Sam Raimi Dragging Ellen Page to Hell

Director's genre homecoming gets It Girl lead.

Now that all those Hobbit rumors are out of the way, Sam Raimi can get started on his next thriller -- and with Ellen Page keeping him company, to boot.

Variety reports that Page -- currently riding high on her Oscar-nominated turn in Juno -- has signed on to topline Drag Me to Hell, the Ghost House production Raimi is set to direct from a script he wrote with his brother Ivan. As discussed here in December, Hell is "described as a morality tale about the unwitting recipient of a supernatural curse." The picture is set to be released by Universal, and the studio's chairmen, Marc Shmuger and David Linde, couldn't be happier:

"Sam Raimi's return to horror is a cause for celebration. Having Ellen Page onboard to star is an abundance of riches."

Drag Me to Hell marks the second high-profile project Page has signed on for this year; she also recently committed to Whip It, the story of a teen roller derby star that will mark Drew Barrymore's directorial debut.

Source: Variety

Comments

Stathis Borans

Adam Miros

I'm a Bruce Campbell away from excitement.

Feb 11 - 06:24 AM

Xavier Telouran

Drew Demorotski

A script Sam wrote with his brother Ivan? Geez, did Avi Arad remember to tell him to throw in Venom too?

Well, I GUESS we can give those two a second chance, since I still hold to my conspiracy theory that Raimi tanked Spidey 3 after Arad spent too much time meddling. So here's your shot at redemption, and you move closer to the mark adding her, I think.

Feb 11 - 07:14 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

Just the fact that Sam & Ivan wrote another horror movie is a move closer to the mark. Just because Spidey 3 was mediocre doesn't make Raimi an automatic hack. Evil Dead? Spidey 1 & 2?

Feb 11 - 07:33 AM

FireflyFan4evr

Steven Johnson

Raimi is an immediate hack BECAUSE of Spidey 1 & 2, and especially for Evil Dead (all of them except Army of Darkness, which was kinda cool). I'll probably get lambasted for this, but I find it strange how I'm the only person that hates the first two Spidey flicks and Evil Dead's (I've never seen Spiderman 3).

However, this project actually looks kinda cool- maybe back to a Darkman level of filmmaking.

Feb 11 - 08:58 AM

jack giroux

Its understandable for some people to not like S1 and S2 to, I think Spiderman is something you either like or dont like. S3 was pretty good, S2 was great, S3 was mediocre.

Feb 11 - 10:23 AM

Herberbaly

Greg White

I agree with you FireFlyFan. All of the Spidey flicks were pretty damn terrible. There really isn't a whole lot of redeeming qualities in those flicks, unless you include horrible acting, a hideous looking Kirsten Dunst, and special f/x that look like something out of a DTV movie. I hate all the Spider-Man movies, and so should everyone else.

Feb 11 - 11:16 AM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

your a stupid bastard!

Feb 11 - 11:48 AM

Idiot_Savant

Seth Estrada

Grammatically speaking, it's actually, "You're a stupid etc., etc." and writing the possessive 'your' sort of lessens the impact...

Feb 11 - 03:21 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Please die.

Feb 11 - 11:29 AM

FireflyFan4evr

Steven Johnson

Just because something is the popular opinion, doesn't make it right. Refer to Dilbert's Principle.

Feb 11 - 12:50 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

No it doesn't but it invalidates your OPINION, because it is exactly that, YOUR OPINION. Now the fact that Raimi is held in such high regard, or is praised in so many other people's opinions, then what you are trying to say about him being a hack is completely false outside of your own opinion because the majority of opinions is against you.

As for Spider-man I can attempt an explanation at why so many people loved them. A lot of people love and enjoy Spider-man, the movie form of Spider-man was a completely faithful adaptation (comic book cheese and self righteousness included). It succeeded at being a faithful adaptation of the comic as well as being a summer blockbuster, 3 times! SO, whether you find it strange or not is ultimately irrelevant.

And no, just because something is popular opinion does not make it "right", but you are not arguing some moral dilemma or ethical issue, you are talking about the popularity of a movie in the mainstream. More people liked it than disliked A LOT MORE. It was a commercial success because not only did it really pioneer the comics to movies movement in Hollywood, but it did it in a way that people loved. Your opinion still stands, albeit without any credibility other than yours and a handful of other people's feelings.

Feb 11 - 06:38 PM

jack giroux

Hey are you Bruce Cambell? If so you're ausome!

Feb 11 - 02:29 PM

jack giroux

Everyone makes some bad movies, Raimi (The Gift). I didnt think S3 was bad, it just wasnt that good. I hope he comes back to do S4 so badly.

Feb 11 - 07:37 AM

jack giroux

I also think this will be cool, Cambell better have a part in this! I'm glad he's not doing THE HOBBIT, I'm soo happy that DEL TORO is doing it!

Feb 11 - 07:39 AM

Steven Johnson

Feb 11 - 12:50 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Feb 11 - 06:38 PM

jack giroux

Hey are you Bruce Cambell? If so you're ausome!

Feb 11 - 02:29 PM

jack giroux

Finnaly Sam Raimi is going back to horror(The Evil Dead series was ausome).

Feb 11 - 07:35 AM

DaHypr1

Jim Huete

agreed. one bad movie and he gets shunned off the face of the earth? i still hold him in high respects with what he did with the first two spidey films and yes with the evil dead films. hes awesome in my book and im looking forward to this

Feb 11 - 07:36 AM

Feb 11 - 07:37 AM

Feb 11 - 07:39 AM

Product_of_You

Steven Edwards

I actually really liked The Gift. I love Sam Raimi's direction, but him and Ivan's writing is pretty rough, which kinda deminishes hope for a new Raimi flick.

Feb 11 - 08:19 AM

BrianInSD

Brian Gaul

It's nice to see Raimi return to directing something without the word "Spider-Man" in the title. He's been away for too long.

Feb 11 - 08:54 AM

Steven Johnson

Feb 11 - 12:50 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Feb 11 - 06:38 PM

jack giroux

Hey are you Bruce Cambell? If so you're ausome!

Feb 11 - 02:29 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Yeah, it's been 8 years since Raimi last made a non-Spidey film.

It'll be nice to see him redeem himself with a small budget horror and get back to his roots. Ellen Page is also a plus and it means chicks too not just Raimi and horror fanboys will come out to see.

Feb 11 - 09:03 AM

Xavier Telouran

Drew Demorotski

I wasn't saying the man can't direct. I'm just saying he shouldn't write his own stuff. Spidey one was done largely by David Koepp, and 2 was a conglomeration of 4 writers including Alvin Sargent and the guys behind Smallville. Granted, Alvin did return on 3, but I think he was already working with a turkey, so who really cares if it gobbled? Again, I blame most of that on too many cooks in the kitchen and merely say it was a step back, not a "shun from the face of the earth."

And he's still not as bad as George Lucas. Just so we're clear...

Feb 11 - 09:13 AM

Feb 11 - 10:23 AM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

"Written with his brother Ivan."

lol, oh my god. You might as well advertise a room a retarded howler monkees with finger paint smeared it on a wall. The only halfway decent Spider-Man movie was one, by Koepp. Spider-Man III and, everyone, II, are ridiculous scripts. Plot holes. Bad dialogue. Phoney motivations.

"Punch me, I bleed!" If only I could, Raimi's. If only I could.

Feb 11 - 10:36 AM

lestatthevampire

Tyler D

Spidey 1 was good? Talk about a bad script! The green goblin was a horrible intro villain. He looked like one of those shiny godzilla dolls that you wind up and sparks shot out of his mouth. Onlythe acting by dafoe was so bad that sparks shot out of his ***. Bad movie. Redeemed in 2 with a good villain and good actor.

Feb 11 - 02:07 PM

Steven Johnson

Feb 11 - 12:50 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Feb 11 - 06:38 PM

jack giroux

Hey are you Bruce Cambell? If so you're ausome!

Feb 11 - 02:29 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Yeah, the first two Spider-man movies both have 90% here, and the third is still fresh. Plus 99.99% of people loved the first two.

So your opinion fails.

Feb 11 - 11:31 AM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

Yes. Because nothing says "quality" like a lot of people liking something!!! N'Sync! Dancing with the Stars! And yes, Spider-Man movies. You're ridiculous. Go be a sheep somewhere else.

Feb 11 - 11:44 AM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

your a stupid bastard!

Feb 11 - 11:48 AM

Idiot_Savant

Seth Estrada

Feb 11 - 03:21 PM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

Its not just regular people liking the Spiderman movies (which to the movie studios, is all that matters) but critics all liked Spiderman 1 & 2, and at least over 1/2 liked three to some degree.

So, "I Am Remote", if its not the people, or the critics that judge the quality of a film, . . . who exactly is it? You? I somehow doubt you have some wisdom, that us other post-ers, the majority of critics, and the general public, don't have.

Feb 11 - 11:52 AM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies