Weekly Ketchup: Jurassic Park Set to Reopen in Summer of 2014

Summary

This week's Ketchup covered a seven day period in which Hollywood recovered from weeks of almost zero activity with enough newsworthy movie development announcements for two of these columns. Indeed, this writer expects some omissions to be pointed out by commenters, but hey, there's only ten slots available each week. The stories that did make the cut include high profile sequels (Jurassic Park IV, Pirates of the Caribbean 5), a much lower profile sequel (Hot Tub Time Machine 2), remakes (Ben-Hur and possibly Gremlins), and the inevitable Lance Armstrong biopic. Back to Article

Comments

Lars Ronin

Lars Ronin

I hate the media has such a hard on for Lance Armstrong, honestly, i dont think he doped everytime, i think he's just admitting to it so he can get paid.

Jan 18 - 05:32 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

That makes complete sense, in a syphilitic type of way. He was concerned about money, he probably should have sold those gold medals before they stripped them from him.

Jan 18 - 05:53 PM

Sheldon Thorne

Sheldon Thorne

His net worth is around 100 million. I dont think anything else needs to be said about your logic.

Jan 19 - 05:36 PM

Mitch Jones

Mitch Jones

He admitted to doping for every race. I think he's trying to cover himself for future law suits from the people he attacked in the past

Jan 23 - 05:33 PM

Chris Gipson

Chris Gipson

Pirates was awesome originally, but I didn't enjoy any of the three sequels, so a fifth will just be more of the same. Jurassic Park was awesome originally, but I didn't enjoy any of the three sequels, so a fifth will just be more of the same. Terminator was awesome originally, but I didn't enjoy any of the three sequels, so a fifth will just be more of the same.

I don't foresee a Gremlins remake going so well, as much as I wouldn't mind it. That movie is kind of like Howard the Duck, in the fact that a remake just doesn't stand a chance of matching the appeal of the original.

Jan 18 - 05:34 PM

Brenton M.

Brenton Malnofski

Only two Jurassic Park sequels, lol. But hold the phone, did you say you didn't enjoy Terminator 2? Dude, really? Explain yourself.

Jan 18 - 06:01 PM

Jack Treese

Jack Treese

I agree. I don't think it's possible to not like Terminator 2.

Jan 19 - 04:36 AM

Chris Buckley

Chris Buckley

You are right. It is, in fact, not possible to dislike T2.

Jan 19 - 07:30 AM

Josh Lowery

Josh Lowery

I didn't like it .. :hide:

Jan 19 - 03:47 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Annoying child=no

Jan 19 - 11:24 PM

Dave Ruth

Dave Ruth

I didn't like T2 as much as the original THE TERMINATOR.

Jan 20 - 08:56 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Jan 18 - 05:53 PM

Brenton M.

Brenton Malnofski

Jan 18 - 06:01 PM

Jack Treese

Jack Treese

I agree. I don't think it's possible to not like Terminator 2.

Jan 19 - 04:36 AM

Chris Buckley

Chris Buckley

You are right. It is, in fact, not possible to dislike T2.

Jan 19 - 07:30 AM

Josh Lowery

Josh Lowery

I didn't like it .. :hide:

Jan 19 - 03:47 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Annoying child=no

Jan 19 - 11:24 PM

Dave Ruth

Dave Ruth

I didn't like T2 as much as the original THE TERMINATOR.

Jan 20 - 08:56 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I really admire the fact that Spielberg has (so far) protected his Amblin properties from falling into the grinder of reboots churning out lately. "Gremlins" is a great little film, and I don't see any need for a remake at all.

It's very depressing to think that Patrick Lussier is still getting paid (actual money!) for excreting his ideas on paper. The studios need to burn their rolodexes for writers and find some new talent.

For the record, the only intelligence service that predates the OSS that I know of is Signal Corps, which did espionage along with radar and radio technology. I'm confused all around because I thought the author was Harold BLOOM, so I think this whole story is some kind of suspicious.

Jan 18 - 06:08 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Wrote The American Religion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Bloom

Wrote The God Problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Bloom

Wrote Dark Invasion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Blum

Three different guys.

Jan 18 - 07:21 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Gordon Terry, the country music guy;
Gordon Terry, the Brooklyn based artist;
Gordon Terry, the Florida-based Automobile Dealership owner
Gordon Terry, the Rotten Tomatoes blogger with SEVENTY-THREE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED SEVENTY-ONE page views. 4-different guys.

