Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer Reviews

LWOODS04
½ March 30, 2012
Cast: Jordana Beatty, Heather Graham, Parris Mosteller, Preston Bailey, Kristoffer Ryan Winters, Garrett Ryan, Jaleel White, Ashley Boettcher, Taylar Hender, Cameron Boyce, Jenica Bergere, Janet Varney

Director: John Schultz

Summary: In this family film based on Megan McDonald's children's books about never-dull third-grader Judy Moody, the capricious Miss Moody embarks on a summer adventure with her brother, Stink, and always-up-for-fun Aunt Opal.

My Thoughts: "This one was definitely meant for the kids only. I didn't find the film funny at all and the main character is annoying. I'm not even sure if kids who are fans of the books will enjoy it. I know my nieces and nephew only laughed a few times. I think this is one of the worse kid flicks I've seen in a while. Nothing more to say about this one.."
December 16, 2011
Proof that I will literally watch any movie, because I love movies. On my trip to Ohio I was bored and had a copy of this on DVD with me, so I watched it. I was hoping for something similar to "Diary of a wimpy Kid" or "Ramona and Beezus". While alike in tone, this just doesn't have the charm, story, or character of those movies. This is really geared towards kids(explains why I don't like it), and there isn't much here for adults. It's about a girl named Judy(Jordana Beatty) and her desire to have the best summer ever. She has a contest with her friends to see who can do the most thrilling dares, while her little brother searches for Bigfoot. Heather Graham plays their Aunt Opal who watches them over the summer break. All the performances are over the top(to be expected), and other than the little brother, I didn't care for any of the characters. However, I think kids will love it and be thoroughly entertained. So let the kiddies watch this, while you watch something more grown up.
½ June 18, 2011
a crazy diary of a wimpy kid wanabe, but won't actually live up to it expectations and full of zany gross-out humor, and won't support its original bases of the books, but will entertain 4 to 6 year olds. C
Angel G.
½ June 10, 2011
It tells us how younge kids compete in to having the best summer, so its a playful movie for kids, but since im older I dont find these kind of movies really funny, its like Diary Of A Wimpy Kid (not the 2nd one, its too much better), but less disgusting. This movie will excite kids, but older people or adults wont find it funny or fasinating.
½ December 28, 2015
I was a kid when I saw this movie, and when I was a kid I would be fine with watching grass blow in the wind. I wasn't a critic of movies at all, I liked them all. Except this one. I hated this movie.
August 23, 2012
ONE SENTENCE REVIEW: The only living cells that I can imagine would be even remotely entertained by this excuse to blow 20 million dollars I would say are too young to attend the cinema yet.
December 24, 2013
Here it is, the ultimate king of bad films. I was a little scared to admit I even saw it, so that's why I always said my least favorite movie is Tokyo Drift. However, I am now admitting I saw this. And it was the worst movie ever...period.

If they remove the word "not" in the title, it would almost live up to it's name. They just have to change "bummer" to worst and "summer" to movie. Voila! Judy Moody and the Worst Movie. The fact this didn't get ONE Razzie makes me think that I should control the Razzie noms. It would also make Tokyo Drift get some noms, but of course, that got away, and got nominated for the Teen's Choice Awards.

Final Score for the movie title above (the title is so long and annoying): -74578435897543897543987543897453897894537984573783579835987/10

I think that the number would give you a good idea on how much I hated this...
½ January 30, 2013
...*sigh* Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer is terrible. Just terrible. This is the most kid-targeted movie I've ever seen, really! It feels like the film's literally written by kids, using terms as "thrilladelic" and "uber-awesome". It's not funny, too targeted for kids, and, quite frankly, embarrassing.
Based on the somewhat popular kids' book series, Judy Moody isn't all that moody, just a brat. Summer is coming and she doesn't want it to be boring, but all of her friends are doing "cool" things like going to circus camp and some fictional tropical island (Yes, these are actual summer plans featured in the film). Judy gets upset over this while her parents go off to Florida to care for a dying relative. Their Aunt Opal (Heather Graham) watches them, but watches them for the ENTIRE summer. Judy's parents watch over this relative for an entire three months! Opal is kinda weird, she's a guerilla artist who acts like a 10 year-old. She reminds me of Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka portrayal, only not as annoying and the fact that Graham is hot makes the film a lot better. Anyway, Judy tries to make the summer fun with "fun points", as one is rewarded with 10 fun points every time a thrill is done. These thrills include a crapload of slapstick scenes, including riding a roller coaster, seeing a scary movie, and tight roping, all ruined by Judy's nerdy friend Frank. The subplot of the movie is about Judy's little brother Stink, who won't give up on proving Bigfoot is real by catching him. Judy is a non-Bigfoot believer but when she realizes that if she catches him, she will be famous, she and Stink try to catch him, which is the main story of the last 40 or so minutes. ANOTHER subplot is that Judy and Frank try to find their teacher, Mr. Todd, who says during the summer he will be going someplace cold (which turns out he works at an ice cream shop during the summer.
This is bad. Very bad. It's a ripoff of the successful Diary of a Wimpy Kid films, only for girls instead of boys. And let me tell you, Judy Moody is nothing but girly. It's not funny, not entertaining, and, man, is it for kids. That rounds it up, I guess. 'Nuff said.
July 12, 2012
Over blown with annoying characters and obnoxious crap flying across the screen.
May be entertaining to little kids, but not for people over the age of 8.
June 4, 2012
I'm unfamiliar with this book series, but the movie is about what I expected of a typical kids' film. It's cutesy with plenty of kid-friendly action, but really not something the adults can enjoy too. There's just not enough plot, and not enough heart. This isn't terrible, but it doesn't stand out amongst some of the other outstanding family films that have been released in recent years.
February 21, 2012
Idk about this one...one the upside it was a cute movie, and heather grahm shinned as the fun and artsy aunt. on the downside every one was too obsessed with their characters and over did them, but what do you expect from a childrens movie now a days, gross, un funny terribleness and its not that much different in this diary of a wimpy kid ramona cross over
March 27, 2012
The kids and I (minus Mom) just got back from this movie. I would say IGNORE THE CRITICS. The movie is exactly the way it is billed - its a movie based on the Judy Moody books. If you go in expecting exactly that, you won't be disappointed. My 10-yr-old daughter and 7-yr old son LOVED it. I thought it was very entertaining, and well done overall. Very appropriate for all ages. If you have a fan of the books in your house, you will love this move.
June 15, 2011
A very cute and funny movie. I'd highly recommend this for everyone in the family, and especially anyone with kids :)
½ March 14, 2012
Not very good it was on Netflix instant stream so I watched it was pretty bad it had some animation moments but still it was a movie to get on a redbox.
½ February 25, 2012
Definitely not worth your time, and a child's time either. Sure the animated dream sequences are kind of cute and clever, and trying to identify the washed up actors does keep you from tearing your eyes out, but children's entertainment deserves better!
February 24, 2012
My expectations were met for this movie, however my expectations were very low. Granted this movie was made for kids it may have been a better watch if I were five or six years old. This was cute I'll give it that, but the actors seemed to overact which made it lose its touch. The whole plot about having a points system to have a great summer was original, but when you make a movie out of it, it can be just plain boring. Again, it doesn't help that I'm way to old for this sort of movie, but some films like be for numerous age groups and this just doesn't happen to be one of them.
½ January 18, 2012
THIS IS DOG CRAP JUST PLAIN OUT DOG CRAP! EVERY SINGLE LINE SAID IN THIS MOVIE IS LIKE A KICK TO MY FACE! THE STORY, CHARACTERS, SCREENPLAY, EVERYTHING IS JUST HORRIBLE!!! THIS MOVIE IS ONE OF THE WORST EVER MADE!!!!!!!! IT IS JUST A RETARDED AND UNFUNNY MOVIE!!!!!!
½ December 29, 2011
(1 1/2 Stars) Not to sound mean, but I'm not joking when I say Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer is for kids with Attention Deficit Disorder. It makes Diary of a Wimpy Kid look subtle and understated. This movie exists in some frightening Terry Gilliam-esque world with bright colors and disturbingly happy people. It's over-edited and over-directed, complete with odd camera angles and barely any scene establishment. Honestly, there's not a whole lot to comment on it because I don't remember there being a story. There's no memorable characters, even before you watch it, you know it's going to be stupid, and this movie's made for kids (and I'm assuming by kids) so whatever. Usually I won't fault a family film for being harmless, but I think Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer can cause harm to an adult's senses and make a child's hyperactivity disorder worse.
December 26, 2011
I'm glad i went with my instincts and watched this during the day. Few mild chuckes, but other than that, the only redeeming quality of this film was staring at Heather Graham for an hour and twenty minutes. I think I'll be all right without this blu-ray. My grade: D