11 - 03:43 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Nothing interesting this week. Personally I like The Phantom Menace even though I found it to be the weakest of the Star Wars film. It really can be a mixed bag at times. For every memorable character (Darth Maul) there's an annoying one (Jar Jar Binks) For every strong performance (Liam Neeson) there's a weak one (Jake Lloyd) for every upliffting scene (The Pod Race) there's a scene that drags (all that Trade Federation politics) though in general I do think the positives outweigh the negatives. Will probably skip Attack of the Clones as well, though I did find it to be better paced than Phantom Menace. As for Revenge of the Sith, now that is a film I would love to see in 3-d, as it's got breathtaking visuals and a story to match them.

Feb 9 - 11:47 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Watch...

Feb 10 - 08:44 AM

Kamarul Ramadhan Sulaiman

Kamarul Ramadhan Sulaiman

I already watch Journey 2, I really enjoyed it

Feb 10 - 12:22 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Feb 10 - 01:48 AM

Ken W.

Ken Wolfson

nah, third prequel was the best

Feb 10 - 03:11 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

YES! Revenge of the Sith is almost as good as the IV through VI trilogy . . . Lucas appeared to be vying for a Best Picture Nomination (it's extremely emotional)

Feb 10 - 01:37 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Hayden Christensen is about as emotionally powerful as rotten eggs. He certainly gets a reaction.

Feb 10 - 02:05 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

The third prequel was the best. But saying that it was "almost as good" as the originals is like saying Troll 2 is almost as good as Casablanca.

Feb 10 - 09:54 PM

Mike23456

Oskar Werner

What do people actually like about Casablanca (other than it's status as "A CLASSIC", or "A MILESTONE")?

Feb 11 - 04:40 AM

Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

the third prequel was gibberish. Anakin's transition from virtuous Jedi to Child Murderer (which should have been the central theme of the entire prequel trilogy) occurred in about the space of a minute, and was inexplicably motivated by a ridiculous promise to save his wife made by a cartoonishly absurd Palpatine who had provided exactly 0 evidence to support his ability to do anything other than shoot lightning bolts at her corpse. Then, we're supposed to believe that when Palpatine fails to uphold his end of the bargain, Vader wakes up fiercely loyal to the silly jackass who did absolutely nothing for him? BOOO!

Feb 11 - 12:21 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

@ Mike - Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman at the peak of their careers.

@ Matthew - "BYOOOOOO!"

Feb 11 - 02:16 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

well, I was devastated by Annikin's manipulation from being an aspiring do-gooder into an Evil henchman for Grand Moff Tarkin and The Emperor. It was emotional to me--but I knew that most audiences wouldn't receive the emotional vibe.///films effect different people in different ways, usually based on a person's own life experience.//Star Wars I 3-D racked-in 23 Million dollars--somebody must like it.///In fact it was a record-breaking weekend: Professional Film Critics must not be "in-tune" with Mass-Audiences.///I'll see Star Wars I tomorrow, when there won't be an audience checking their cell-phones 4 times during the movie.

Feb 12 - 11:03 AM

Justice Belinda

Justice Belinda

Yes. LazyCash14.com

Feb 13 - 09:46 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

I'll be seeing Safe House sometime, as much of a Bourne-knockoff it is, I enjoy those types of gritty spy thrillers, so I should somewhat enjoy it. Speaking of Bourne, as skeptical as I was, I must say, I was completely won over by The Bourne Legacy trailer. No Matt Damon is still a shame, but hey, it was his choice. Renner looks like a great replacement, and the cast looks phenomenal. And at least we'll be done with the shaky-cam (I hope).

Feb 10 - 03:51 AM

redrooster0

Charlie Voelker

Renner has said that he would love to do a movie with Matt Damon somewhere down the line, but that's only if paul greengrass is on board

Feb 10 - 11:32 AM

Michael Turnbill

Michael Turnbill

Safe house for me this weekend but I recommend you all go see Chronicle, truly an awesome movie.

Feb 10 - 03:56 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday