Journey 2: The Mysterious Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island Reviews

November 16, 2013
Journey 2 Is visually impressive but dull and lacking a story. It can be mildly entertaining for younger adiences, but all others will be bored. It is a cliché and completely implausible adventure that lacks any reals suspense. Nobody seems to get hurt or die, and the characters aren't all that interesting, so you don't really care what happens. It is ridiculously predictable and just not that good. Some nice visuals and some decent acting are really all I commend the movie for. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island gets 2/5 stars (C-).
½ February 12, 2012
Slightly silly title but if you're unaware this is the sequel to the 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' remake starring Brendan Fraser. Pretty much the same thing accept swap Fraser with Dwayne Johnson playing Hutcherson's stepfather for this adventure. The title is also a clever cross over with Jules Verne's other fantasy novel 'The Mysterious Island'. So it reads...'Journey 2' (as in part 2, the sequel), 'The Mysterious Island'...I say clever but...never mind.

Lots of the expected really, you can't really fail to know what your gonna see here, big bugs, volcanoes, sea beasties, lost gold, deep thick jungles and Michael Caine playing your typical bearded oldboy intrepid adventurer...think along the lines of Connery in 'The Last Crusade'.

Despite that it is good fun if you enjoy light-hearted fantasy much like the original 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' film. It is of course totally daft how Johnson and Hutcherson know how to pilot Captain Nemo's Nautilus, hijack large bumblebees and ride them like speeder bikes and Johnson throwing a spear underwater but hey!...you overlook these things.

Enjoyable stuff and hopefully a third on the way, maybe a little less focus on Johnson though this time, he's admittedly a funny guy but boy does he love being the centre of attention.
June 29, 2014
I'm pretty sure Jules Verne would have been disappointed in this film.
June 23, 2014
Saw this again on HBO down the road past its release. You know what? It's a damn fun movie. Nothing important or new really, but a nice, totally harmless family adventure flick with charming performances and bouncy action beats. I can't give it above 3 stars without feeling bad, but truly, it's good.
June 11, 2014
Different/Not Bad/Kinda Liked.
June 10, 2014
Awesome movie for the kids! I could actually sit through it without my eyes glazing over.
May 7, 2014
68%

"It had to be lizards, why couldn't it be snakes?"-Hank Parsons (Dwayne Jonhson)
½ May 3, 2014
10/30 Deus ex machina at every step, a plot and a name like a MMORPG quest, no characterisation, nothing to do with its prequel ... the critical consensus is that it is a good film for neither young nor old; I just think it's a bad film.
April 20, 2014
Cumple con lo que tiene, y ofrece entretenimiento, pero su contenido, como bien dice el consenso, no es ni para niños ni para adultos. Si me pusiera filosófico diría que quiere poner a prueba nuestros miedos, pero no parece querer mostrarlo, y si lo hace, es con desgana. Ni interesa ni sugiere. Una lástima con la presencia de Dwayne Johnson y Michael Caine.
½ February 22, 2012
Rating: 5/10

There's an island alright, but not much mystery. Visual effects are efficient, but not effective. The Rock is out of his element. I can't explain the presence of Michael Caine. Nor Vanessa Hudgens, scampering around in a low-cut tank-top and khaki shorts...except maybe to distract the adults while the kids get, presumably, entertained.

Narrative: 1.5/3
Cast: 1.5/3
Aesthetics: 2/3
½ April 3, 2014
Actually was a little more entertaining than I expected. Was a little campy with some forced witty humour, but reasonably fun. Well paced, visually entertaining.
March 21, 2014
It's a little naff at times, and it caters to younger audiences, but my inner child totally comes to light here, I love Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, it is bloody good fun. The 3D is perfect, it brings to Island to life, rich landscape and animals float and poke out the screen and the island itself will take your breath away, this has to be seen in 3D, especially when The Rock bounces little cherries off his chest, which is hilarious. The conversion also adds to the excitement, dive into the Mysterious island and encounter giant bees, spiders and electric eels amongst an incredible CGI landscape. For a film that cost $79,00,000 the effects are very impressive. Although the scene with the bees looks very fake, you can't help but crack a smile watching Josh Hutcherson, Dwayne Johnson, Vanessa Hudgens, Michael Caine and Luiz Guzman sit on giant bees and watch them fly off. Journey 2 is a fun ride, there are scary creatures and the melding of real & CGI sets is impressive, the cast are all very funny who each deliver some smart one liners. It's one of those films that makes you smile as it's a pure light hearted fun adventure movie.
½ March 16, 2014
I only watch it for Vanessa Hudgens...
½ June 1, 2013
Mediocre. 5.3/10. C+.
March 2, 2014
Enjoyed a good family movie. But glad did not pay to see at movie theater. Rent or buy and watch at home to save some major bucks.
PantaOz
February 21, 2014
I just finished watching on my cable this science fiction adventure comedy directed by Brad Peyton. This is a sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth, and is based on another Jules Verne novel, this time The Mysterious Island. Very unusual cast stars Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine, Josh Hutcherson, Vanessa Hudgens, Luis Guzmán, and Kristin Davis. The story was written by Richard Outten, Brian Gunn and Mark Gunn, and the screenplay by Brian and Mark Gunn. This movie became a box office success with a worldwide gross of nearly $326 million, surpassing its predecessor, I think mainly because of the 3D technology.

The story is happening four years since the events of the first movie, and starts with the 18-year-old Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) involved in a chase with the police which ended with him driving into a swimming pool. His step-father Hank (Dwayne Johnson) arrives and later discovers that Sean had broken into a satellite research centre in order to boost the signal of a code he'd received by someone he suspects is Alexander Anderson, Sean's grandfather who had been missing for two years. Wanting to bond with his stepson the next day, Hank helps Sean decipher the code of Jules Verne and makes a map from the three books in the coded letter with the coordinates to its location. All they need to do now is to convince Sean's mother to let the both of them go in search of the island.

This is a film with very likable characters and actors in an adventure which could excite the younger audience, but not too exciting for the older. It is moving quickly but parts of the story almost seemed unrelated at some moments. Directing seemed done without any motivation... that doesn't mean it was bad, but wasn't very noticeable. If you want to spend a night with a family watching something which is semi-sweet and very colourful, give it a go!
February 23, 2014
Felt rushed. Like all the pieces fall together and then it's over. Just running from one thing to the next with no story.
½ February 27, 2013
Great family movie. Full of adventure and life lessons.
February 4, 2014
I WANT FULL MOVIES OF JOURNEY 2 THE Mysterious Island
January 31, 2014
It was a great movie. If you like adventure,Action and foolish Comedy, this movie is for you.