Juno Leads Independent Spirit Winners...And Gains Momentum For Oscar Gold

Summary

The little teen pregnancy movie that could made a last-minute surge towards tomorrow's Oscars as Juno won three of its four Independent Spirit Award categories during Saturday's event. The full list of winners inside. Back to Article

Comments

RustyStardust

Rusty Stardust

Look. Juno was a charming movie. It was really fun and sweet and well written and acted. But, Best Picture? Against such timeless classics as 'There Will be Blood' and 'No Country for Old Men'?! Laughable. They're highly structured, multilayered and complex films. Juno is just a more balanced, nuanced and humane version of Napolean Dynamite. Besides, winning at the Independent Spirit Awards means NOTHING to the Oscars. Momentum?! The Oscars are voted on way in advance. The Indepenent Spirit Awards have NEVER been a reflection of the Oscars. Just because a film has good box office, doesn't mean it should be Best Picture. By that argument, 'Wild Hogs' should be in the running...

Feb 24 - 08:23 AM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Exactly.

Feb 24 - 12:31 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Exactly.

Feb 24 - 12:33 PM

Ecs5001

Eric Stewart

Juno was one of the best films I've seen all year. Not as funny as expected, but it was really charming, touching, and had a beautiful ending. Just because this film isnt the typical Gladiator, No Country, or American Beauty, it doesn't deserve to be panned like it is. There were many great films this year and you just can't have them all, but the Oscars does not change that does it? Its only an award show. I'm sure Day-Lewis will win and if Juno doesn't win anything that changes nothing. The only embarassment is Norbit for best makeup.

Feb 24 - 09:11 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Also its not getting panned here, most of us are saying its really good, just not great.

Feb 24 - 11:49 AM

Raziel66

First Last

I finally got to watch all of the best picture nominees yesterday (went to the AMC showcase) and Juno was definitely a weak film compared to the rest. I'd say Atonement was a step below it though. I think I bought into the hype and expected a great comedy but I ended up watching a drama, with some humor, a pedophile, and lots of awkward dialog that seemed too forced to even be construed as natural.

I think my vote overall goes to No Country For Old Men. The utter confusion in the theater when the credits started to roll was great. That was one of those films that keeps you talking on the drive home. There Will Be Blood was great too but it started off REALLY slow and was hard to get into until the second half or so of the film.

Feb 24 - 09:14 AM

knowingtoast85

brian Firenzi

Juno was half of a good movie. The first half was too pleased with itself for me to enjoy, particularly since it didn't bother to give Juno any conflict to engage herself with. It wasn't until the basement scene that things actually started to pick up. Also, people sure do love to rip on "Knocked Up" for not establishing why Heigl's character wouldn't just get an abortion, but "Juno" approached that same issue with far less intelligence and nuance, including a chinese-american caricature speaking pidgin english and a sudden, unwarranted streak of conscience over fingernails.

And not that I let it affect my judgment of the movie, because I didn't, but I have always hated The Moldy Peaches with a fiery, unnecessary passion, and knowing that I'll have to hear them in some capacity tonight makes me sad.

Feb 24 - 11:29 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Your kinda being a little harsh on ELLEN PAGE, I mean shes only 20 ofcourse shes only gonna have a few good flicks under her belt. I thought she was great in HARD CANDY, JUNO, and I even liked her in X3- there was way to little of her in that. JUNO is just her big break out thats now getting her more attention Soon she will be in Sam Raimi's DRAG ME TO HELL (which I think will br ausome) and she's gonna be in that movie DREW BARRYMORE is directing which sounds good. Shes just getting started you make it sound like shes been acting foever without any good movies.

Feb 24 - 11:48 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 24 - 11:49 AM

AquaFina

Dominic Iseli-Smith

Oscar talk aside, I'm thrilled The Lookout got some love.

Feb 24 - 11:51 AM

reavus4983

Mike Saxton

Where did The Lookout get anything? I loved that movie, but didn't see it getting any nominations/awards.

Feb 24 - 04:17 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Exactly.

Feb 24 - 12:31 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Exactly.

Feb 24 - 12:33 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

dude.... the oscars are today? :P.... either way, i still have yet to watch Juno, i am hoping though that Sweeny Todd might win something.

Feb 24 - 03:54 PM

reavus4983

Mike Saxton

Feb 24 - 04:17 PM

mastermango

mr mango

juno sucks. it is a ripoff movie of some korean movie. it isn't anything but crap. avoid this crap.

Feb 24 - 05:09 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Best First Feature - The Lookout (Scott Frank)

This movie blows Juno out of the water and Frank should've been nominated for his screenplay and not that hipster flavour of the month ex-stripper look at me and my ridiculously witty alias overrated Cody Diablo.

Feb 25 - 07:05 AM

greg-o

greg mosher

fail
epic fail
sucks
the music was worse than richard simmons work out video
????
saurfang!!!!!!
i win
ho's

Apr 28 - 06:28 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday