67% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Judge Dredd Reviews

Christian C

May 24, 2013
Terribly acted. The script was mindlessly drafted. There's little of note in this film other than how "m'eh" it was.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 18, 2007
silly and not quite consistent with the source material, but a ton of fun none the less. ive seen this film many times and i always enjoy it.
KJ P

September 21, 2012
The filmmakers did a lot of over-thinking while producing "Judge Dredd," because the view of the film is interesting, but the writing, the plot, the characters, and the one-liners are so bland that it just becomes tiresome and boring, even though it is only 96 minutes. Stallone usually chooses great films to star in, which make him look better than he actually is, but this film is a new low for his career. Honestly, if you are looking for anything remotely enjoyable, you will not find it here, unless you are drunk. "Judge Dredd" is one of the worst attempts at an Action/Sci-Fi that I have seen in a long time, it's awful!
Tyler R

September 19, 2012
With the possibility of a decent remake coming out Friday, I might as well watch the movie it's based off of. Sylvester Stallone stars as Judge Dredd, a character who is basically the best in the line of "judges" who have replaced the police in a futuristic world. The judges are also the jury and the executioner, but according to Stallone the judges are really just "THE LAW!" Most of the story is really just Dredd trying to clear his name after being falsely accused of a crime. The plot is simple, but the concept of terminator-like judges replacing the police is actually pretty interesting. Unfortunately, the movie doesn't really execute. The movie is based off of a series comics from what I understand and I've heard a lot of people say that this movie is nothing like the source material. To purists that would be their biggest complaint, but there's a lot wrong with the movie other than faithfulness to the comics. To start, the acting. Sylvester Stallone is normally a great actor when it comes to paying realistic characters who are likable, but once he's cast as an over-the-top character, you get an over-the-top performance. Most of his lines are really just him saying "LAWWWRRRR!" (He's suppose to be saying law, but I hear lawwwrrr) Rob Schneider is also in it and I think he's the one that Jar Jar Binks would pass the mantle to if he was forgotten. Schneider's character is really annoying and the only purpose he serves is to provide comic relief. His character is more or less dead weight. I also had a hard time being entertained by the action scenes in the movie. The special effects look dated and there's a lack of tension. There wasn't a moment in the film where I felt like the characters were really in danger. Most of the action is too goofy to take seriously and I can't help but feel little kids would get more joy out of this than me. When the movie all boils down to a really predictable climax, the end result is a movie that can only be described as over-the-top. There's a few other things than can be said about the movie, but I think that the reputation this movie has means that pointing out every single flaw would be pointless. The plot isn't executed with any care, it's overacted, the action lacks in any fun or tension, the characters are ridiculous and it just fails at being entertaining. The only good thing about the movie was the set design, but the appeal doesn't last too long. The movie does suck, so a remake is clearly justified.
Everett J

September 5, 2012
With the remake "Dredd 3D" coming out in a few weeks, I figured I would revisit the original. I remember this being one of those bad Stallone movies that's forgettable. Well, nearly 20 years later it's instead one of those "So bad it's good" Stallone movies. The premise is exactly what you would expect from a Stallone movie. He plays Judge Dredd, a futuristic cop in Mega City who is judge, jury, and executioner. When he's framed for murder, he is banished from the force, and then he comes back to reclaim his badge and uphold the law. Armand Assante is the lead villain, and he is laughably perfect as that over the top bad guy. Hell, the movie features Rob Schneider as a sidekick of sorts. I'm sure the new movie is nothing like this, at least I hope not. If you want a good laugh at something that is dated, yet still entertaining then give this another look.
Christopher H

June 23, 2012
"I'm da Law!"

As an adaptation of the Judge Dredd comics it is a failure but as popcorn action flick, it is not the worst. Once you get past the fact that this is really more of a typical Stallone vehicle than a Judge Dredd movie, it becomes a pretty enjoyable dumb fun flick. The story is a festival of action cliches and some of the performances are really over-the-top (especially Stallones). However, the "Blade Runner"-like sets are enjoyably cheesy and their is a good amount of unintentional laughs to be found. The way Stallone muddles his lines when shouting is truly hysterical. The action is pretty good and some of the supporting cast members manage to give the movie some credibility (Diane Lane, Max von Sydow). Although the addition of Rob Schneider as Dredd's comic relief buddy is pretty lame and didn't serve any purpose to the plot. Is this a good film, absolutely not, but it is a fun movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 20, 2012
Pure popcorn flick from start to finish, Danny Cannon's Judge Dredd is an underrated action film starring Sylvester Stallone. Lacking a truly interesting story, Judge Dredd does deliver great action that is designed to thrill the viewer. If you love Sly's films, then give this film a shot. I very much liked the film, felt it was a fun mindless actioner that was too easily dismissed when originally released. If you want a fun action film, definitely check this one out. I very much enjoyed the film and thought it was better than what most people have claimed it to be. There is room for improvement such as the part of Rob Schneider, which is horrible; and he proves he can't act whatsoever. Even with that in mind the strength of this film lies in the top notch action scenes that deliver the thrills. Judge Dredd is a flawed film, but by no means does it deserve the flack it has received over the years. The film is fun, moves along at a fast pace and is meant to be a mindless popcorn action film, which it succeeds very well at doing. If you enjoy a fun, mindless action film, Judge Dredd is that film. Expect a decent story with top-notch action, and you won't be disappointed. This is an underrated flick that will appeal to action buffs everywhere, just shut your brain off and enjoy. This may not be Sly's best work, but it definitely isn't his worst film. Give it a shot, it's exhilarating from start to finish, my only real complaints are Schneider and that the film felt like they were trying to pack way too much in its hour and thirty minute run time. This should have been a two hour flick. Still a fun ride.
michael e.
michael e.

May 8, 2011
Its bad story wise, but its very entertaining action wise and hammy acting wise
Marc L.
Marc L.

April 19, 2011
This movie proves that no matter how good a film is directed, horrible acting will bring it down. It's really hard to imagine that the star of Rocky (One of my favorite films) could really act so badly in this movie. But we'll get to him later. Let's start with the positive.

This movie is pretty horrible, but there was some good. The directing was nice, and the plot was pretty cool too. The special affects were right up there with the new Star Wars movies. Danny Cannon obviously really cared about this story, and did everything in his ability to try and make it good. I loved the fight scenes too.

Now that we got through the good, let's go to the bad. There isn't a single actor who did a good job in this film. Armand Asante and Stallone were particulary bad. They overracted to the point I thought they were having a heart attack. And why is it they can't say the word "law" like a normal person? Who knows. This movie also tries way to hard to be funny, but it just turned out to be uncomfortable. Like the scene where Stallone has to steal one of the Judges clothes to sneak in. Don't ask. it's a long and uncomfortable story.

There wasn't a single character in the movie that wasn't annoying. The sidekick was annoying, Dredd was annoying, Rico was annoying, Hershey was annoying (Yes, there is a character named Hershey) they are ALL annoying.

Bottom line, this is a pretty bad movie. Not High School Musical bad, but a bad movie none the less. The good news is, they are planning a reboot in 2012 that should be much better.
Apeneck F

March 7, 2011
Only for those rainy days you lose your job, your girlfriend moves in with your best friend ... and your dog wants to go with her.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 8, 2010
2 stars
Phil H

February 18, 2008
This could of been so good and like Batman needs a re-imagining now. There are some nice touches here, the robots, the outfits, the cannibal baddies, MegaCity effects and the clones are all good looking but the acting and violence are way way too low, Scheider is just dreadful. Made for the kiddies again,
this needs to be dark, brooding, mega violent and hard as nails.
TheGame90
TheGame90

December 21, 2007
Man I got to the only one who likes this crap...
deano
deano

October 30, 2006
What's worse is that Sylvester Stallone's 1993 sci-fi action flick Demolition Man, managed to capture the humour and totalitarian feeling far better than Judge Dredd ever did. And in the British 2000 AD comic book, Dredd shouldn't dare be seen in his face while taking his helmut off.
Based on British's 2000 AD comic book created by John Wagner, Carlos Ezquerra and Pat Mills.
Conner R

May 3, 2010
Such a terrible movie, but it is so incredibly bad that it turns into a pretty enjoyable experience. I actually feel really bad for Sylvester Stallone because he really did try and under better direction and screen writing, he would be the Judge Dredd I love from 2000 A.D. Much like Tank Girl, there was not enough attention to detail and awareness of how to bring such a sci-fi oriented story to screen. This butchers the source material and turns Mega City into a fairytale land that is just sad to watch. This rivals Joel Schumacher's rendition of Batman.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 23, 2007
Haven't seen it in a long time, but I don't recall loving it.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 19, 2009
As much I am Silver Stallone Fan, I have to admit this Movie was bad! I was so excited when it was released I was so excited and then the huge dissapointment.
Anthony L

September 28, 2009
I'm a big fan of the original Judge Dredd comics, so I was really excited about this one until I saw it. It was crap. How dare you, you bastards, did you even read 2000 AD? One star for the make-up but that?s it! Dredd-ful!
Jon L

September 16, 2009
Can't totally remember this one. I thought it was fun in the theatre.
Luke B

October 28, 2008
Hilariously bad. The kind of film that only the 90's could have produced. It's clear to see everybody was suffering from CGI induced orgasmic spasms. A lot of care has gone in to constructing the sets and costumes but it still feels dated and shots are cramped with the budget obviously blown on some opening and closing cityscape shots. It tries to handle ethics but would much rather give funny lines to Rob Schneider (who I'm sure inspired Jar Jar Binks). Dredd wears his helmet for about 5 minutes of the movie and it's obviously been cut to shit. The clones are awakened at the end and then...nothing. We never see them again, not even in a sequel teasing post credits moment. Some of the worst lines in movie history are here not to mention some terrible acting. Just try not to laugh as Stallone and Assante see who can shout "LAW" the loudest. Luckily Diane Lane looks amazing and the score isn't too bad. It's the kind of film that is fun especially when drunk, such as Street Fighter or Super Mario Brothers.