92% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Joy Division Reviews

Sarah G

April 19, 2008
One of the best and honest accounts of one of the most influential rock bands you're ever likely to see. Glad to see a documentary about Joy Division that focuses on the band themselves. Really really worth the watch!
gor41
gor41

September 1, 2008
Less accessible to newcomers to Joy Division than the estimable 'Control' but a treasure for fans with copious extras.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

July 7, 2008
A remarkably well made documentary about the band Joy Division, the city of Manchester and the music scene the sprung from there in the late 70's and which continues to be a vital source of talent and influence in the music industry today.

While I enjoyed this film immensely...I can't say that it is for everyone.

But if you have any interest in the bands Warsaw, Joy Division or New Order...or if you are a fan of the British music scene in general, you will no doubt find this a wonderful retrospective of not just an amazing band...but of an incredibly interesting and complex city as well.
Leanna E

May 25, 2008
Interesting documentary, even for a non-Joy Division fan like me. I liked how it was shot - the combination of past and present, and also how you got multiple different perspectives on the Ian Curtis story.
shawnmiller2
April 13, 2012
Good...interesting subject...had just seen the other two Joy Division related films...this was the least of the three...
February 15, 2009
A good look at the history of Joy Division from the perspective of the other guys in the band (New Order. Make a night of Joy Division. Watch this, then watch 2007's Control.
elziard
July 9, 2008
probably the best music doc i've seen. so complete, given the resorces. got all sad with tony wilson's parts(now deceased) and even peel(dead too). made me want rob gretton(yup, him too) to have told an anecdote or twelve. the extras are like an extra hour of the doc and enjoyable as well.
May 21, 2008
I loved this documentary. It really reminded me of how great Joy Division's music is and it was interesting to hear the bandmates talk about Ian Curtis' death...something I had never heard before and was rather moving because it STILL affects them all these years later.
happidevil
July 7, 2008
A great documentary that acts as an audio/visual history lesson and a great double feature to Anton Corbijn's "Control" [the biopic on Ian Curtis]. It was really fascinating to hear the story told by the guys [and then some]. And I must add, there is sort of a nerdy charm to Stephen Morris... and Hooky often comes across as kind of a tool...
June 8, 2008
Grea film which captures the life and times of Joy Division. Hearing the remaining members thoughts on their early years and the death of Ian Curtis was an insight into the difficulties of growing up in the cold and hard Manchester of the 1970s. See Control and then see this.
December 26, 2013
An insightful and revealing documentary that charts the rise of the band and the heartbreaking story of Ian Curtis, enhanced greatly by honest accounts from his fellow band members.
November 17, 2012
Aunque al principio parece un documental muy acad├ (C)mico, las reflexiones finales sobre la evoluci├│n de la ciudad, Manchester, y el impulso que Joy Division, Factory, The Ha├žienda y la escena musical le dieron a una ciudad en decadencia son quiz├í de las m├ís bellas que se han hecho nunca.
October 3, 2012
Beautiful tribute to a groundbreaking group with a tragic ending but a lasting legacy.
May 26, 2012
Of all Joy Division documentaries and movies, this one is by far the best directed.
April 14, 2012
It's a great dynamic, music documentary with a symbolic structure.
Risya
October 9, 2011
Joy Division fans will likely enjoy this, as I did,.. while those who isn't a fan already might find this a little bit unappealing. I appreciate the included video footage although it lack the quality given of what is available. The documentary is quite informative and provides excellent insight by those privileged enough to have known the band. I love the editing techniques and the abstract visuals to keep things interesting, without getting too artsy or defeating the purpose. However, this documentary didn't go that far beyond the context of the group or the music scene at the time.
June 16, 2011
Absolutely fantastic look at one of my favorite bands. Recomend this to all
March 11, 2011
I'd imagine I'm the only to rate this film, but honestly, it's a very insightful documentary on a band that almost could.
December 8, 2010
Great synopsis and inside look from the surviving band members of the punk movement in Manchester in the late 70's. Joy Division was about to hit really big when frontman/shaman Ian Curtis took his life in a bipolar nadir, just as they were set to embark on their first US tour. Watch it free on Hulu.
michael m.
November 20, 2008
hendrix,joplin,morrison,kobain and curtis. definitely one of the greats of our time.