Jan 19 - 05:20 PM

Samantha Arias

Samantha Arias

All I see are remakes of box office breakers. When is someone actually going to come up with something original?

Jan 18 - 06:12 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

del Toro's "Crimson Peak" is original, and there are announced dates for the original "Gravity" and "1952".

Jan 18 - 06:25 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

The Gravity news is definitely exciting. Seems like we have been waiting forever on anything regarding it.

Jan 19 - 03:54 AM

Gordon Terry, the country music guy;
Gordon Terry, the Brooklyn based artist;
Gordon Terry, the Florida-based Automobile Dealership owner

Jan 19 - 05:20 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

They need to take Pirates back to the style of the original trilogy. On Stranger Tides was a step backward for that franchise and they need to push Pirates back into that darker realm that it works the best in.

And as for Jurassic Park 4, they need to build on the legacy of the original and try and recapture that sense of awe and wonder.

Jan 18 - 08:14 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I think Hot Tub TM is a pretty boss comedy. There are a surprising number of quotable lines from it and in the end, they made a serviceable movie about a time machine made out of a hot tub. Either way, Cusack was the least funny character but was the glue keeping everything together so his replacement shouldn't be too bad. I'm thinking they should use Ven Der Beek. He has kind of come into his own and shown a bit of a comedic side. Either way I'm going to slam some of this delicious Chernobly and see what happens...

Jan 18 - 09:30 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

ust as Hot Tub Time Machine took the characters back to the 1980s, one would have to speculate that the logical target for the sequel would be the 1990s.

Better to do the 50's. The 90's sucked balls.

Jan 18 - 09:59 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Ps - You guys tired of remakes and sequels, quit paying to see them... problem solved.

Jan 18 - 10:02 PM

Jack Treese

Jack Treese

Thank you!

Jan 19 - 04:37 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jan 18 - 10:02 PM

Jack Treese

Jack Treese

Thank you!

Jan 19 - 04:37 AM

dggrhm

Doug Graham

Another Terminator, huh? So, is Skynet making old-looking T-800s now? How are they going to square that circle? Getting mad about Terminator remakes doesn't make a lot of sense at this point but making part five is pretty baffling when you think that the last one wasn't that profitable considering its budget. Now they're going to resurrect the franchise by hiring two of the biggest hacks in the business. I think I'm going to be doing laundry that weekend and maybe reshingling my roof.

Jan 18 - 11:09 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

The Guillermo Del Toro movie project is the only interesting thing this week as well as in the past couple of shitty weekly ketchups.

And I'm not really looking forward to any more Terminator movies after watching that awful 4th one (yes, I liked the third one, so suck it anyone who doesn't like it). I was only interested in Sam Worthington's character & they killed him off over Bale's dead boring one; in fact, they should have made Worthington the role of John Connor.

Jan 18 - 11:53 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Yeesh, even though this week has a lot more developments, it's still pretty uninteresting. At least last week had the new Christopher Nolan film.

I have to admit having rewatched the Jurassic Park trilogy recently, I found The Lost World a lot better than I remembered. Jurassic Park 3, however, just gets weaker with every repeat viewing, so unless they can reverse the downward trend of the franchise consider me uninterested in the fourth film.

Pirates of the Caribbean has also been on a downward trend and I can't see the fifth changing things, especially with Johnny Depp probably getting really bored with the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if his performance in the fith is as dead as Sean Connery's in Diamonds Are Forever. However, I'm glad to see 1952 and The Muppets 2 getting release dates.

Not sure why they are trying to continue the Terminator franchise. Both the third and fourth films dissapointed at the box office with the fourth barely managing to cover its budget, so it's not like this franchise is a safe bet. Anyway, out of the credits listed for the screenwriters, the only one I liked was Shutter Island, so that doesn't inspire much confidence in a franchise that should have ended after the second film.

I really like Emma Stone and I think she's been pretty reliable in regards to her choices in films to star in, so I'm looking forward to Crimson Peak. The only drawback is that Guillermo del Toro tends to announce his involvement in a lot of films only to drop out of them so I tend to take any news about a new GDT movie with caution.

Jan 19 - 01:01 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday