Judgment Night Reviews

August 30, 2012
Back when Dennis Leary wasn't really well known (to me at least) he made quite the intimidating bad guy in this semi decent thriller. Since then he became much bigger and for me this menacing image faded somewhat. He was no longer some random psycho but a famous face on a comedy sitcom.

Other cast members include the once big time thing Emilio Estevez, Cuba Gooding Jr who seems to fade in and out of the limelight, Stephen Dorff who also tends to have a roller coaster career and Jeremy Piven who is one of these actors I dunno what genre he belongs in, but he can't do any.

The film is simply about a group of regular guys that get lost when they stray off the highway in their RV. They end up witnessing a murder and having the killers on their tales trying to whack them.

Simple yet effective, or it can be, and this just about does the trick. Its a bit weird though frankly, the area they get lost in seems to be an almost deserted ghost town with not a living sole on the streets or any cars what so ever. You'd be forgiven for thinking they have strolled into some kind of alternative dimension and the film is a fantasy of sorts.

The film is tense in spots but not really that worrying, you know nothing will happen to most of these guys and obviously all the bad guys will bite the dust. The film looks pretty good though, very dark, bleak, heavy shadows, empty abandoned looking buildings everywhere and plenty of trash blowing in the wind. Its just really odd that the good guys are completely unable to get themselves out of this nasty area haha all they gotta do is follow a main road surely.

I suppose you could call it artistic license huh the lifeless streets and area. Hopkins certainly does a good job on the visuals and manages to make a reasonable thriller despite casting Gooding in a lead role. A nice sensible turn on 'The Warriors' if you like but its quite tame now and the ending for Leary's character is weak.
December 27, 2009
Denis Leary's portrayal of a deadly gang leader is a perfect example of playing the "oppposite" with his dry sense of humor, and that hard to distinguish smile. Definately someone who deserves much more credit as an actor.
The film consists of four friends on their way to a boxing match that get caught in gang-land as they get off the freeway in hope of a quicker route to their destination. All hell breaks loose when they believe they hit a young man who they bring aboard their RV to help, but learn that help is something devoid in this particular area.
FilmFanatik
April 27, 2007
Often overlooked, this cat-and-mouse thriller, I always thought, was very well executed.
sanjurosamurai
January 22, 2007
a ggod flick about guys running around at night
March 13, 2006
I liked this movie because it envolves scared white people.
weelee18
March 21, 2009
not bad..
½ November 10, 2010
A blast from the past! This is one of my all time favorites. It had the thrill, the suspense, and the intensity that one would expect to see from a top notch thriller. Everyone put on a magnificent performance and this is one to be watched over and over again. This movie will keep you on the edge of your seat and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
½ March 13, 2008
I randomly caught this film from about the middle about, oh, I don't know 12-14 years ago when it first hit cable. I meant to see it from the beginning ever since. I don't really know why--usually I am struck by the urge in such situations when someone says something that alludes to an interesting or unexpected beginning. Perhaps I just wanted to know how these characters had gotten themselves into this mess.

Basically, this is the story of four friends--Francis "Frank" Wyatt (Emilio Estevez), Mike Petersen (Cuba Gooding, Jr.), Ray Cochran (Jeremy Piven) and Frank's brother John (Stephen Dorff)--who are heading to a fight in Chicago in an RV that Ray has finagled out of a dealer to "test drive" for his nonexistent company. Frank's wife is suspicious of their actual intentions and reluctant to let her husband leave the home with his immature friends while she stays home with their newborn daughter. Frank argues his way into it and off they go, a more ridiculous RV yet to be seen carrying them into town until expressway traffic stalls them dead pm the way. A neighboring vehicle almost inspires a fight with hotheaded John, but Frank holds him back and the rather badassed Mike defuses the temper of the man they are arguing with. As a result. Ray decides they should take a "shortcut" around the traffic and wanders into the projects of Chicago. A near miss with a pedestrian who turns out to be shot leads them into conflict with Fallon (Denis Leary), a local druglord, who abhors thieves, liars--and witnesses. The rest is a fastpaced chase for survival on the part of the friends and "clean up" for Fallon and his gang.

I know what most intrigued me about the film (I know I recognized Emilio at the time, but I'm not sure about the rest) was the presence of a villainous Denis Leary. Leary was still known as a comedian at that time, which I've since heard him say was his method of "lateral entry" into the acting business,* and this was one of his earlier--if not his earliest--serious role. Well, debatabely--Fallon is as smartassed as Leary himself, but is no less threatening for this fact. Still, he's a menacing, homicidal and vaguely psychopathic presence, which is, zingers or no, a far cry from the comedic role he was known for otherwise. Frank is the rather subdued, adult and mature of the gang--intentionally--and Emilio's performance is lowkey as a result. Occasionally even a little iffy, but nothing distracting. Mike is, well, this is before Cuba flushed his career and everyone's opinion of him down the toilet. He has that wild-eyed energy and bravery masking cowardice down pat, and I recognized that slack-jawed far-off look from a key moment in his later performance in What Dreams May Come--which is not to say he seems mired in the same character, but rather that he knows the business of that, and he knows that's how he can play that particular role. It works, and that's what matters. His arrogance and actual bravery earlier in the movie are of the kind that one finds endearing in movies (though likely irritating in reality)--at least so long as he is a "good guy," which he is here. Dorff is given the least to work with as "the younger brother" but does quite well anyway. Finally, we have Piven as Ray, who is only now getting his due as a fast-talking sleaze sort who can still be charming. He's early on that character kick here, as the negotiator of the bunch, the one who talks big but obviously has little to back it up and collapses when actual threats begin to appear, constantly feeling he can't keep up and reacting wildly when backed into a corner.

