Just One of the Guys Reviews

½ November 11, 2008
I can remember renting this one about 15 years or so, (no comments about my age, please!), and thinking it was not all that good. Have just now re-watched it as it was on Crackle, (that web site again, what did I say about bad news for me?!), and I couldn't really remember it too well. Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.
Yes, it is not the best movie going, but it actually as pretty enjoyable. Joyce Hyser (never heard of her!) does reasonably well as the girl posing as a boy - not entirely convincing all the time, but more a success than a fail. Clayton Rohner is also good as the friend she makes as a boy and then falls in love with. (Yes, full of cliches, but it's an 80's teen movie, no complaints here!). It delivers a few laughs, a bit of romance and plenty of cool 80's fashion.
½ September 6, 2010
A great drama/comedy about sexism in high school. The cast is great, and it's very funny too. Loved this movie.
movieguru12
May 6, 2008
One of those movies that at times are comical but other times are sweet. :)
Chiefilms
½ September 23, 2009
Good 80's movie because the acting is bad but in a good 80's way which doesn't make sense unless you like the 80's
½ November 7, 2006
Funny, cute, and so 80's...
June 24, 2007
This movie is OK. It has all the typical silly parts when a girl is pretending to be a guy - troubles in gym (especially in skins vs shirts), etc. I thought Joyce Hyser was fine as an actress - wonder why I have not seen her in any other movies.
nuheart
January 6, 2007
Not a big fan of 80s teen comedies, nor have I ever been particularly fond of the gender-bending variety -- this one, however, has a little more going for it. And Joyce Hyser is just HOT -- come on!
July 2, 2008
Campy 80's teen movie, but enjoyable. OK way to pass some time. Joyce Hyser's cross-gender perf is pretty good.
½ April 2, 2011
William Zabka, Yes! You had me at Brief Nudity.
½ April 1, 2008
meh
½ September 26, 2009
It has enjoyable moments but the ending is kinda dumb and Terry really isn't buyable as a guy at all. I like She's the Man a lot more.
divinetrash
June 20, 2009
I could watch this movie forever and seriously never get tired. I mean, it is so unbelieveably stupid, like most 80's teen fluff movies, but also like those same stupid 80's teen movies something just keeps you there and you're always entertained just watching people move and talk. Plus, it has Sherilyn Fenn; that should be reason enough to watch anything.
½ November 7, 2008
Hilarious 80's teen flicks. Highschool girl tries to fit in as a guy by going undercover to get a story! Her antics are hilarious and amusing as she tries to portray a guy at another local highschool and ends up looking like a geek. Amusing.
iLeo
½ April 12, 2007
A favorite.
poohtiger
December 7, 2006
One of the better of the 80's teen flicks. A girl poses as boy to get her story published for the school newspaper and complications ensue. Very, very funny. Holds up pretty good today. The brother, Buddy is hilarious.

Terry: "You know, sometimes I just wish I was a guy." Buddy: "No you don't! The male body needs sex at all times! It's a living hell!"
August 31, 2014
Terribly acted comedy about gender inequality and how it is just easier in the world if you're a guy. Hyser, scarily, makes a decent dude - kind of looks like Jake T. Austin of Wizards of Waverly Place on Disney Channel. The story is hokey and not believable in the least. I've seen many better movies on this subject.
February 12, 2010
I really don't understand why most reviewers think eighties acting is horrible. Granted, some horror films from that time might be a little cheesy, but the comedies from those years are actually funny. They don't need to try hard like comedies nowadays. That's the reason why I love watching comedy films from the eighties and early-nineties. They weren't trying to emulate their fellow films, they had original material.

Take for instance, Just One Of The Guys who had heart-throb Joyce Hyser playing Terry, a beautiful girl being stereotyped because of her looks. When she doesn't win the journalism contest at her school, she assumes it's because her looks are holding her back. So, she comes up with a plan to dress up as a guy and start over in a new school, to prove the point that her looks were the reason she was singled-out. With her hilarious, offbeat and horny younger brother Bud (Billy Jayne) by her side, she befriends a guy named Rick (Clayton Rohner) and tries to help him get a date for prom. But, over time, she soon realises he's the one for her, even after she helps him hook up with the most popular girl in school.

Just One Of The Guys is a funny, memorable film from the eighties that should be watched if haven't been viewed yet. I never get bored of this film. Even now, it's still not outdated to me. A shame this film hadn't gotten the recognition it so rightfully deserved.
May 14, 2008
A reimagining of "Tootsie" as told from a teenager. A high school girl decides to disguise herself as a boy so that she can be taken seriously as a high school reporter. With a hint of 1980's style of music, mannerisms and laughter...this laugh out loud film will leave you with flashbacks of what life was like in high school. A must see 80's film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ October 22, 2009
Ha! This film is so 80s-teen-comedy-cheesy. Thats whats great about it though. Its definitely good for a laugh and a look back at the time. Watch it with friends and take a shot whenever Buddy (Terry's bro) says or does something perverted. You'll be hammered by the end of the night.
October 10, 2009
Cute story, similar to the recent ?She?s the Man?. The cast is fun and the do a good job. Light and entertaining. It is a bit predictable, but not enough to spoil the film.