Jude

86% The Knick: Season 1

Jude Reviews

Anthony L

September 29, 2009
A good Thomas Hardy adaptation, needless to say, don't expect a happy ending. This film is quite hard going but very good!
Jason O

September 13, 2009
Dry and a rather borefest, worth watching only for Kate Winslet's naked body.
Mark A

September 3, 2010
Only because of Kate Winslet do I round this up to four stars. One of the strongest actors working in film today, she is radiantly beautiful, even in this overpoweringly sad adaptation of Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy. This viewer felt as though this were the Cliff Notes version of Hardy's weighty tome. So much of this seemed glossed over, with Jude's (Christopher Eccleston) seduction by, marriage to, and separation from Arabella (Rachel Griffith) taking place in the first ten minutes. The whole film came off that way. Maybe this suffers from comparison to the last film this viewer watched (and reviewed) which chose an entirely different approach to a long novel and achieved a brilliant result. The defining tragedy here nearly broke this viewer's heart, but was telegraphed long before the actual events unfolded. Whether this was the fault of the filmmakers or is inherent to the novel is irrelevant. One wonders why this film had to be made. Still, it was nice to see both Rachel Griffith and Kate Winslet, even if the film was less than satisfactory.
Marion R

July 29, 2008
meh. It was really sad. the film felt squashed together and I felt that they made things difficult for themselves. It is very hard for me to believe that it would be this hard to be together.
iLeo
iLeo

May 30, 2007
A great movie!
June 13, 2006
On rewatching, this movie is better. Well acted and it captures the book it is based off of well. Winslet is always so fresh, beautiful, and talented...even in a movie this far back in years. It's a movie that very much captures a period of time and the society behind it. A very well put toegther film.
gwynfallan
January 29, 2008
An exceptionally well acted and scripted movie...that I just didn't like. Then again, I'm a happy endings Disney girl at heart.
oriongal23
November 27, 2007
yeah sick, kissing cousins.....even though it was weird that way, i liked it....but i'm not for that u know, it was just a sad story
merlinthemadsnazgul
August 9, 2007
I liked the actors in this one way better than in the bbc version, but I liked it less just because it was cut so much because it had to be at least 2 hours shorter.
bellarjewels1
May 7, 2007
Ok when you start to watch this it is all cool and well a cousin being with a cousin well you know i wouldnt but am not going to be apualed at the people that do. Well keep on watchin cause and especially if you have children this movie is horrific with no guts and really I dont remember seeing any blood.
February 14, 2007
Starts off way too slow and lacks substance. In 2 hours, very little actually happens. I didn't exactly feel a strong connection or care for Winslet and Eccleston either. The atmosphere is fine and it picks up a little in the end but still doesn't make this worth seeing.
ismise
January 2, 2007
You will be depressed at the end, there's no two ways about it. It's definitely bleak, but the performances are strong and the score is lovely.
December 11, 2006
Dull, then more dull, then naked Kate Winslet, then ridiculous, left-field plot twist, then non-ending. The ideal edit of this film would be 30 seconds long, and consist entirely of naked Kate.
December 8, 2013
Boring.

It continuously reminded me of Sons and Lovers which also bored me to tears. Maybe it was me not understanding the context or something, being in the wrong mood, or perhaps because I watched it when I was sick, but it just struck me as a bitter liberal polemic against some institution or idea it felt did them wrong. It felt like an exercise in instilling pity for someone being an outcast and making very poor decisions rather than a character study or even historic drama. The characters are outcast because they made such poor decisions and intentionally cut themselves off from people. Forgive this spoiler and forgive my poor taste, but I was laughing hysterically at the end because I knew that since everything was going OK again something drastic was going to happen. The whole things was so very predictable.

Maybe I have this reaction because it's hard for me to fathom the society that the story took place in but it was all I could do to stay awake.

To be fair the film had nice camera work, good acting, and a decent script, it just never rose above a well acted soup opera to me.
January 27, 2013
You like sad and tragic movie. Then watch this..
postglock
March 18, 2012
Yet more evidence that Winterbottom is one of the most diverse directors around. Fascinating film, and it certainly inspired me to read some Hardy, but the film was never really convincing for me. Most characters and relationships were simply not fleshed out enough, and their motivation was lacking. Probably a result of over-ambitious compression of the novel into a short-ish film, but perhaps it needed an extra hour or so.
April 10, 2012
A poor man from a small town in 19th century Britain who tries to break away from poverty and get an education meets problems at every turn. Kind of boring at times but comes to a horribly tragic end. Kate Winslet was superb.
July 5, 2011
I loved this. LOVED IT.
March 27, 2011
calm romantic yet impressing and convincing tragic drama