I know exactly where I came into this movie at least a decade ago, and that's during Ray's scene of negotiation with Fallon and his gang. Director Stephen Hopkins puts together a great popcorn action flick (I'm not a fan of that term, as I hate to use terms that imply artistic inferiority when they are not intended to relate to "artistic" films in the first place, but it works and most people would know what I mean by it) and that scene is unbelievably tense even now. The only real dents in the film are a rather intrusive score (Alan Silvestri?! What?! How did he do this silliness?!)--when the friends first find themselves being chased, the music is ridiculously clichéd and incongruous in terms of energy, feeling completely out of place where it appears, and a few horn bleats for shock stings at moments of theoretical surprise are also somewhat annoying. And, of course, there's a certain air of familiarity in almost any action film that is tough to overcome, and a good star is necessary. Emilio's passable performance drains some energy, though Cuba, Piven and Leary tend to do their best to bring it back up.

All said, though, it's a nicely suspenseful movie, one that doesn't really take any ridiculous mis-steps--usually the kiss of death for an action movie--or suffer poor editing. It's nothing I'd immediately throw out to people, but it's a good choice if you want an entertaining story of uptown folk caught where they are not prepared to be and fighting for their lives.

*Perhaps explaining his uncomfortable tendency to steal Bill Hicks gags. It's debated, but that's really a joke. Leary is dodgy about discussing it, pretends it didn't happen--but that just makes him seem even more guilty, if you ask me. Mind you, I remain a fan of Leary--but more for his acting, which is sort of okay with me if he insists the comedy was to get him into that. But I digress. Severely. Nevermind.
July 8, 2007
A well casted, high tension thriller of a group of people out of their element and being hunted. Denis Leary is excellent as the villain.
½ April 12, 2007
You know the movie is bad when more people buy the soundtrack than go see the flick. GREAT SOUNDTRACK...like a preview of the future of music.
February 24, 2015
Obviously not to be bothered with reality or technical direction this movie is absurd and unbelievable in the worst way. The bad guys are miraculously beam themselves off a roof with no ladder after it is thrown off the roof, and track the group where ever they go as if they had some amazing tracking abilities. Stephen Hopkins what were you thinking?
Robbanflix
December 29, 2006
Great movie about some guys on their way for a boxing match and they taking a another way to make it in time. But they get witness to a killing and now they being chased from the killers in some empty/poor town. Denis Leary play one of the villian here and he makes it great. Overall nice movie !
December 1, 2014
This movie drew me in and kept me on the edge of my seat!! It's a little cheesy at times and has graphic violence but is a gripping adventure
November 13, 2014
One of my favorite movies as a kid although it didnt do that great at the box office if i remember correctly but the budget was prob high because of all the known actors. Dennis Leary a comedian was popular back then for his angry tv rants on mtv is the bad guy. I think it was a good mix to see him play that role because comedians arent very known for playing bad guy roles, and even back then comedians were just usually comedians. It also stars the singer from the rap band "House Of Pain" as Dennis's sidekick. The movie takes you on a journey through a abandoned ghetto with alot of little interesting spots. I always wonder if they are real areas or made in a studio. There is alot of good famous actors in this movie including cuba gooding and emilio estevez. Its kinda alot of suspense mixed with action.
August 26, 2013
An underrated edge of your seat thriller that sets apart from all thrillers. It's one of my favorite films of Emilio Estevez playing a newly wed husband who must survive an unfortunate run in with a drug lord (played remarkably by Denis Leary).
½ September 13, 2014
Watched the trailer and was tricked into such a butchery of the human sense which was this puke of a movie.
October 31, 2013
Great film for guys- A coming of age story based over a single night. A group of fairly middle class gentlemen go on a trip to see a boxing match, but things quickly go wrong, after they take a wrong turn and witness a murder. They are soon perused by criminals and eventually are forced to fight for their lives, which leads them to question what is important to them and how 'tough' they are compared to some local gangsters they come across.
One of the characters is a young hot head who wants to take on the world, however he soon realises the best muscle he can use is his brain and not his fists. This theme runs throughout the film where all the characters have decide whether physical force or smarts is the best way to outwit the criminals who are after them, mostly concluding that they can outsmart the bad guys but will eventually have to kill or be killed. Excellent star cast; Emilio Estevez, Cuba Gooding Jr and Dennis Lerrey all excel in their perspective characters.
The most interesting theme I took from the film was that- when we are young we are more eager to settle arguments with physical force, however as we get older we mellow out and learn to control ourselves in the face of provocation and that our brain is the biggest asset to escape danger.
October 4, 2013
Formulaic drivel. Absurd storyline, cliched dialogue and one-dimensional characterisation.
April 20, 2013